Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stonemasons

Options
  • 13-04-2023 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey,

Is it easy to get a stonemason around the northwest of Ireland, Sligo region in particular?

Any idea how much they charge and how long do you have to wait?

Asking this as I am a stonemason and will be returning home after 10 years away and not up to speed with what's it like with getting stonemason.

Am thinking of just doing my own work as a sole trader.

Anyone got info on how long or how hard or easy it is to get a stonemason?

Curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

You will do well. It is next to impossible to get anyone, of any trade, and even labourers to do anything these days.

I am hearing of fellas offering jobs for decent money and being told things like they won't get out of bed for less than €500 day rate. That was for plumbers. I know builders looking to take on young lads for GO work and being told that they will take it but only if they they get paid so much and get a phone and a jeep. There are some jobs in around here in cork that have just had to stop up because no-one will take on work unless they are bankrolled.

Stonemason is a skilled job, and there are not many of them about. So if you could get in contact with any of the bigger contractors who are doing commercial or public works you will be able to name your price, phone and jeep and they will be trying to force you in the door to do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'd say now Geraldine the labourer's looking for a phone and a jeep before they start are a bit of a tall tale that was passed onto you.

As for the OP it really does depend on how good, how quick, how reliable and business savvy you are.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

In cork was getting qoutes from €120 - €180 plus vat per SQ meter.

Two of the 4 qoutes I got said it would be at least 6 months before they could do it.

I suggest you ask the guys in the quarry you are getting the stone for recommendations

Advertisement