Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stevvieo

Thanks 👍 just have a million questions since I got the offer 🤣

Didn't know you get to drive a bus on the first day, that sounds great. Had a driver tell me he was only out twice driving in the 6 weeks of training and that it was all classroom tests.

Just very excited now 🤣👍

I was told in my interview that they would inform me before references were rang just because in the past alot of current employers were called and it was a shock they were put down as references 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

I think I'm going to go ahead an apply ,

I'm in a stable job on 40 g a year but im just getting bored of office work , i need to change something,

I wonder is there anywhere you can go after Dublin bus that would make you more money ?

What are the normal hours & days of the week, i know its 5 days but what are shifts like,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

You will work a block of duties over 5 weeks. 2 Sundays in 5, 3 Saturdays in 5. There's a short weekend off (Sat/Sun), and a long weekend (Sat/Sun/Mon) during that too. 2 weeks will be early, 2 late,and 1 mixed week. You get used to the shift work, but it can be stressful sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarahcakes

Hi, just wanted to ask at what stage do people do the theory test for the d license, do people do it beforehand or wait until they are further into the recruitment process? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So you never get a full weekend off unless its a booked holiday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

A full weekend is Sat/Sun which there is 2 of in each 5 week cycle. Here it is done easier

Yes, there is 2 weekends off, in the 5 week block. The second one also has the Monday off.

I was in the training school today doing the latest cpc module, and the place was jammers with people being interviewed. There was 20 - 30 in total all day and with 12 drivers doing the cpc course, and all the new intake of drivers being trained, there must have been about 50 people in the place at one time.

I also spoke with one of the managers who interviewed a guy who was 64 a few weeks ago, and he told me that he has done so many interviews lately, he couldn't say if he got the job or not, but he said that he probably did, as he had a good interview. I don't think I've ever seen the place so busy.

What's it like first week of training?

• Advertisement

Driving, Driving, more driving and lots of encouragement. Uniforms, bank accounts for wages, all necessary stuff to get you on your way.

Had a conversation with a union rep this morning and he was told from HR, that they have turned out 64 drivers in the last 6 months and through retirements and resignations, we have lost 62. Hard to keep the service going like this.

No way, I didn't realise things were looking that bad in terms of drivers. No wonder this recruitment drive is going on so long and advertised everywhere you look. My father in law works in there and he said he's never seen so many people being trained in the 20 years he's been at the company.

I start training on Monday, really looking forward to it. A new challenge. A little nervous but more excited than anything else. Is there any sort of preference for the depots? As i live on the North side and it would be a nightmare if I got Ringsend, Clontarf or Donnybrook. The letter of employment says you will be assigned a depot based on our needs. Either way I'll make it work.

Have they done away with the family doctor? As far as I know it's only for yourself, were as before it covered your partner and kids.

Thanks for the feedback 👍

Which depot you get is in the lap of the gods, but I would hazard a guess at Phibsboro or Broadstone.

Not sure about the doctor now, mine covers the whole family. (Well, myself and the Mrs. ) No kids young enough anymore.

Fingers crossed on the depot 🤞 either one of those would be ideal.

Would I need a shirt and tie for the first day? 🤣 was thinking a pair of jeans. Just casual. I know you get the uniform the first day but don't want to be uncomfortable looking like I'm going to a wedding or something 🤣

Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Re: the rosters, keep in mind that on the long weekend not only do you have all of Sat-Sun-Mon off, but you also come off a rather early finish on Friday (could be as good as 10am, as bad as 2pm) and are coming onto a rather late start on Tuesday (anywhere between 2 and 6pm), so depending on the particular weekend you could easily have over 96 hours' rest time. Not as obvious because you are working the Friday and the Tuesday, but it is there.

That's of course once you get on a marked-in roster and that's a Pandora's box of it's own. Spares are a little less beautiful, but with the above-mentioned framework.

Make sure to pop back in here 7 let us know how you get on

A question i forgot to ask here, I'm slightly colour blind now it doesn't effect me driving at all but do you have to pass a test to drive a bus,

• Advertisement

Don't wear a shirt and tie. Just wear whatever you are comfortable with while driving. Nobody expects you to turn up in a suit. You'll get used to the cardboard shirts soon enough

Yeah I had to get eyes checked in the medical, it's a book and the doctor shows you numbers for your colour blindness. If it doesn't affect your driving I'd say they would just take note of it. You'd be grand.

Have you applied yet?

Not yet , i'm still on the fence

I'v two small kids & not sure if the shift work will suit me, but absolute sick of office work

• Advertisement

Yeah I've heard alot of people saying you won't have a social life or family life. I can't imagine it being that bad, you need to make the most with your free time. It has some great benefits though 👌 and hopefully pays of in the long run

Personally my family life got much better. 9-5 in reality is 0730-1900 with rush hour traffic both sides, so I was seeing my kids for an hour a day. Now I see them all morning or all afternoon/evening every single day.

Just wondering the age people are getting into the job that's all ,

Are you still there ? How does the over time aspect work , what is considered OT

Yes still here, overtime is purely voluntary. OT is anything you work over your duties hours.

All ages coming in at the moment, you'd never know now who was new and who was 30 years in the job.

Breaking late, finishing late, working your day off, all pay overtime. 1.5 days for mon-sat, 2.5 days for Sunday, 3 days for BHol.

Subject to about 11.5 hours per week. Limited by the working time act. So if you work your rest day then you can only do about 3 more hours. It's all averaged over 13 weeks I think, may be less though. The computer will day no if you are over anyway.

Post edited by rx8 on

What do bus drivers do when they need to pee? Genuinely curious. I was told by 2 drivers that you go in a bottle on the stairs on an empty bus as the cameras can't see you. That's the trick supposedly.

Or do you just try hold it until you find a cafe or something?

Seen one guy stop at Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, switch of the bus with passengers onboard and run to the public toilet.

Is this acceptable or do management want you to hold it in?

I exercise very early in the morning and drink alot of water throughout the day so always wondered what they do.

Some drivers do that. I don't.

The official line is, you call your controller at the terminus, and tell him that you need to go.You then go to the nearest company/CIE facility. We also have arrangements with some hotels/ centres to allow us to use them.

Yeah it doesn't sound very hygienic, I just always wondered what the procedure was. And seemed a bit wierd with the driver leaving the passengers on the bus and disappearing for 10 minutes 🤣

I don't fancy using a bottle 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭AX636

You could always buy a urinal bottle some drives have them

Years ago, I along with 3 other drivers were being route trained on the 44b which terminates in the middle of a country lane near Johnny Foxes with nothing around bar a sign that says 'Bus turning point'. I asked our trainer what happens if you need to use the jacks while you're up here and he says oh you can go behind the sign or just use a bottle and without a second to think I said 'But Derek, it's very hard to squeeze a shite into a bottle'. The 3 lads burst out laughing and poor Derek went red 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ginga Ninja 001

Does anyone know if the medical included a hearing test?

Yep, it's a beep test. They're not headphones though, just a small device the nurse holds up to your ear and you tell them every time you hear the beep go off

Word is that a lot of the new recruits will be coming to Broadstone.

They've offered a grand to anybody willing to go from Donnybrook at least

• Advertisement

It's grand. Close to town,M50,quays.etc... 15 minutes to walk into town. Good atmosphere in the place. Union reps, inspectors,managers all good to deal with. I won't be moving any time soon.

All spare staff who volunteer to transfer citywide are getting that too.

Tired coming to the end of the first week 😅 mentally tired. But loving every minute of it, everybody is very helpful and always offering advice. Especially the drivers. Really sound people in there who want you to succeed. First day was just classroom stuff, good information about the process and company and bank details sorted and stuff. Been driving everyday since. Its full on driving preparing for the test. It becomes easier everyday as the trainers are really really helpful and fill you with confidence.

Nobody got Broadstone, we all got a mix of depots. Got our depots within the first 20 minutes of the first day.

It's a great experience and as I said above everyone wants you to succeed and will always give you any advice they can offer.

Loving the process, feel like I'm there weeks already 🤣

SO, where did you get ?

Who is your instructor, answer by PM if you want. Can't believe nobody is coming to Broadstone. There might be an extra 1K in it for you if you volunteered at the end of training.

I think alot of people would jump on that 1k 😆 it's a great place to work. There's always someone to talk to

• Advertisement

The push for drivers has been extended until July so anyone thinking about it should at least give the process a go, they'll answer any questions you have. There's interviews going on everyday, it's shocking the amount of new people arriving for driving assessments. The training school is crazy busy

The driving assessments and interviews are ongoing all day long. I've seen the cars still out at nearly 5pm. this week even.

There is no harm in asking if you can get Broadstone if it suits you better. Even if you miss the 1k, it's going to be taxed anyway, but in the long run it would save on your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ginga Ninja 001

Did the driving assessment and interview during the week, hoping to hear back from them within two weeks, hopefully pass the medical, hearings not great in the left ear. Fingers crossed

Whether you have the learner permit or not most of the time you will hear back in a week or so.

You should be OK with the hearing test, it's not a major test just a quick beep test in each ear preformed by the nurse. Over in a minute or 2.

Also, anyone who just has a B licence and thinking of applying just go for it. Anyone I've talked to in training that didn't have the permit Dublin Bus paid for and booked their learner permit and CPC case study. I did mine myself but if I had've known that before I would've just applied with the B licence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement