Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yes I didn't say it was good or bad. Mostly I'm for immigration.

in 2022 it wasn't just high, it was a record high .

What is curious is that this fact is almost never mentioned when it comes to the accommodation crisis in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Definitely. I'm sure all the economists would also also agree that importing basically limitless people to now live on the streets when there are existing problems with housing, healthcare, school places etc is a brilliant sign that you are doing great work. We owe it to the world to take everybody that wants to be here as the Irish emigrated during the famine. There are no examples available where this has caused any issues. It is all a complete positive for the country in question and everybody involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So we are at the point now where we are inviting people into the country to be homeless.

Wait until the tourist season and hotels kick out people for tourists.

The tourists will be walking over people on the streets to get around.

But saying we can't take more people in gets you into right wing nazi territory.

The madness will come to end at some point but I think the damage is already done, Ireland as we knew it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

😂

Now you're declaring it a record high in the absence of statistics proving it so. Have you not had enough of making stuff up and getting pulled on it?

First off, we're unlikely to hit the record highs of 2006 and 2007 in absolute terms and I'm willing to bet my left nut on it.

Secondly, if you strip out the Ukraine effect (which you're overstating, only 61k according to CSO estimates remain), our inward migration is well below the levels of 2006 & 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes it does under the Geneva convention. It has an opt out in the Amsterdam Treaty for EU Asylum law. This does not mean it has no legal obligation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

"Ireland as we knew it is gone"

If there was no immigration in Ireland whatsoever the Ireland as we knew it would likely still be gone. It might look different from what it looks today, but it would still be different from what came before. The cultural changes brought about by the rise of the internet, Smartphones, easier global travel, decline of Church influence etc have all had a much greater impact in changes to Irish society than immigration. These elements are much more at play for any discussion on how Old Ireland is gone.

Without immigration we would probably have struggled to transform the economy into what it needed to become in order for Ireland to move along with the world. That's not to say immigration doesn't have its downsides for a country, but this idea being peddled that the alternative to immigration is a Gaelic Paradise where Irish people come first is a romantic distortion of the more likely reality that Irish people would indeed come first — first on to the plane that is — to seek better prospects in more vibrant economies.

Why would you strip out the Ukranian refugees?

That's nonsense.

Bet both your nuts 2022 won't be a record high, go all in.

The unknown factor is how many folks are leaving as they can't find anywhere decent to live nor can they afford a good life in Dublin.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/i-really-want-to-stay-here-but-its-easier-to-go-dublin-teacher-on-why-shes-emigrating-for-a-better-quality-of-life-abroad-42429273.html

Shur you want to fire in EU nationals and UK nationals, even PPS figures (remember 300k? What's that got to do with anything?) that include tens of thousands of Irish births in ham fisted attempt to make some sort of Paddy Angryman point because you put your brain in a blender.

Leave-in your overstated Ukraine figures or take them out, up to you. I mention them because it's an extraordinary event where Ireland is showing its best side (not that you'd know anything about that) and pulling its weight in solidarity against a fascistic war.

When the final figures come in (including full census data) we still won't be hitting 2006/7 numbers in absolute terms.

You've been having trouble with words and your Fisher Price calculator, and that apparently is going to continue into the future because of your chronic lying.

You get truck lane size leeway here to constantly accuse others of lying.

I'm not playing your angry vitriol game.

Get your scissors ready.

😂

"Angry vitriol"

All that's happened here is you've been spoonfed that you are wrong and it's been been pointed out you are lying on the figures on several fronts.

Reported for the last line btw. If you want to get pious and precious about "vitriol", don't post utter scrot like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Ireland of zero immigration was a depressing kip of a place which people couldn't wait to leave. The anti-immigration guys seem to think Ireland can have a booming economy and high standard of living without any migrant workers to fuel the boom or fill the vacancies (either that or they actively want everyone else to be as miserable and inward looking as they are....perhaps the 'depressing kip' version of Ireland is the one they are secretly hankering after). Most EU citizens who come here for example are young, hard working and are tax payers.

No. EU law and international law are separate things.

There are legal obligations under the geneva convention. Its just absolute bullshit to claim there isnt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Gaelic Paradise 😂 Love it. You're right of course. Shure let's go back to 'Old Ireland' which was ruled from Rome or by corrupt politicians and had mass emigration.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The Farages of this thread were bellyaching about the some 20k Indians that were issued with PPS numbers in 2022.

I can garuntee you that the vast vast majority of those are instant high-tax bracket workers on landing in high-value-add industries like tech/pharma and critical health workers -- and will be paying the pensions of some of the dolts on this thread crowing about their presence.

The Refugee Convention, to which Ireland obviously is a signatory, is codified into Irish law via legislation. We are committed by law to adhere to it, including the principle of non-refoulment where there is a credible danger to the individual seeking refuge. That's literally what our International Protection system assesses.

The Farages here are peddling myths. I'm not sure are they aware they are peddling myths and are simply not interested in reality, or if they're lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

The numbskulls ruining this Country love to trot out the "We have legal and moral obligations to uphold" excuse to justify continuing this.

On and on the same old tired rubbish.

It seems you are trying to borrrrreeee everyday to death with your repetitive stuff.

Borrrrringgg repetitive comments and angry baseless accusations.

I will have to repost the CSO government figures , Irish Examiner articles and RTE reports so you can accuse them of lying.

All you reported were incomlete PPS number figures. PPS issuances do not equal long-term residency, or even residency at all as has been spoonfed to you. Irish nationals abroad may even apply for a PPS number for a non-Irish spouse or partner (and there are several reasons why one would do so). You simply don't know what you're talking about.

Your 80k and 20k figures were and are a lie, you made them up. Post them again, go ahead, you'll get called a liar again because it would be a factual comment.

A total of 79,783 Ukrainian people are now living in Ireland, according to the most up-to-date figures, and around 85 are still arriving here every day on average

Ukranian numbers in Ireland from official government sources.

Go do your usual angry stuff and shout liars at them.

Stop your uncivil behaviour to me and others here. Grow up.

Yes Irish can be immigrants and emigrants , are you confused about that?

Why?

Hey look above, you said there weren't 80,000 Ukranians here, are you saying the government is lying? The Irish Examiner reporter is lying?

Who is lying now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

You posted a few months ago there was no more than a dozen Ukrainian reg cars in Ireland. Is this figure still up to date yurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

So, in 15 months since January 2022, we have had:

79,783 Ukrainian refugees

13,319 non-Ukrainian asylum seekers in 2022

1,437 non-Ukrainian asylum seekers in 2023 as of 7th Feb. With 200 odd arriving each week, that figure is probably double now.

So around 96,000 asylum seekers since January 2022, and it’s not like Jan ‘22 was day zero for asylum seekers - they have always been coming here and will keep continuing to do so.

So not quite the 100,000 you said which the other poster claimed were lies, but not far off.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A warning to everyone . If you cannot be civil do not post. If you think someone is posting inaccurate information, or indeed trying to twist facts to suit their agenda, do not accuse them of lying. Point out their inaccuracies and move on. This thread is taking an inappropriate proportion of mod resource and we will deal with that by removing posting privileges if posters cannot follow some very straightforward mod instructions or indeed forum or site rules

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in thread

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And after looking at their "contributions" throughout the day as well as their prior warnings maninasia is now threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Leo dares to compare us to what’s arriving here now to the ones who headed out there on coffin ships

disgusting

National Party, Ireland First, Irish Freedom Party, Aontu and the Provisional Peoples Front for the Liberation of Ireland First will end up running against each other and cancelling each other out

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

We need a better asylum seeking process to separate the genuine ones from the phonies. So we can get the phonies out faster. Sadly since this is such a money making business for both the Govt and NGOs nothing will ever be done unless we end up in a full blown revolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Post up your link to the facts of ur last statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

EU freedom of movement rules state that you can only move to Ireland to find work 'or' if you already have enough money to support yourself for several months (a wealthy retiree for example or somebody well off in general) or if someone - partner, relation etc - is going to support you.

A person cannot come here from an EU state to sign on the dole or claim benefits and the state can actually legally deport an EU citizen after three months if they haven't found work.

Advertisement