Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Interesting interview with Sergei Guriev,former Kremlin economic advisor,who says sanctions are working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

True. It flew towards it, and landed on its radome, damaging it. I posted a video of it here about 240k pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

100%, but why let such an obvious truth get in the way of speculating on what's clearly a Russian propaganda piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Read that some young lad/ teenager is key suspect in what has been reported as the leak of intelligence docs from the US. That he is just one of over a million with access to such information. Given that USA were a bit doubtful of Ukrainian leaks, it all seems a bit odd. How could you grant access to sensitive information to so many people and not expect leakage? Is the whole story disinformation? I suppose we'll find out in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, but there's changes afoot. There are now street protests and calls in Georgia for the present pro-Russian govt to step down, and fresh elections to be called. In Chechnya, ever since his "election" Kadyrov, like his father before him, is not a popular leader, quite the opposite. Since he came to power, he has been using a more draconian form of Islam to enforce his rule, just like the Taliban and the Iranian Ayatollah, Plus, many fighting age Chechen's are in hiding " In the Woods" in Chechnya. Whenever Putin goes, you can expect big changes in that part of the world.

• Advertisement

Yes, that maybe where I saw it. But while the damage was not total destruction (unfortunately) It was still a remarkable event, Despite security, they were able to pilot a drone on what was basically a guided tour( literally LOL ) of the airbase, and damage an aircraft! That did not improve Russian morality or confidence one little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

There will be no new wave of the military draft in Russia. Now any Russian citizen can be mobilised with a click of a mouse.

Each mobik now has 7 days to present himself or herself to be processed. If they do not, most of their citizenship rights are stripped away and they become an outlaw.

Can't see that being too popular and might have even more looking for the exits/ going into hiding. They'll likely target the more rural parts and spread the call ups about, so not concentrated in any one district at a particular time. But anyone likely to be in the firing line with an ounce of sense will surely be looking at their options. Those who are brainwashed into dying for the greater cause of 'Russia who are fighting off NATO/US/EU for their very survival' will likely toe the line and turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Youd imagine that those who already believe that, or at least dont dispute it, have already been called up. Youd think as well that if someone really doesnt want to serve the Russians wouldnt want them to be conscripted, as they would cause problems.

My take on this is that its purpose is not to get more recruits, but to be able to discredit dissenters as draft dogers, and maybe to seize their assets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Racists gun nut,who's surrounding himself with kids how the fauq do the US government not vets there services, especially those with access to classified information,

"They might cause problems" the Russians ruling classes, do not give a damn about the "Conscript£ classes Johnny!!. And they have very quick solutions to troublemakers'. There's talks about the need for the mobilization of a further 400'000 to replace the dead and injured, and bolster the existing Nrs. But I guess Putin is getting increasingly fearful of a pubic backlash at this stage, if he calls for another official mobilization, especially on the 400'000 magnitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Sounds plausible. If this is the guy, they'll find him in no time.

If the details are true, then basically he was "sharing" high sensitive documents to impress a group of internet friends. His actions have big repercussions for Ukraine and US intelligence assets and everything beyond that.

True, but I guess they would have been focused on potential employees releasing to foreign entities. Rather than "showing off" to domestic friends.

There'll be a whole lot of reorganisation going on within the Pentagon after this, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭rogber

It's not whataboutery and it's not downplaying. It's merely saying it's not unique to Russians. Aggressors often commit atrocities. And of course they should be severely punished

• Registered Users Posts: 29,411 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not just the odd isolated incident.

So I think it comes across as downplaying it when you emphasise it that way with language like "aggressors often commit atrocities."

The scale of atrocities is typical of Russia, and it seems to form part of deliberate Russian strategy of brutalisation. This is a further example of this.

And is reflected in the use of eg Wagner groups of criminal mercenaries who put themselves outside the laws of war etc

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Absolutely,but it's getting more and more common now than in previous decades leaks,the internet doesn't help much either,but this wasn't some foreign malicious hack ,this was a weirdo on the internet showing off to a bunch of gamer kids .

I wonder many foreign security services will now be scanning gamer sites looking for information or people they can flip

Yes but as I noted above, how credible is this? The idea that information of the type leaked is readily available to so many people operating at different levels in the USA? That would appear to be grossly negligent and almost certain to lead to leaks. I'm not sure I believe that USA intelligence and military are that loose with info of this nature. So is it all disinformation of some sort? Russian sources also quoted as suspecting something off, but who knows what to believe with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

whoever leaked the pentagon information is going to made an example of. Many years in prison (probably in isolation). Definitely not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Constant Phoenix landed in Mildenhall today. Will be interesting to see if it hangs about and does some sorties along Belarus and Kaliningrad...

• Advertisement

It was on the news just a while ago so there might be something in it...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

You never know when someone will veer onto the nut curve...

We'll find out but a) the doc's seem legit (according to source) b) it seems they emerged on the internet c) it's possible it wasn't malicious (as in a spy network or leaker like Assange)

When I first heard about the leaks, my initial guess was that it was the relative e.g. son, of some official in the Pentagon who was "bringing their work home with them", snapping pics of it to impress internet friends.

This doesn't sound too far off from it. Also we have to keep in mind that a lot of people from administration to high level can have such information pass through their hands. Obviously if this story is true, then there will be a serious revamp of security. When human beings are involved, nothing is 100% secure.

There's still the possibility that this was a "deliberate leak" as part of disinformation, but it seems too damaging to be deliberate.

Looks like another 12 Mig29s heading to Ukraine via Poland and East Germany,

That Time when Germany contracted the Russians to service and maintain their now Nato mig 29s ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭rogber

The atrocities of the Russian army are an absolute disgrace and there have been many of them.

I'm not disputing that at all. I have utter contempt for that gang of criminals.

All I said is that these atrocities are hardly unique in history and they appall but don't greatly surprise me.

And then suddenly I'm jumped on from the usual suspects for trying to "downplay" their crimes. I don't follow the logic.

If true, It's a similar situation to Edward Snowden and that Bradley Manning fellow. Young lads with far-reaching access to secret files. Just sitting there downloading everything without setting off any alarm bells.

What often happens is that you have higher-ups complaining when there is too much security. Why can't I access this file, why can't I work from home, why can't I bring my phone in, etc. In any organisation there' a trade-off between security and convenience, and in some cases the higher-ups complain so much that it eventually leans heavily towards convenience.

In Snowden's case a big part of the problem was that they had young people running the IT systems. Older folks went elsewhere for better money once they had a few years experience. So you have all these 20-somethings with unfettered access to everything. Young people are more prone to take risks or not appreciate risk fully. A family man with wife and kids would be less likely to throw his life away by leaking stuff. Snowden threw his life away for nothing, didn't effect any change, now he's living in a shithole as a guest of Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

But the question must be asked as to why Timmy, are you basking in the glory of a possible russian gain in Bakhmut ?

If I didnt know better Id have thought you were happy to see the scum that is russias military successfully kill more Ukrainian soldier who are fighting for their own and their countries very existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement