Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew Tate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

The clip isn't about exercise. But you are definitely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

These days “Boomer” is more of a state of mind, or mentality, Tone.

It’s an appropriate descriptor of angry lads who aren’t happy with the way the world is changing and leaving them behind. They’ll often bang on about “progressives”, libs and WOKE(all caps).

Thankfully, you’ll rarely encounter one in the “real world”, just in certain pockets of the internet giving out about immigrants and trans people.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not really - it's a very specific category based on age and conditions when growing up, not on mindset.

Every definition you'll see will point to a set time frame plus the fact that it was the first generation to grow up with television in the house and how media (or lack thereof) influenced them.

Gen X - the one that follows - is mid 60s to early 80s - started having basic PCs in the house and was the first generation where both parents were possibly working.

The definition hasn't changed with time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,202 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah yeah there's a technical definition of the baby bomb generation. But there's also another colloquial meaning which broadens it from a specific age group who tend to be out of touch and entitled, to older people generally who are out of touch and entitled.

Baby Boom generation doesn't refer to the exact same age group as the term "OK Boomer".

The topic of discussion has strayed away from Andrew Tate. I take it that means his reputation and relevance has taken a hit from his time away.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but it's still going back to the gnerational conditions.

There are very few people born from gen X onward that could be describe as "out of touch". Entitled - sure - but that spans all generations.

If you want to go for the mindset 'boomer' it's generally conservative, insesitive (albeit mostly accidental) and wanting to go back to the 'good old days' - and there are very few people under the age of of about 50 that this would describe. They're not going to remember the good old days!

it's certainly not a set of characteristics I'd apply to Tate fans.

I didn't apply it to tate fans.

OK Boomer is a bit like the UK term "gammon" it borrows the specific generational language and broadens it to the general characteristics. Gammon usually refers to men and Karen usually refers to women. Karen doesn't mean exactly the same thing but it's describing a similar set of behaviours.

Agreed, Emmet. It’s more a state of mind. There’s a tranche of men (and it’s always men) who appear to have been very badly impacted by being the first generation who had access to the internet during their formative years.

Lads between 35 and 45 who appear to have issues with any opinions that don’t align with their own tedious ones.

Maybe one shouldn’t speculate but I’d imagine bad diet, low testosterone, spending 12-15 hours a day online, a perceived sense of victimhood, and an intellectual inability to deal with change and diversity might be contributing factors.

As I said, i see your point but I disagree with the characteristics applied to 'boomers' regardless of age.

If someone is going to be labeled a 'boomer' based on behaviour, there should at least BE a connection with the generation, or whats the point? People are just throwing in characteristics they don't like and saying it's 'boomer' for the hell of it at this point - see post below for example. If people are going to create a new mindset, at least create a new label.

I know you didn't mention Tate, but the poster who brought up the term in the first place did, and I was just trying to bring us back on topic.

Following on from my post above to El Duderino, this has got to be the worst definition of 'boomer' I've seen yet.

"It's always men" - you've never seen the aforementioned Karens in action if you think that.

"...between 35 and 45.." oddly specific age group, really don't hink you can narrow it down to a 10-yearrange.

"...have issues with any opinions that don't align to their own'.... boomers are ok with other opinions, it's when the get forced on them that they object. What you have here is closer to 'woke than 'boomer', and woke is not compatible with boomer (resistance to change an'd social conscience).

"...bad diet, low testestorone..." - at this point, you're just venting and throwing in any old insult you can think of. How could 'boomer' possibly be considred either of those things?

• Advertisement

They have made up a new word. 'Ok boomer' is the new word (or phrase) which does exactly what you suggested they do. It describes the behaviour rather than the specific age range of the person.

I didn't invent it and I don't make the rules. Once something is in common usage, it's legitimate language. Granted, ok boomer is mostly a US phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"Ok boomer" was introduced to the thread by you. it wasnt the phrase originally discussed.

There is a newer one I have seen online also "Ok groomer". It is a slur on people by calling them child groomers.

It is a retort to people who might direct "ok boomer" at someone.

My point being: use a phrase that connects to whatever it is they want to connect it to. Using "ok boomer" to connect someone's mindset to the "baby boomers" - and that IS how the phrase came to be - when there's rarely a connection and they just want to be dismissive or condescending, is stupid.

Do you not think those born in the 70’s and 80’s could develop a Boomer “mentality”? Anger at change, suspicious of foreigners, an active dislike, and superior attitude, to women, transphobia and climate change denial etc.

The type of guy who follows charlatans like Tate or Peterson would, nearly always, fit “the bill”. The type who’d listen to Joe Rogan over a medical doctor regarding covid.

The lost young men who are blindly defending, and paying for his “nonsense”, will grow up to be the Boomers of tomorrow. That is, unless they can be, somehow, taken off the path to hatred, fear and anger and shown the path of compassion, love and empathy.

It is frightful that these money-grubbing sociopaths are conning so many young men out of their money and their time. Especially, considering what sort of vulnerable state they must be in for them to fall for their BS in the first place.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 34,840 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The phrase 'okay boomer' also needs to be fired into the sun, along with Andrew Tate and Jordon Peterson.

Yeah, of course - as I said to El Duderino previously. But again - a lot of the characteristics that are being mentioned aren't boomer-ish, and it's at that point that the confusion starts.

I don't see the connection between it and Tate though, because I think most Baby Boomers (in the genrational sense) would see Tate as an arrogant brat, so lumping in boomers (ok or baby) with Tate fanboys is lazy and inaccurate.

Tate does not come across as xenophobic or resistant to change to me - he comes across as mysogonystic and egotistical - but those aren't boomer characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hmmmm...I think I'll stick to the original meaning and not some makey uppy nonsense someone online mangled it into, if it's all the same to you Emmet.

😁

Not a bother, T, that’s your prerogative. Just a heads up if you see someone referring to “Boomers” outside of the terms original definition.

• Advertisement

Would referring to the current crop as “New Boomers” or, even, “Neo-Boomers” be any better? “Post-Boomers”?

As for Tate, the man, himself, may not be a Neo-Boomer(?) but his “schtick” certainly appeals to them. The online kind, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They'll be consigned to the bin marked gobshite. The same place as the idiots who regularly use terms like "woke" and "alpha male" when they're trying to struggle through a badly articulated point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'll be sticking to the term's original meaning as well. The Tate brigade are reinventing its meaning to shut down criticism of their hero.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

You’re describing conservative people by the sounds of it

Why anything boomer..?

You seem to have an obsession with tagging the generational boomers into this for some reason...?

Sure. Sure Sure. But that's the second meaning of the term boomer. It refers to a specific age demographic AND a set of behaviours associated with that age demographic, but not limited to that age demographic.

I'd be surprised if you aren't aware of both meanings. And if you weren't, you are now.

OK. I've never heard of that. I'm not sure how it works but now I'm aware of it.

Is that something that might apply to Tate?

Well, judging by the posts in the last few pages, you'd be in the minority. It sounds more like you're a traditional millenial with a grudge against the older generation because - well, because they're the older genration - and this is how you express it.

I#m leaving it here though - I don't see the connection between the Tate fanclub and the mindset of a generation of people who just want to be left alone to live out the rest of their lives, you somehow do. We agree to disagree and get back on topic.

• Advertisement

The connection to the baby boomer generation is the set of behaviours such as being out of touch and entitled. We've been through this a few times now.

Advertisement