Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance _ Penalities For Diabetics?

• 13-04-2023 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭

Is there any loading of policies for Diabetics? I've not had health insurance for almost 15 years... so want to get back on the wagon. I have to be honest, I'm struggling to understand whats included in each policy & the excesses and charges look like they'd bankrupt me anyway...

I'm looking at Laya Signify as its the one that seems to suit me on a monthly and offers various stuff that seems good. It's looking like €78/month... any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Aren't they all "community rated"?

Why not call them yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hadn't heard of community rating... was out of the country for a long time, it certainly wasn't in place when I left. now I need to find my previous policy to see if it gives me any discounts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wench

Must have been a very long time, community rating has been in place for at least 30 years.

Hence the howls from VHI when the new competitors came in and hoovered up all the young healthy people, leaving it with the older customers who were reluctant to change.

Anyway, you won't be charged extra for the diabetes, but you may have to serve a waiting period for treatment relating to it.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_system/private_health_insurance.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks. Everything I'm reading at the moment says it was implemented in 2015. But aparently I've got credits build up in a previous policy, so I get to restart in my 20's!!! Great, thank you for the infoemation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wench

That's the Lifetime community rating, which is based on age of entry, but it built on top of the original community rating where everyone paid the same, regardless of health.

• Advertisement
Advertisement