Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

You mean a RWD, the SR+ was discontinued a few years ago?

Yes it's the final price, make sure you use a referral to get some free charging etc..

Have a Y Rwd and topped up in Birdhill and made it back to Meath via M50 with 42% on Monday. Was 7C, wet and windy. Model 3 will be more efficient.

From Kildare you'll get anywhere on the island with one stop.

Evdatabase.org have real world ranges, or try abetterrouteplanner app or website and you can look at some regular trips. (Make sure to select CCS as well as Tesla CCS)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,926 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This time of year you're probably looking at 350km if you drive her handy enough. Luckily for you on those routes are well serviced with superchargers at Birdhill for Limerick, Athenry for Galway, manorstone Junction 3 or Mahon for cork, 20 minute charge should be enough to see you home.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Also those routes are well supported by superchargers, pull in and 5seconds later you're charging. It is nice and stress free.

Car will also auto route you via a supercharger, preheat the battery for faster charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I've got a 212 SR+ (with the LFP battery, so similar to the current M3 RWD with WLTP range of 491km). I haven't really been watching the real mileage on the car, just enjoying driving it and charging when needed. I'd say at a guess that I'd probably get about 360-400km on a full charge, but I've never really been too focused on that.

Here are a few of the longer round trip journeys I've done as an example for range, I tended to start the trip with 100% from home (hope it helps):

• North Dublin to Limerick (500km) a few times and just stopped in to Birdhill Superchargers for 5-10 mins or so on the way back to add a few % charge to be sure on the way home.
    • Dublin to Galway (500km+) the first week I had the car and definitely stopped to many times to charge - still needed it, but I was overcompensating because I didn't know the car or the charging networks at the time
    • North Dublin to Wexford (380km) and again just stopped at Ionity Gorey for about 5 mins to put a few percent in. Mightn't have needed it, but just to be sure.
    • Dublin to Enniskillen (320km), no charge needed.
    • Dublin to Sperrin region, near Cookstown (300 km), no charge needed.
    • Dublin to Belfast (280km), no charge needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The price is €43,558 if you check the cash option and everything is included. That's for White RWD model and 18" Wheels.

Kildare to Limerick would be no problem. Car is very efficient with realistic cold weather of 300 and warm weather above 400 without sweating on range.

If ordering, be sure to use a referral code to get some free credits for supercharging or other goodies. If you know someone with a Tesla, ask for their code, or here's mine https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/gary461147

There is loads of info on here, but ask away if you have more questions.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭wassie

I went from Castlebellingham South SuC to the Athenry SuC on Monday - about 260km and used 90% in my SR+ (50 kWh NCA battery). Motorway the whole way at bang on 120kmh and was fully loaded with passengers & luggage. Once I left Dublin I hit a fairly string headwind that cost me ~10%.

Just monitored energy consumption using the trip energy meter which eliminates range anxiety.

MIC RWD/SR+ would do better than this with bigger battery I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

An insight into which M3LR spec (if any) will get a VIN at the moment, while staying in the range for SEAI grant? Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

The good folks on the internet estimate very large increases in Tesla Europe inventory again this month (see below) after the big delivery push at the end of March.

unless demand improves, or they shutter factories for periods, a price cut will be needed to shift the surplus. It’s very similar behaviour to what lead to the Jan 13 price cuts.

tesla have a demand problem - Before Texas and Berlin ramped up in Q4 last year, they had a supply problem - California and China couldn’t churn them out fast enough, and the 3 & Y were new models.

they’re now producing far more 3 & Y than they’re selling, and Tesla don’t have many levers bar price.

I can’t help thinking they’ll drop the price, and need to do it early in the financial quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

If they keep adjusting the price down then where does it end. Will it get to the stage where the market is saturated and stalls. Prices drop to a point where it’s unsustainable… I can’t see it

dropping a fee grand off the price every quarter just pisses the last group who took delivery off. Aint a good model for building brand loyalty

they have been constantly dropping inventory stock on the site over the past 3 days. Constantly adding stock on an almost hourly basis. But it’s selling albeit slowly

• Advertisement

There will always be cars getting sold, but Inventory is definitely backing up, so there isn’t enough demand - they either cut the price or stop building, and Musk says that delivery volume matters above margin.

with the way the Y is swallowing the 3 demand, they are quickly becoming a 1-1.5 model car manufacturer, and that won’t change in Ireland for a few years st least.

One reason Irish prices might not change is simply that just 190 M3’s were sold in Ireland so far this year, and almost all were because of the January price cuts, so the 3 volume here is not even in the noise level for our Irish market never mind for Tesla.

the M3’s highest ever Irish sales position since it was released was no.26 in the volume rankings. It’s now a perfectly reasonable price of €43.5k ….. yet no-one is buying it.

Few if any of the Model 3s sold this year were ordered after the price cuts. There was barely a Y sold that was ordered since the price cut either. Almost all of those orders are still waiting for their LR Tesla's.

Is it not normal for car dealers to have stock on the forecourt? Anytime I drive past one they always seem stuffed to the gills with cars.

If they actually can't shift them they could always take out an ad.

Based on personal experience plenty of people still think all Tesla's are 100k plus and are amazed that they're cheaper than their Audi, BMW, Hyundai, Kia, Volvo, Skoda, Renault or whatever

Not sure I understand your logic. These days forecourts aren’t usually stuffed with brand new unsold cars.

Large manufacturers make so many models they can adjust production supply to suit demand.

tesla only make 2 models, and the lead time is now very short. Most cars bought since the price drop are now delivered. I’m literally staring out the window at one :D

Has the Model 3 not been in the top 2 best selling saloons in Ireland for the last few years? Outselling all saloons by BMW, Audi, Merc, VW, Ford. Think was just the Octavia that sold more (in Ireland). Globally it was around 10th best selling car in the world, Y was 4th a d should do better as was barely launched in many markets last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Cheers

Should have said it's through work so I think the total is 46,200?

Price differing on leaseplan so I'll have to argue that.

Can't see that 43,558 price on Tesla site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

When you click the order button, you see a price and monthly payment at the bottom of he page. Click on the tab and this pops up with details and greyed out tabs, the left most option being cash. Select cash and see cash price. Other options also there.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

Somebody posted on model y forum I think it was that polestar have a 2 week window for new cars to be collected from buying. In order for that they must have a car park filled somewhere

not sure about other specific models, but I checked the beepbeep data a few weeks ago, and in Ireland (the only market that matters to us), the model 3 was the 36th best selling car in 2020, 35th in 2021, (around 600 registrations) and 26th in 2022.

In 2023, with 188 units registered and no apparent long delay, presumably it’ll drop back

they might be coming from the UK, but akin to the m3, polestar have 149 units registered in Ireland year to date - it’s literally in the noise level. They could bring one transporter per week over on the boat.

the m3 was billed as a revolutionary vehicle, but Irish buyers (who don’t have the same bik benefits, or lease deals, as other countries), have barely bought 1,500 of them over the past 3-4 years, with many of those being people who put on deposits down on its release in March 2016 (I did!). The demand just isn’t there for a small sedan.

On the flip side, the Y is a reasonably well priced medium suv, so it’s ideal for the Irish market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I say another price cut isn't out of the question, for sure that's their key advantage over their competitors however, if they reduce too much, it'll piss off existing owners and destroy residual values (can damage brand over time). Therefore they need to strike a new balance, deliver product refreshes (e.g Project highland for M3, Juniper for MY) and add additional incentives (e.g. referrals etc.) rather than just reduce price alone. Tesla is not a company that abides by traditional automotive rules so hard to predict their next moves but expect them to be unconventional and surprising at times. They should also improve their customer and after sales support program, this would vastly improve their brand loyalty and overall consumer satisfaction. I still believe they offer the best bang for buck in the EV sector right now but there are many prospective customers that don't look beyond the traditional brands, this is the market segment Tesla need to tap in more. Lastly, they are now also breaking into newer markets/countries (e.g. Turkey, Thailand as of recently) so this is an areas they are expanding into.

• Advertisement

I’d argue that Tesla has done very little over the years to convince us that they care less about their customers once you’ve paid your money :) they’ll need to improve as the cars age and the 2nd hand market evolves.

the recent price cuts and crash in residuals creates huge uncertainty.

The issue with price cuts is that it sets an expectation that there might be another.

in the case of project highland, or even the ID3, mid life refreshes usually kill the sales of the current version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Yes, I totally agree with you. There are lots of complaints from various Tesla buyers around after sales support, waiting for parts which could take months, appointment dates which keep moving out etc.. Also, some of the pricing to repair simple bumper damage can be ridiculous and some insurance companies are staying away from Tesla. All are fixable but just requires focus from Tesla beyond selling. In some parts of the world, they are now rolling out more service centres and increasing their ranger service but they need to ramp up quicker. I'm very happy with my Tesla but do worry about residual values compares with other manufacturers and also the cost of repairs and waiting time if something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭dennyk

Offline GPS units (including built-in car satnavs) usually have relatively little data to work with when constructing a route. Most simply rely on road speed limit data to calculate the fastest possible route between two points. This works well enough in some countries like the US where most stretches of road will have a specifically engineered speed limit for that particular stretch that will generally always be a safe and reasonable speed for an average driver to traverse that road in good conditions. In Ireland, though, rural roads outside built-up areas very rarely have engineered speed limits, aside from those few odd exceptions where the road conditions on some stretch of a more popular road are extraordinarily dangerous (or extraordinarily safe) enough to warrant its own unique limit. This means that as far as the GPS unit is concerned, when choosing between a 15km route on a nice smooth R road and a 12km route on a few barely-extant farm track L roads, the latter will appear to be theoretically faster, because both routes have the exact same speed limit (80km/h) and the latter route is shorter.

Now, the old online version of Google Maps many, many (many) moons ago used to exhibit a similar issue with route calculation here. However in recent years Google has been collecting massive amounts of location data from all us Android users out there and they've used that (in part) to significantly improve their Google Maps route-finding algorithms. Because of all that extra data, Google Maps can see that almost everyone who took, say, L6969, actually ended up going like 30-40km/h rather than the 80km/h speed limit, and therefore it "knows" that L6969 would be an objectively slower route than a longer adjacent route on an R road where its data shows most people maintaining a steady ~80km/h. As such, if you plot a route in the online Google Maps version, it will recommend taking that R road instead. I still see people complain about the issue with Google Maps from time to time, though, so I suspect that when Google Maps has no data service (e.g. when used in offline mode, or if it loses connectivity), it might not use the same algorithm because it no longer has access to Google's big data services, so it might fall back to the old speed limit method when constructing (or recalculating) routes. Either that or they're managing to find some glitch or some missing data on a particular route that leads even the advanced algorithm to incorrectly assume it's faster for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Just looking at the white RWD, vrt on the basic white car with no alloys is €2575. Add the alloys for €1700 and the VRT goes up to €3514, so the alloys effectively cost €2700 😳

is this due to Vrt tapering or just a Tesla or Revenue mess?!

I think it’s the additional VRT on top of the purchase price of the wheels. But, I think it’s a recent change as the OTR price never jumped that high when adding wheels.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If this is real it looks good...Model 3 refresh...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Nearly 60% Vrt on the price of a set of wheels 😂

Just reading my reply. I stated “decent” change, that should be “recent” change as I never noticed the Jump that high.

Certainly not decent 🤣

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Seems to be real, rumours that it's to go into production in Q3

Advertisement