Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

To be honest, I find this post a bit disingenuous. Are you telling me that nobodies arm comes into contact with the side of someones neck when they go up to fetch a ball in any hugh fielding attempt in open play? Are all those frees too?

You are talking about watching it back, well I have done the same and still seen the same things. I think you are annoyed with the team going into blind alleys in the game, and so are now punishing them in your own way by refusing to acknowledge what is the common consensus basically everywhere except here, that the ref had a bad game and gave a huge amount of tight calls to roscommon.

Im not making excuses either - we might well have lost anyway, but Im not going to pretend it didnt happen either. The ref was poor in the game and his performance aided roscommon - whether you want to hear it or not doesnt concern me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Two guys going shoulder to shoulder. Both went for it equally as much. If oshea goes down is it a free in? Of course not - so it isnt a free out either, and talk of a black card only highlights those who dont understand what a black card is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

We have had better weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

If mayo are interested in being Sam Maguire contenders, its imperative to develop underage talent. A result like this evening does nothing for the greater good. Sheridan should do the humane thing and resign before the night is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Listening to Ah Ref here. Your man Enda having a rant about supporters not being kept updated on injuries... That's never been the case and I can hardly see it changing.

They're also suggesting a mix up that's needed in middle third. Diarmuid O'Connor to CB. Carney and Flynn midfield. Ruane to half forward. RO'D to 11.

I agree a change is needed but wouldn't be putting Ruane in the half forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Great decision holding Callinan and Touhy with the U20's so they could gain some valuable experience

They had a right cut at Sheridan as well. Squad selection, style of play and his availability to look at players all coming under fire.

They used the example that Galway played just one of their all Ireland winning minor team (as a sub) for their U20's this year... Whilst we seem to have taken on the full minor squad from last year and ignored a team of 19/20 year olds who have been playing senior/intermediate football for a couple of years now. A year or two of players who have been overlooked and not developed.

The style of football was the main thing for me. I'm nearly sure that every sideline ball and free kick went backwards yesterday. Frustrating to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

The worst thing about it is, there is talent there in that team. We are doing something very right at underage when you see the likes of Callinan and Tuohy coming through as ready to go intercounty players. But ultimately to keep the pipeline we need success or at least to be competitive!

Mayo losing doesn't make that a bad decision IMO

• Advertisement

Hard to argue with the points on Sheridan, the style of play is putrid and the results have been shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ruane can’t field a ball. Big problem. Tyrone exposed it in the final that time big time. Maybe if he was at wing forward might take the pressure off him a bit And something has to be done about centre back. Loftus and Doherty are not defenders. Diarmuid would be suited to that role

OTB had a similar commentary about our mid third. It's not something I thought before but they suggested we're weak under a high ball.

Pointed out that opposing midfielders are coming away with big performances from Mayo games, they listed out 4 or 5, Smith, Maher, Moran and a Kildare lad all in the last 12 months

Ruane has the talent but isn't performing, Carney and Flynn are green and will be inconsistent until they get a bit of experience. Loftus is weak but they seem determined to stick with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Wouldn't mind seeing DOC there to see how he gets on. Coen could also do a job there imo - frees up a wing back spot for Hession/McHugh/McLaughlin. If Swannie got back to some form & fitness, I wouldn't mind giving him a go there either

Fully agree about CB. I think I would have Coen there (because let's face it, he seems certain of a spot and he has upped his game lately) rather than Diarmuid. Diarmuid has been doing a lot of covering for CB all year but he covers all around the field and I don't think he can do that at CB as much.

I would be inclined to drop Ruane for a game rather than put him in the HF line, as that might give him the kick that seems to be needed.

All that said, I don't really see McStay / Rochford changing CB... I get the impression they've gone all in on Loftus and they won't be for changing that now.

Also agree on Coen rather than Diarmuid!

The Loftus project reminds me of using Kevin McLoughlin as a sweeper!!

The frustrating thing about the Loftus thing is that while the weakness of him playing there has been fairy obvious... I'm not sure we've seen much of the supposed upside at all, it's not as if he has been drilling in perfect ball to the forwards, it's not as if he has been adding to the scoreboard...

Rochford was a fan of some outside of the box thinking but it was usually game / opponent specific and I think he quickly changed things when they didn't work. This seems more like McStay digging his heels in and persisting with it until it maybe works.

It was a very divisive approach though. I remember McLoughlin at one point himself shouting at the sideline what do you want me to do, dont remember which game that was but it was one of the qualifiers in croke park i think?

Maybe its not a fair comparison as there was people who thought McLoughlin was working out there. I don't see anyone saying Loftus as CB is a good idea!

No, I don't see any huge positives from Loftus at 6 and plenty of possible downside (although I don't think it has really been exploited yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

I think Touhy, even at 19 years old, would add hugely to the Mayo midfield. He's 6 foot 4" and a great fielder. He's a head's up, kick passer rather than the head-down and run hard type like Ruane is. Despite people saying he needs more time, he is physically imposing already.

The most important thing in bringing players through at that age is not that they are winning games, its that they are following a development programme that will leave them ready to make the step up to IC, when needed. We have seen that Callinan and Touhy are both nearly there and at this stage of their development and would be much better off having been on the bench last Sunday than playing last night. And as it transpired they would have been just what was needed off the bench. With McBrien and Hession out, Callinan could have been an option on Smith or Murtagh. Would have been a great learning experience following on from his league final performance. I think and Touhy could have helped the midfield issues as even though he is not fully developed physique wise, his fielding and mobility would have been a great asset off the bench with the way the match transpired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Midfield been a problem for a couple of years imo. Used to be one of our strongest areas, which is why I think people don't always think about it, but that's not the case anymore. I don't know what the solution is with Ruane but it's not working at the moment with him in the middle and hasn't for a while now. I don't think the few weeks break is going to make much difference for him either unless there are some positional changes or such like. Flynn is struggling with form too the last few games.

I actually would like to see Diarmuid at 6. I think it's worth trying but I can see management persisting with Loftus tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Hard to believe that 2014 was the last time Mayo beat either Galway or Roscommon in Championship football at home

Callinan was on the bench on Sunday.

Whether he was ever really an option or not, is another story. It certainly looks like there was some understanding that he wouldn't be played if in any way possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

No point in having him on the bench then.

I think Bob was played in midfield in one of the latter league games (Monaghan maybe??). And it didn't work out for him at all.

Completely bossed by the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

Can't understand how Sheridan picked most of the players from the Under 17s last year. There's a huge difference between a 17/18 year old and some lad 19/20. The style of football was awful too. Every free they got nearly went backwards. Total muck to be honest.

What Touhy offered was ability to win primary possession from kick outs. And a kick passing option. Would he have made a difference, maybe not. Would his development have been better served facing a confident Roscommon team that playing alongside a bunch of barely 18 year old's in their first competitive game outside minors, definitely. For one he would have gotten high octane championship experience in what was essentially a game that did not matter.

There is a group of quality players who have come through post 2018 who have never got out of connacht at U20. Mullin(😪), Hession, Touhy, Callinan, E.McLoughlin, Coyne, McBrien etc... It shows getting integrated into development squads and getting game time with senior panels does a lot more to bring through inter county players than winning a couple of u20 games.

We ended the game with Loftus and Jason DOC on the field in defence... So the chances of Callinan being used must have been extremely slim. Almost to the point that he shouldn't have been named on the bench but who knows if there was going to be a scenario where they played him.

Enda on the Ah Ref podcast reckoned it was a sure sign that McStay may not have been fully committed to getting the win. I would tend to agree. If it was a knock out game, I think McStay would have started Callinan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think our pendulum has swung way too far to the negative regarding the seniors. I understand the criticism of midfield and Loftus at 6, but we won the league looking very good in the most part doing it, with these in place.

The loss of McBrien was significant and I pointed out here before that we don’t have a like for like replacement.

Carr as well takes pressure of AOS , because he takes minding with his eye for goal. Add in Hession who can do lots of roles like another attacking threat as against Tyrone or as a man marker like against Kerry.

if those three are back, we are well set for a decent championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Just thinking about this and really it has been a problem for years.

The 2 Tyrone midfielders really made themselves known in the 21 AI final. David Moran always played hell against us, going back to 2014. Any time we play Galway one of their midfielders cause trouble! Maher in the league final, Conroy last year, Tom Flynn always played well against us during Rochford's tenure and Ciaran Duggan got man of the match in one of our championship matches.

Probably others I've forgotten, but we always seem to make heroes out of midfielders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lads one loss and you are falling apart. I taught this team was the best thing since the sliced pan.

Slava Ukrainii

its not one loss that's being mourned. its the flaccid form displayed during the loss. reflective of mayos loss to tyrone in 21. the most headless performance in living memory.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think people got inflated with hot air with the league performances and league title win. Mayo looked jaded last sunday and understandably so after the previous sunday, but we are not a serious contender for SAM and while we may make the latter end of the championship, we will not win it unless we have savage luck. We need all the guys back in particular hession who could play CB instead of the suggestions above who lack pace. We have problems breaking down defensive teams and most likely will play our best football in CP, but I still think we will come up short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

And it's ok if we don't. To win the league in the first year of new management is a massive achievement. We cannot expect the youngsters to come in and work all the way to SAM in the first year. These youngsters will take a couple of years to come good - Callinan, Big Bob, McHugh, Coyne, Carney, Hession, Towey. Diarmuid O Connor, Mattie Ruane, Jordan Flynn, Paddy Durkan, Stephen Coen are around the 26-28 mark. So have plenty of good years ahead. Ryan O'Donoghue and Tommy Conroy are only 24 and 23 respectively.

I could be over optimistic, but I am excited for what the next 3 years holds for Mayo GAA. I don't know if they will win the big prize, but they should be there or there abouts within the next 2 years.

• Advertisement

what was the average age of the dublin squad when they won the 5 in a row.

i do still think Mayo are AI contenders this year, maybe we don't have the best team we ever had, but neither has any other county. i think generally the standard has dropped to the point where we should be looking to steal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

That would be my attitude too. Derry reached a semi final last year while Galway were very competitive in the All Ireland final.

No reason we can't give it a serious crack this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Sligo had only 3 U17s from last year on the panel: Ethan Carden (goalie) and Ronan Niland (late replacement for injured James Donlon) both started and Dillon Walsh came on as a 2nd half sub. Bob Touhy is a big unit when you see him up close. I thought he was going to destroy our lads on his own but during the game I couldn't say that he stood out. I know he scored 2 points but his opposite number Dylan Walsh (the other one!) scored a point and gave a near man of the match performance. Mayo's biggest issue was the speed (or lack of it) they moved the ball. They did a huge amount of sideways/ backwards passing with nobody breaking the Sligo defensive line. Sligo were somewhat guilty of the same but to nowhere near the same degree as Mayo and fairly often managed to pass to a runner who made good ground. The Mayo kickouts were also poor but you can't put all of the blame on the goalie. There are two sides to every kickout: the kicker and the receivers; the receivers didn't exactly make it easy for the goalie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Agree totally on the quality drop but we have also dropped. Tyrone(21) and Kerry(22) are probably the worst teams to have won the all ireland since Cork in 2010. Dublin (COC), Kerry(Clifford) and Galway(walsh) just have probably the best three forwards between them, who would pull either of them over the line with a piece of brilliance. We just don't have anyone of that top drawer tbh...ROD is the closest

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Has Biden managed to lift the curse? 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I thought the pope did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

yeah but he was on the same side as the lad that put on the curse !!!

Good win for the minors last week. You would have to assume Deane will get the u20 job next year.

Any word on the seniors? I'm hoping they let the hair down last week, I wonder will they get a bit of warm weather training in.

Ref seemed to think they'd get a week away

Interesting to see Tyrone yesterday, IMO probably highlights the case that the top teams in Connacht and Ulster won't be concentrating on winning their province

i said we dropped in quality too? ??? Dont agree Re the kerry team last year, I think they would have won any other year, except the 6 in a row... also, we bet galway in the final 3 weeks ago. so regardless of their individual performers, mayos collective is greater than galways collective.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Well done to sligo on retaining the U20 title. Similar to last year, a late push sees them over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

They fully deserved that too in all fairness. You'd hope that a 2 in a row provincial winning group will strengthen Sligo's senior ranks and that they'll be tooth and nail with Big 3 in the next while. Coming back from 2 points down late in the game away in Tuam is the sign of a mentally strong group too.

Yeah, they're definitely making progress - didn't they win the Connacht A&B schools this year too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Correct! They have two strong schools in summerhill and St attractas.

Summerhill takes in Sligo Town and surrounding areas.

St attractas tubbercurry and most of south sligo.

Summerhill well beaten in all ireland A final to omagh cbs.

St attractas lost by one point in all ireland semi final to thurles who went on to win as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement