Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

To be fair we have had development days whereby hordes of lads went to trials, north/south type sessions etc but that tells only a portion of the story. If we genuinely wanted to get serious about development squads then @ U13 levels and above all club matches would be attended by a coordinator from a county board development group.

Yes its a big job but you will absolutely get a better flavour of what happens on the ground outside of Dunmore or central sessions. Speaking from seeing some of these trials we are not capturing or nurturing everyone but we depend on the word of the local club man the know.

Of course we get the bulk of the crop but we just dont push the boat out. It needs to be completely impartial and orchestrated without bias towards any club no matter where they are, whether they be down as far as Mooncoin or Slieverue or up as far as Tullaroan or Johnstown. Might sound a bit parochial but we depend on club trainers to give the nod to certain lads but in reality how many times have you heard " how did Johnny get to go up there and not Jimmy"

Weve all heard before about organizing divisional or geographical squads to work towards a central squad. How has this progressed or has it progressed at all in the mindsets of the county board?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

it helps if you quote the post you are replying to.....

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Redflag88

The fact that U20 KK management hasn’t made any calls to players they have atrociously dropped since the last match is ridiculous. Talk about going down with the ship. Management have let down players who have worked for so long and dedicated so much time and effort. Dropping players who have worked so hard to get their deserved positions on the team, for reasons so outlandish it’s comical. While every player on that team has worked hard, no doubt, other players that don’t have as much support from their own team or the name to match. The show they put forward was saddening, not for the lack of effort on the players behalf mind your, clearly phones need to be picked up and changes need to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Village 87.If this is a snipe at Dicksboro come out and name the players who shouldn’t be on it with suitable replacements named.Dicksboro have ruled the roost in underage hurling in KK for the last number of years,some people would tell you they are not contributing enough to the inter county scene. I presume you are a village man what about Cody’s midfield last year in the all Ireland. All ye ever did was take players from all the other teams and have a look at the 1976 village team and count the amount of real village men on it . Ye even called the club after a Boro man , he was born in Blackmill st.

Ciaran Muldowney quit the development squads because he was not getting anywhere. He had a plan which needed time but was not given much of a chance. As regards the u20 panel some poster was giving out yards about Eoghan Lyng being dropped when in actual fact he was injured and played a full game against Wexford last Saturday, I wonder was that poster down in Wexford cheering on Eoghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

It is just look at Cody and village players that have all Ireland medals one lad has 5 and never played in croke park his own sons have medals one of them could not even get on Fitz gibbon cup team

this years minor 5 village players on team 8 on panel

under 20 had one boro player you can’t pint finger at mark Dowling

conor Browne playing 5 years for kilkenny what a joke

Cody refusel to play boro players is a joke

There was a person over the squads for years

a very nice person but he never held a hurl in his hand fairly good with a snooker que

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It's a Pity Ciaran wasn't given a proper chance.He spoke an awful lot of sense and It highlights how wrong things are inside that he left that position. Theres no doubt the whole thing Is stale and full of yes men and sheep. As has being pointed out teams often looked to us how things were being ran and copied us and now we're years behind other counties. It's a sad state when Derek lyng had to beg for things last year at u20. Counties like Wexford and offally are more innovative than we are and fair play to them this isn't a criticism.

I think Danny Glennon getting dropped upset alot of people. He is a very good hurler to be fair. I was told he was injured and was under pressure to get back in time. I know you have denis walsh on the panel and is returning from a long lay off so maybe the same treatment could of being given to Danny. I don't know the chap at all but I have seen him a few times and he is good.

I don't think village87 was referring to the Boro lads on the panel.They have being the dominant team at minor the last few years.Plus Only one boro chap started last wknd.it was more to do with a Clara,Callan and Johnstown lads on the panel. I remember they played cork a few months ago in a challenge and a few from these clubs were featuring.Maybe they were good enough to be trialled i dont know. This kinda crap goes on the whole time and in most counties. We had lyng play his own clubmate against Tipp earlier in the year. Theres alot of young lads given more chances because who they are and where their from.Im suprised there's no chap from mooncoin on the u20 panel or given a run with the seniors pre season because they have done alot right the last few years.

I agree with you about Mooncoin have been at the top table for a while. And no rep. On the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

Certain hurler on the senior club team of the year.

but not one of 25 best u20’s in this county.

would make you wonder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Marooned, This is not a dig at Dicksboro, IMO they are doing a fantastic job underage, the club can do know more, winning the last 5 minor A's. It is up to Kilkenny to further develop the better players on these teams and this is simply not happening. I stated previously that Dicksboro were the exception when it came to management. Clara, Callan and Johnstown were well represented on the panel a few weeks back and id be interested to hear how many are still on it. Any decent hurling follower underage knows that some of the lads dropped are at a higher level than some players on the panel, no set up is going to be successful with this carry on, it undermines the whole ethos of successful underage hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

You're only showing your own prejudice there! The only important question is whether he was any good at his role.

Danny Glennon is certainly one who is good enough to start on the U20s. Yes, he had an injury which the county board told him to get sorted. He did and was left off the panel. He is hurling and playing football at the minute so that kind of makes a mockery of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Nun of thoose boro players on the panel in Cody’s time were ever good enough most of them were dropped after the Walsh cup or league was over bill sheehan got plenty of chances under Cody

If you never hurled I could you train someone to hurl

Bill sheehan done as good as Ryan Scanlon brown and his own son

in 24years one boro player and all the success

you can count mullinavat as well they gave village some beatings and not one of them could make it take John Walsh top scorer in kilkenny for years

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Adam O ‘ Connor from James Stevens is certainly good enough to start on the U20s. Senior hurler of the year in St Kieran’s, Man of the match in U19 A county final last year, currently on senior James Stevens panel, the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Talking to a parent whose son on Celtic team not sure of name but basically a b minor team

had to bring him up to Kieran’s for training

45 min drive young lad had to watch a team who were there also get drinks bars and playing gear they got nothing a team get food after training they got nothing

they won there match in cork

only team to do so the weekend

when they travel if they get food before match they don’t get anything after it

he told me in fairness Pat Hoban was doing his best for them but was up against a brick wall also Barry Joyce training them doing a great job lads love training under him

re squads I was only pointing out that the chap never hurled in his life never played for a team so how he qualified to be over training of young people

I know the chap from snooker I use to travel up to cyms to play him usually beating by him he was good

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

You need to leave it go about John Walsh at this stage, brilliant hurler for his club and all but I think he was in with the county on 3 separate occasions and just struggled with the training and higher intensity of things in there. He also gone abroad for this year too so Mullinavat will feel his loss for scores.

What I will also add though is his own Clubmate Tom Aylward got shafted off the county panel when he was the 2nd best full back in the county, he never got any chance after coming back from his Cruciate and was just cast aside even when he had a excellent club campaign that year. Thought Ger Malone was unlucky to be dropped off panel around same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Celtic Challange team trains in Kierans Wednesdays and Fridays for anyone who wants to see them. It's Kieran Joyce that's training along with Pat Hoban. The lads like Kieran as he says what he sees. Again there are lads in there that both trainers hadn't a clue what was there position. It might be the b team but 2 of the forwards are as good if not better than on the current A team both went into trials and both played in cornerback. Hard to impress the coaches at that crack. I have being around the under age for a while now it is disheartening for some of the youngsters as they see worse players being brought in. Just on young Danny Glennon at 15 he was devastating at minor not as much. I seen him last year and he had lost alot of the speed as he bulked up it made him a lot more managable for defenders. On the current minor team 10 of that team were being talked about before they played U14. Sonthere was no great interest to trawl the county for players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree 100% about Tom Aylward. Outstanding last year v OLG and looked as good as Huh Lawlor. He put in some outstanding displays against us in Senior, we can never beat Mullinavat and we have 6/7 lads in with seniors and were carried for years. Aylward did his cruciate county training.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Yes Danny Glennon has bulked up but hasn't lost the speed you are talking about. He was absolutely excellent at minor for Tullogher and one of the reasons they fell just short of beating Dicksboro on the day in the county final. As with any player when they take the step up to adult hurling you wont have it all your own was as you would have underage but he was still clinical for Tullogher last year. The point i was trying to make is that we dont have many better forwards at U20 in the county and he absolutely should be there. Once in there its a fight he as to make himself to prove himself worthy but he needs to be there first.

He never played hurling in school or for a club

He scored 1 -14 in a Walsh cup match and then left off panel Cody just did not pick him

They can’t be all unlucky Cody just would not play them brought them in like boro players minute they did not play well they were gone if any of them got same chance as Conor Browne who got so many chances and he such a poor hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

He scored 3-29 in Junior League/championship last year, 3-25 of which was from play I was told a few months back, granted some of that opposition would be weak he was up against but its good going for a player in his 1st adult year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Is anyone else finding it hard to follow this thread?

Advertisement