Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oconnelleoin

Happened to me last week, was in the dealer with it but they couldn’t find any errors, they weren’t able to reproduce the issue down there either.

They did update something on the door and asked me to keep an eye out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wonder if it's the warmer weather, car was sitting in the sun for a few hours beforehand

I'd hardly call it scorching hot though

Will be giving the garage a call tomorrow but I suspect they won't be able to see it

Bit weird when a door needs a software update isn't it. Hope it fixes the problem, I might my local garage about it.

Did the update or reset or whatever take long?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

If they need to sort anything it’s their infotainment and software. It feels like something from 2010. Was an ID buzz yesterday and can’t believe they made no effort to update it.

but yes after that it would be those side plastic panels. Running below the doors

I actually like the plastic panels, had a few close calls with high kerbs and the plastic is much easier to fix up than paint

If you watch some of the ID.7 videos the infotainment is much snappier. Bjorn Nylands video shows a lot of using the screen, couldn't spot any lag at all

Hopefully the rest of the cars get updated hardware soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I had the problem with the driver side passenger door not closing on occasion and sometimes had an issue with the drivers door not opening properly from the inside.

When the car went in for a service I asked for them to be checked. Both doors failed the diagnostic and both had to have locks/latches replaced (warranty). Was told the doors on the other side were checked and we’re fine.

replaced both puddle lights at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Has anyone managed to get an alternative to the Cubic Telecom data plans for the ID?

Mine expired last week and now i cant connect to the car with the app, which makes charging a pain as I can't see where its at.

i believe the e-sim is hard-coded into the car, but is there any way to use another plan or a physical sim?

You don't need the data plans to use the app, just the We Connect Start contract which should last 3 years

but doesn't the car have to be in online mode?

For the last week, it hasn't been able to get a connection in the car, so I presumed that was to do with the cubic telecom thing? when I went into data plans on the we connect app, it brings me out to cubic which says I have no plan. Might contact vw on it, where did you see it being active for 3 years?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sometimes the car can lose connection for a few days. You can force a reset by taking out fuse 19. Or just leave’s it and it’ll come back

might try a hard reset of the infotainment system first. Not going to go randomly pulling fuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anyone having problems with the app today? Mine logged me out and I can’t get the basic services anymore

yup. samesies.

Hard reset never worked for me

The guys in the garage can reset the telematics unit and that'll fix it. Or it'll fix itself after a few days

I noticed mine kept losing connection for a few months and then it just fixed itself. I think it was down to the local network rather than the car in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seadal

As my 77KWH Life didn't have tyre sealant or compressor in the boot, I assumed my tyres were runflats (Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 ev 255/50 R19). I recently changed the 2 back tyres and the tyre guy told me that their not runflat.

I queried this with the dealer and, eventually, was told that my tyres are self sealing (haven't heard of these) and that the higher spec models come with compressor and tyre sealant but not the life. I could buy the kit from them for €300 plus vat.

Does this sound right?

I'm thinking why would the higher spec models need the kit but not the lower spec. Worried about getting a puncture now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

you should be able to pick up a compressor kit fairly cheap (check amazon) and the tube of puncture repair goo as well

Yeah, just wondering is the dealer fobbing me off. After spending 50k on a car then the kit should be included if it's needed, if it's not needed then why include it with higher spec cars

Has anyone had a puncture with the self sealing tyres?

I had a puncture last year while in the UK, the self sealing managed to patch the first screw

Second one, however, proved to be too much

I ended up calling VW roadside assistance and they got the AA out to put a temporary plug in. I then went to a tyre shop which made a more permanent fix, tyre has been holding since after 6 months and a few thousand kilometres

Technically the self sealing tyres aren't supposed to be repaired, the guys in the tyre shop explained this and I just asked them to get me from Cornwall to Holyhead and I'd accept the risk that the repair might fail.

My general recommendation would be to avoid the tyre repair goop like the plague, it means the tyre definitely can't be repaired

The AA guy used a tyre plug gun like below, I might pick up one myself

I also got a heavy duty air compressor. I tried the plastic ones you get witn the roadside safety kits and they just don't have the power to inflate the tyre. Here's the one I got, so far it's been brilliant (albeit bulky and a bit expensive)

It's worth remembering with any of these tyre repair systems that they're only designed to get you to a repair shop. You can of course do whatever you want but after dealing with one puncture I was happy to spend the €25 it cost to get a proper repair done

The other thing I'd look into is what roadside assistance you have available. I used VW roadside assistance, and they got there eventually but I had to go through the Irish office who would then speak to AA UK and getting updates was a pain

Aviva have free roadside assistance so they might be better equipped having a larger customer base and I might look at getting AA membership if I'm heading abroad again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I’d kick up a fuss with the dealer that these should be included. I doubt if they cost a fraction of €300. A complaint in writing to VW Ireland would be worth a go also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I got the kit in my 52Kwh city model. So unless it’s new thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

I just checked and I got the kit, including compressor in my 2023 ID.4 Life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

I assume you would need to have a jack and way of taking off the wheel to use those plugs

Honestly I think they just fit whatever tyres are in stock when they build the car, doesn't seem to be much of a system to it

You'll need a jack, but you can put the plugs in without taking the wheel off. Or at least the AA guy could

You will probably need to turn the wheel to make the puncture more accessible, which requires two people in the ID.4, one to sit in the driver's seat and one to turn the wheel.

Otherwise the handbrake will automatically switch on as soon as you get out

So it might be easier then to take the wheel off if you're driving solo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No, not needed at all. The hard part is finding the screw/nail.

Once you find it, if it’s the front wheel, just turn the wheel to access it. If it’s the rear, you’ll have to roll forward of back so the nail is pointing out to the rear and then you can do the job.

I’ve done them on Kia’s, bmw, Tesla and transits without any jack at all. Life savers.

Do you use the ribbon type plugs or the mushroom shaped ones?

The ribbon ones seem to be a lot more popular but there seems to be a bit of a technique to them so I'd be worried I'd be about ready to scream after the third failed attempt

The plug ones by contrast seem a bit more idiot proof

Tbh, I'd be happy enough to get both. They aren't hugely expensive and don't take up a lot of space

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ribbon.

First time using them was at home a few years back so was able to plug stress free but it meant when it was needed out on the road, you didn’t panic as you knew exactly what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Car still offline on the app. Everytime I get into the car I tap online mode.

Thanks for this advice, will definitely pick up these or something similar

On a slightly separate issue, how does the tyre pressure monitor work? My previous car would give me the pressure value for each tyre so I could top up when needed but with the ID4 I haven't topped up in 12 months. Does a warning come up if a particular tyre goes low?

• Advertisement

Advertisement