Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

Unless the two bills are linked in some way, I would imagine any credit made on the Cork property would have to be spent on the Cork property. I maybe wrong. Worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

This might not be a popular view but the battery grant should not come back. And the solar grant should go too.

Grants don't work, they just drive the cost up by that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Expand the home one. You've a fully electric house so more solar will help most there. What others here have done is move the irsmaller older solar to another roof or shed or sold it on. Fill as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

Can somebody turn back on the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

😂😂😂 it’s Biden he’s blocked it out for us.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I've seen that written often, it's a fairly popular view.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a reasonable view. That subsidies you can only get on installs from a select small group of approved installers will nearly always lead to inflated prices, effectively putting the subsidy in the installer's pocket. Which is a terrible waste of tax payers' money.

i guess there's another view that oh there's a grant for something so ill look at that.. even if we know it leads to inflated prices..

That's not necessarily a different view. If there is a subsidy going and it suits me, I'll take it myself 😁

(mind I didn't get any subsidy for any of my PV and battery stuff)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Grant certainly influenced me. 2.4k for solar and 600 for Zappi.

Do grants bump prices? I expect they do sadly. But would that have been 3k less expensive in the absence of a grant? I don't believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The charger grant worked a lot better though. You could buy your own charger and get any RECI to install it and then claim the grant, so the cost could be very low.

If the solar grant would allow similar it would be better, it would benefit the end users pocket and not the installer.

Indeed. Would not giving the €600 grant to people who bought an EV to install a car charge point have stopped anyone buying an EV in the first place? Maybe just a handful who bought an older Leaf / Fluence as a second car. Less than 1% of buyers no doubt. And even those few could have granny charged. So another poor use of tax payers' money really, that didn't change any decision making

What is far smarter is something like increase the VRT on new diesel cars and use that to make the motor tax on EVs free. People are irrational and would be very tempted to buy an expensive EV, with the bragging rights of zero tax. And thus spending big money on VAT, which is good for the tax payers. Same thing happened after 2008 when people bought new diesels mostly for the chape tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Funny how these muppets in the Irish government only copy rules and laws from the UK when it makes them money but I don't see them copying the 0 road tax like the North/UK have on EVs.

Or make revenue charge 0% VRT/vat/customs on EV imports from the UK. - if they really wanted to get diesels/petrols off the road (I guess it is from the North but the numbers of EVs there are nothing)

Or just tax those f*****g idiots on electric scooters using the roads (which is quite illegal for them to use the roads anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Is there any advantage in getting a hybrid inverter besides battery future proofing ?

Ha, honesty is the best policy after all. I'm still flip flopping over grant system. Mainly because...

1. Waste of tax payer money through inflated prices

2. Who is subsidising who? Crew that did mine do 4 installs a week. If they each average 5 MWh per year (average grant €3k?) the state gains 1 GWh of renewable generation for €600,000 up front.

If those installs stay in service for 12 years, 12 GWh of renewable generation for a once off cost with no MV or HV infrastructure needed. Is that a waste or value for money? Genuinely don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hardware/install question

Where does the inverter AC output go to?

Is it direct to my fuse box or to my meter?

Greatly appreciate if somebody could explain a little more on how that works, planning ahead for entry points to either, or both.

goes to consumer board - at least thats where mine went.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Super thanks!

The cable is armored 6sq mm 5 core, so gonna be a tight squeeze

May be a silly question but has anyone with Solis inverter seen this before? House has moved from where it was for a month to out beside the grid :-()

Only difference noticed is that battery SoC was 50% so have been off grid overnight for first time............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Jackson22

Mine updated to that view this morning also.

I have noticed the “monthly generation” looks to be relatively accurate for April on that screen even though I have battery - wonder if this has been fixed or is it just because daily yield has been consistently greater than battery size

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That change is as a result of the latest Solis Cloud update. While technically more correct, it looks abysmal from a UI point of view. Any backup loads appear in the bottom right where the house loads are in the previous layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Hi All, have purchased a new house, it has a large south facing roof.

Will start the quote journey soon but wondering how many panels I could get on the roof? House is 220m2 for reference, I’m think of getting as many panels as possible and have a hybrid inverter so it’s battery ready. Or should I go for a standard inverter and add a storage inverter later when I’m ready for a battery? Assuming I have the roof space should I be aiming for 8kwp or even more? Will be clearing the trees to the south to let in more sun and see the view.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

congrats on the new house and starting down the solar road!.. trying to get a handle on a scale for your roof from the pic, should see a scale bar on google maps or Bing?... is it a ~12-15m ridge length? what's sticking out of the south side, are they chimneys? you have the E and W small roofs in that extension, could put 4 each there possibly..

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

which direction is S on your picture?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Time to actually measure your roof,

The roof windows might cause a bit of hassle though. But plenty here has solar panels avoiding them

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Sorry the bottom of the photo is south, which has two skylights, the north side has three dormers but not intending to put anything on that side.

The small east west split roof on the south is part of the kitchen. There’s one chimney just at the top of the ridge above this.

The ridge is 14m in length.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

if you take a ballpark PV panel dimension of 1m x 1.5m, and exclusion of 300mm from the ridge and 500mm from side (for SEAI grant), and maybe 100mm around your skylights (?), then maybe you'll get 8-10 on the main roof (depending on panel orientation, aesthetics), but an installer would eyeball it in a flash with a better resolution pic from ground level

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Is it ok to have one string of 390W panels and a second string consisting of higher wattage panels e.g. 450W inputting to a Solis Hybrid Inverter? Do you get maximum benefit from the 450W?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The 2 strings are completely separate, no issue having different panels on different strings

Advertisement