Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use Dublin bus

Options
  • 07-04-2023 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to use Dublin bus without embarrassing myself. I have a leap card and I want to get from Whitehall to city centre. Last time I used it I put the leap card on the pad thing beside the driver and told him where I was going. E then deducted the cost from my card. However someone told me all journeys are the same price now? Is that right? Do I still need to show driver my leap card or can I swipe it on the side thingy?also the last time I got the bus people got off at the top of the bus but same person told me we should not get off at the top of the bus anymore??

Wish they had a video or something on their website to show what you do. I find if hard to find info on their website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Swipe it off the side reader for a journey of that distance, only go to driver if very short trip. Exit middle doors if bus has middle doors

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

As Caranica said if it's a very short journey, use the pad beside the driver.

Otherwise, Leap fares are €2 at present, just tap your card on the validator beside the bus door as you get on the bus. If you take a second bus or Luas within 90 minutes, there is no further charge for that journey.

Yes, exit via the middle doors. It was brought in as a measure during the pandemic. Before that, they weren't always used plus the older buses didn't always have them.

It's usually announced automatically on the bus a few times and scrolls across the screen at the front of the bus regularly during the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭beachhead

If,you are on a bus with no doors in the middle make sure you are the front doors before the bus stops.Otherwise you will be knocked over by people getting on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Otherwise, Leap fares are €2 at present, just tap your card on the validator beside the bus door as you get on the bus. If you take a second bus or Luas within 90 minutes, there is no further charge for that journey.

On this point, you do still tap the card again for the second journey, and it will record as zero charge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, that's correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 MyUnicornWorld

Thanks everyone, I assume I do not have to tap again getting off?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, you don't tap on leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And there's been a lot of route changes so what used to be served by single route may now be served by others going to different destinations ... don't assume just because you are standing at a bus stop thee bus will pull in. Put the hand out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

That's right, don't tap exiting the bus

Luas and Dart are different - you scan your leap card both getting on and off at the station

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

And make sure to say "I love you" to the driver when you get off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you are meant to disembark at the middle doors so best to say it when you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Regarding the 90 minutes - is it 90 minutes from the start of the first journey or 90 minutes from the end of the first journey?

...and can it be a return journey on the same route?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

90 minutes in total, so yes, from start of first journey.

Yes, absolutely, if I go into town and only have a quick errand and am back on the bus home within 90 minutes, the return journey is free.

Advertisement