Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

People shoplifted from this man's business because of pedestrianisation apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭iniscealtra

@Sam Russell have used Blabla car in France. You put up your journey on the app and a set amount. The passanger her books it with card. Nó cash changed hands. Set amount taken out when you rate the journey if I remember. Much cheaper than the train if. There were 4 of us in the car as passangers from the train station in Brest i think to Quimper. Myself and my OH and two other singles. Paid the petrol for the journey easily. Seems to be in the U.K. now too.

https://www.blablacar.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That sounds like a bad approach as there is little to no oversight or regulation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is more or less the problem with all "sharing" apps which seem sensible on first look and then fall into a hole of becoming professionalised without the oversight and regulation. For now BlaBla works quite well (and its better/safer than hitchhiking), but as anything becomes more popular you get those looking to take advantage of it. And then eventually everyone realises why regulations were brought in in the first place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just saw this tweet and I thought of this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Like seriously where is the guiness truck trying to go?

I noticed today that the cycle lane on Conningham Road, usually chocoblock with parked cars is now coned off, not to protect cyclists but to stop cars parking there for the Biden visit *Eye roll*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Those short poles are actually there to be driven over, so there's almost certainly a parking spot or delivery zone there.

In saying that though, he shouldn't be driving over the big poles at all, they get wrecked very easily.

EDIT: Ah, just read further into the article, and the pub has turned their loading bay into a outdoor drinking area, so zero sympathy there, they need to unload legally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

apart from that, as the cyclist points out in the video - solid white line means a mandatory cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Someone else noted that it isn't 100% clear that the outdoor seating area was ever a formal loading bay - from Streetview it can be seen that it was previously a taxi rank and before that a left turning lane, but I guess in practice a taxi rank would have acted as a loading bay as needed.

Regardless though - the driver went right into and over the first high vis 'flag' pole which definitely isn't there for that purpose, and as the poster of the video on Twitter pointed out, the mandatory cycle lane turns into an advisory cycle lane further down, so the driver could have pulled in there.

It's symptomatic of a widespread problem though that's been already alluded to - commercial operators are allowed to take the piss and facilitated by the councils through putting in those flexible poles and baby Orcas that they can run over, and then the councils/local reps not giving two f*cks or complicitly turning a blind eye "BeCaUse HaRd WoRkinG DriVeRs".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Have you say on the Draft Phoenix Park Parking strategy, from tomorrow. I'd include a link to the strategy here, but it's not up on the site anywhere that I can find. Maybe it'll pop up tomorrow.

The consultation survey is out and its incredibly poor, like really, really shite. I was honestly stunned when I got to the last page was like "is that it, wtf"

The draft strategy document is actually quite good and goes into a massive amount of detail and the the survey......asks 7 questions and one of those is whether you live in Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

That article has been updated since you posted it to include the following:

The Government will not introduce congestion charges, the Taoiseach has told the Dáil ... "There is no proposal from this Government to introduce congestion charges. Certainly not under this Government and not in the foreseeable future".

Good, IMO. If you want cars off the streets, take them off the streets, and don't have a situation where some people who can afford it, are allowed to drive.

It doesn't need to be an extortionate amount to have an effect.

Also, I don't buy the "can't afford it" line. If you have a car you're paying tax, insurance, maintenance, NCT, fuel, and parking. Not to mention depreciation.

A car is a colossal money pit so a congestion charge is not going to break the bank.

As for impact on traffic, road safety and air quality, if you have a congestion charge, high hourly parking rates, reduced priority and removal of on street parking then regardless, it becomes an inconvenience to drive in. You can still do it, it just becomes a hassle and the alternatives become more appealing.

A congestion charge will not fix anything on its own, nor will any one element, but stack them up (carrots and sticks) and the modal shift follows as sure as night follows day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

PT is my default when in Dublin. I've driven inside the M50 just once, as far as Dundrum Centre unplanned. My world has yet to fall apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

In one European country, Germany I think, large trucks are not allowed in the city centre. Instead they have to go to a depot outside of the city, unload & a small van brings the goods into the city. I don't see why that shouldn't work here?

I'm all for fewer cars in the town's & cities but we need a good transport service & if that means buses & trams or even an underground then so be it! We need dedicated bus lanes with more one way systems & more traffic wardens to enforce the rules.

That was insane.

Like, I get that it's a parking strategy, but it completely ignores the fact that the government has a Climate Action Plan that's meant to reduce car use, and instead most of the options that people get to vote on are about increase car parking spaces. If they all went ahead, there'd be over a thousand more car parking spaces in or around the park.

Also ignores their own report, people told them that bus routes into the park would be the biggest driver of change, and yet there's zero questions about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah, it's ridiculous some of the massive lorries companies are using to deliver into built up areas here. There's a Sports Direct near me and once a week an articulated juggernaut drives down the main street and blocks the whole place up as it reverses into the SD carpark. It's totally inappropriate but it suits Sports Direct to be able to send out one huge truck rather than several smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Don't see the point in congestion charging. Oslo has achieved a much greater reduction in car use by making its city centre access only. We could do the same by simply preventing cars travelling east-west on either side of O'Connell Bridge then go about making all roads in the city centre one lane per direction, remove all the turning lanes on a phased basis. Congestion charging is a complexity we don't need and won't be able to manage anyway. All attempts at camera enforcement have failed so congestion charging will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bit stupid of DCC to tweet this in my opinion. Basically show a part of the street being tarmacked. It's going to look a lot better when finished but all this has done is fed the dublinistheworstmostdangerousbiggestkipontheplanetfullofromascum trolls with ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They do phrase it correctly in the tweet, but most of those trolls see the opportunity to flex their fingers anyways

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Mad Max was a documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I look on enviously at the likes of Germany, the Netherlands and even Spain and France and the progress they have made recently with their public transport and active travel measures while we stay stuck in the 1960s car brained Anglosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

I wouldn't agree on the point about the 1960s or on the point about the Anglosphere. If we were stuck in the 1960s, we'd still have cars going down Grafton Street and Henry Street, through Galway's main thoroughfare of Shop/High/Quay Streets and in various other places in the country.

On the point about the Anglosphere I'll draw your attention to one contradictory example from just up the road in the North. The new A6 Dungiven->Derry Dual Carriageway has just opened, which has two Bus Park N' Rides - one at Claudy and the other at the terminus at Drumahoe (Derry). Further along the Belfast road you'll find Park n Rides at the following junctions: Maghera, Castledawson, Toomebridge, Dunsilly and TemplePatrick (Ballymartin). That's seven Bus Park n Rides adjacent to the Motorway/Dual Carriageway on the Derry->Belfast road.

How many do we have adjacent to our Motorways? It's almost as if Bus Park n' Rides are illegal in this Republic, such is the dearth of them.

Let's not blame being part of the Anglosphere for our own lack of willingness. We're quite capable of taking the examples of best practice from non-Anglophone countries when we want to.

Advertisement