Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone exit Suckler system??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

If you have a decent number of acres and depending on land type, Organic farming has to be worth looking at imo.

Could be one for a whiteboard.

A swot analysis or something. It’s good to get ideas down in paper or on a board and see what the current situation is and how it could be improved.

With all this talk of dairy expansion I wonder has anyone gone in to goat milking? Goats cheese is nice. Must be a decent market for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭50HX

Land here not good enough for organic

I kinda did the whiteboard thing &tbh the biggest takeaway was the time sucklers consume along with the cost

I looked at it with a friend whose from the city & wouldn't know a heifer from a bullock but great to hear a a completely different viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

I genuinely think anyone that is at sucklers doesn't realise how handy life could be at drystock.

I reared 50 calves on an computerised feeder here last year. It took no more than 20 minutes a day Monday to Friday. Every Saturday morning their shed was cleaned out, swept, limed and re-bedded. Then 20 minutes a day again. No calving of sucklers, getting them back in calf and all of the time and danger that's associated with them.

For a part time farmer dry stock is a far better option imo, be that rearing calves, buying weanlings or buying stores. Sucklers are too time consuming and end up eating time that should be spent on family or the day job that actually pays the bills.

Well if you have a 6 month winter then I think a change to lighter stock that could stay out longer could be an option.

There is a lot of work in bucket rearing calves.

The labour element of sucklers is greatly reduced with cows that can calve on their own to a relatively easy calving bull and have the calf drinking themselves.

Like I wouldn’t be interested in farming if I wasn’t producing something on the farm be it breeding stock, dairy or crops.

You could buy a few stock in the late spring each year to keep the grass down and shift them to the lads buying for the sheds in October.

• Advertisement

Like I said in my post above, bucket rearing is an outdated concept. Computerised feeder and the labour is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

How much did the the feeder cost?

I have around 10 cows calved outside this spring. Takes around 2 minutes to feed them. Zero bedding and none of them needed assistance even at calving.

You touch on a good point there about docility. It’s crucial in any livestock.

The op clearly wants to change system. Like I said above maybe teaming up with a dairy farmer to source calves might be an option?

If you have a 6 month winter typically then that would make any livestock operation a challenge.

Rearing calves is hard. Fresh bedding every day, scours, pneumonia etc.

You said you are down to single digits in terms of cows now and getting cash for silage ground etc.

It’s important to replace the p and k lost in silage.

It might be worth chatting with your advisor. A lot of lads rearing calves pack it in. If you had someone you could trust to buy you a load of yearlings every spring it might be a better option.

Mine is there since last year but it was €10,500 +VAT. VAT claimed back as its a fixed item, then 40% grant left it at €6300.

• Advertisement

Ideally you should try and talk to a lad doing calf to beef locally. Get his opinion. Or your advisor.

A lot of the lads quoted in the journal and on agriland etc are on good land with maybe a 3 month winter.

If you have a 6 month winter and have to keep them till 30 months then would it make sense?

Just because there are grants for equipment etc won’t make a difference if it doesn’t make sense as an enterprise for your set up.

A lot of lad's at sucklers pack it in too Bark. Now more than ever with the cost of inputs.

The scours, pneumonia etc can be a problem I admit, but they aren't, and haven't been here for the last 3 years since I started rearing calves. Granted I rear my own, they all get 4+ litres of biestings. The biggest thing needed in my opinion is a shed that can be cleaned out and bedded quickly and easily. If you have that you will do it regularly and a dry clean bed is a huge necessity at the calf game.

There has been a significant exodus from sucklers.

It’s rare to even see sucklers now. All I see is lads expanding in dairy cows (lads milking 100 trying to get to 200 lads milking 300 trying to get to 500) so there should be no shortage of calves to pick from when doing calf to beef.

Ideally you could get accurate genomic detail when buying.

You are right on the shed. Needs to be clean with good ventilation.

I have a lot of respect for dairy lads that finish there own calves and take pride in their stock and don’t treat them like a byproduct.

Surely pallets are a better option with the space narrowed so the calf can’t hurt his leg

Yeah but say for the first mont or so. When the calves get bigger you could remove the pallets.

The right job would be a slant in the concrete for a natural drain off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think if I was building a calf shed, I'd have one pen constantly free and rotate all the pens cleaning the pens in turn. I hate to have a build up of straw in a pen. With large numbers, I'd be inclined to have separate sheds too to minimise disease spreading throughout the entire lot.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Not sure but I think second-hand computerised feeders can be got for €2-3k on DoneDeal.

Even the €6,300 Grueller paid isn't huge money given the time/labour saved.

If I stay rearing calves, I'd be seriously considering it.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

For anyone with an off farm job that results in the farm paying tax in the high band you’d save half the price of the feeder on your tax bill too which makes it a small investment then for what it does.

If you’re going to rear 50 calves a year and average the price out over 10 years or so worth of calves you’d be talking about a fiver a calf to save all the mixing and carrying buckets.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Funny thing though is suckler springing heifers / cows with calves at foot are easily making €2000 + here in the NW

I don’t think you could buy a decent LMX or SIX 600kg + springing heifer for €1700 - €1800 these days

Probably a supply and demand thing. Less and less quality stock floating around

Sure the cow is surely worth 1400 and the calf if any way decent is worth 600

• Advertisement

You mustn’t have looked very hard, there are about 900,000 suckler cows in this country.

You said it’s rare to see one which is clearly nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just to add, I'm a suckler and calf to beef farmer. Slowly the Suckler numbers have been dropping. Will they every go, don't think so, mainly because I enjoy calving a few cows, improving breeding.

On the auto calf feeders, it's my 1st year with one. By god is it some time saver and body saver. 10 mins twice a day during the week and a clean out of the shed on a Saturday. I was lucky I scrapped in with the young farmers grant application at the end of the first 5 years so got 60%. Like grueller got the vat back. So the total out lay was €4100 to be written off over 7 years Its small money when you are at the higher tax bracket with off farm work. It bring the cost back to approx €2050.

On the shed front, it's in a 5 span lean to open on the east side. Gates are sheeted. Feeder is in the middle pen and calves are spilt in 2 bunches. When cleaning out I lock then into the middle pen near the feeder and clean out the bedding area. I leave a large square of straw in and another on top. Serves 2 jobs extra shelter and bedding only a matter of knock down a few flakes. A bit of thinking on hanging a few gates can make life very easy.

Calf to beef is profitable but only if you can take them the whole way. As Bass says there's only margin for one person in the beast.

Part time work with calf to beef can work very well, you have light yearlings that can go to grass early, you tend to have a lower demand for grass at the start of the year. Heavy ground they suit well, with a few strips wires and keep moving and back fencing .

After my few weeks running with an auto feeder, it's revolutionary to my springtime daily routine. Not tied to the clock when calves have to be feed. Very little washing up and great info on calves. I don't miss the bawling of calves waiting to be fed and I haven't picked up a bucket with calves this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Jim Simmental it the same here in the North East which would be heavy dairy country, good suckler cows / springing heifers are €2,000 +, I see Jalex has a sale coming up soon and I can bet there will more nearer the €3,000 mark than the €2,000 mark.

There are pros and cons for every system of farming, full time farmers have to be able to pay the bills every month and the best system for this is dairy. For part time farmers then there is an element of trying best to balance the full time job with the part time farm. These farmers can experiment a bit and use combinations to try and get the best return from the time and money invested. It could be sheep, pigs, chickens, sucklers, dairy calf to beef or snails. There is money to be made on all these if you can get it to work for you. I know on my own farm I would like to explore the idea of a few chicken houses as it seems a steady way of having a steady income, but the cattle would probably have to go and use the land for tillage to use up the chicken dung. If there was more money paid for willows then that could be an option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭monseiur

On the income side of cows & cattle in general should the ANC grant & Single Farm Payments be taken in account as without stock you cannot draw down the different grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@monseiur yes I do anyway because its all part of the farm income that lead to the profit on the farm, just like i said the €160 a cow I received last year for the suckler cow grants to calculate the €1060 more I received for my suckler bred stock over my bucket fed calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How much is the annual maintenance/service contract

• Advertisement

Will you be buying an automated calf feeder and maybe redirecting some of those trucks taking live calves to your farm to be reared so they can avoid the veal treatment?

Advertisement