Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I got the same email but it doesn't have the €150 cash back in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭suave.4u

any idea how one can avail this offer? I too need to switch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Have you compared the rates being charged and the monthly standing charge etc

it’s not just about discount %

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Yes thanks have checked rates, standing charges ect. SSE coming in cheaper.

The standard rates they have published now I guess will change throughout the year anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

and those prices are fixed for the year? It's a very good deal compared with what's currently available, but it would suggest they know prices are going to come down a lot during the year. Nonetheless, I'd take it, you can always switch again if general prices drop way below those figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

Has anyone ever had an issue with itemisation charts from Electric ireland not showing even after the 4 months of data analysis? Signed up to the smart plan to see if I can make a saving from switching to a day/night rate but after about 5 months now I still can not see the usage by appliance data. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Airtricity were quoting me 43.41c per kWh best price to stay with them after coming off 33% discount last year. Electric Ireland 40.89c per kWh. Flogas 37.99c per kWh fixed for 12 months, if price on the market falls can leave them for 50e break fee in the first 12 months so changed to them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭tandcapply

Nearly same boat, still with them and waiting for itemization.

Sent them an email a while back and received a response recently stating that I should seem itemized on 14/04.

This will be 3 and a half months since going with the dumbest smart tariff.

Assuming it will happen of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭tandcapply

Meant to say 4.5 nonths since signing up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

How is the carbon tax added to bills, was it part of the pso levy or is it factored into the unit price.

Isn't it due to increase on May 1st, If it's included in the pso levy will they they try add it onto the unit price this time or just stay they same or what's the craic.

probably a minor increase that wouldn't be noticeable anyway , just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

It appears on your gas bill as "carbon tax". It will increase my bill by 2-3 euro so quite an irrelevant change tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

My gas is due to expire tomorrow, would people recommend holding out a month or two based on it coming into the Summer, last bill was 700 euro with EI, that was with 14% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Staying without any discount? Sign a contract then break it for €50 when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Thanks, I was onto EI, was about to sign up again for 12 months, with 100 euro cashback but if I cancelled I would have to pay this back as well as 50 euro exit fee, might need to think about this a bit more. Flogas look like cheapest rate at the minute 11.77 a unit compared with EI 13.86

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Im Dual Fuel Gas Electricty with Energia seems Switcher and Bonkers you cant use them to move any recommendations thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Use the comparison companies to get a price and contact the energy provider yourself to switch

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Thanks about the size of it. Previously the likes of Bonkers would offer exclusive deals that weren't available directly from the providers this is no longer the case unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I'm shopping around from Energia dual fuel myself. I have taken my last years usage for gas and electric as a guide to the next 12 months, got discounted unit rates from all of them and added these to the gas and electric yearly standing charge and Flogas come out cheapest (€4585 per year), this is fixed so a bit of a risk but you can always change again for €100. The best of the rest for me was SSE at €4650, EI at €4860, Energia €4990, BG €5015. My Energia contract was up by a few months (I should've copped this but of course they didn't bother to tell me!) but they will back date a new contract by 3 months giving me approx €100 credit. Still makes them €200 dearer overall. Think i may go to SSE but didn't find them great when last with them (approx 5 years ago)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Look at the net rate combined with standing charges rather than the estimated full year cost.

Electric Ireland have the lowest net rate, but standing charge is €100 higher than.

Maybe also wait a little while as prices will change soon. My business rate has dropped to 21c + 11c distribution charges (includes stand charges, transmission, margin etc). Whilst I was on fixed up to Jan, if I was paying the market rate + distribution prices in Sept-Dec it would have ranged from 58c to 76c a unit, so at 32c this month and 34c last month the prices have dropped considerably and will feed into domestic pricing soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bored reader

Hi all

I'm with electric ireland for 10 months now. I recently got pv so I switched to their smart meter plan monthly but I haven't received a bill since January. in my online account I have the 200 euro credit still there.

Anybody have this nice problem?

These figures seem very high at first glance. An average dual fuel bill based on the Flogas fixed price tariff for Electric and Gas is circa €3.5K. Any chance your figures include a billing to correct an under estimate for a previous period? Or maybe you are charging an EV?

I've been totting up my Light & Heat bills for the last year and come up with a figure of €2,300 between Electric, oil (heating) and coal. I'm not sure how that compares with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

I just contacted them today re a similar issue. Was expecting a bill in March and it didn't show up. Keen to avoid bills mounting up, not that it makes much difference when you pay it. Would prefer a smaller bill more often rather than one big lump some though.

They said the bill didn't issue due to a "systems error". They've sent a request to billing for my bill to issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I used approx 14,000 gas units and 6500 electric. I do have an electric car and charger but most of my charging is done at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

On the Bord Gais dual fuel plan with a 39% discount since last September...

Current rates are:

Gas - 0.134

Electricity (smart) Day 46.74/Night 34.34/Peak 57.09

I tried a Bonkers search but it's not really turning anything up - would you think it's worth switching now things are coming down?

We've solar panels that heat the water so the gas should cost a lot less for the next 6 months. Have used 4752kWh in last 10 months. Electricity we used 339kWh from Jan 5-Mar 5.

Cheers!

Lets know who u decide mines up after 21st April, how come bonkers and switcher cant do certain plans

Usually these are plans that the provider are only offering directly but under CRU regulations the comparison websites are required to show them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Flogas are offering me the exact same off-book fixed rate deal as you got offered.

On one hand, everyone expects rates to go down, so now does not seem like a good time to fix.

On the other hand, these off-book Flogas rates are significantly below current market rates. A big drop in prices would need to occur + providers passing on any future drop in prices to existing customers to make it worthwhile to go elsewhere.

I think I will sign up next week.

Advertisement