Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That’s right. Most cars, including Niro, will only take 11 from those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭zg3409

Niro battery failing is known issue.

Don't pay dealer prices, get it for around 100 euro from local motor factors. If they are quiet they might fit it for you.

One thing to be aware of is there are "reasons" why the 12 volt can go low very quickly.

-If you leave boot or any door slightly open such as a coat caught in door for more than 5 or 10 minutes with "engine" off the car won't go to sleep and battery will run down very quickly.

-If you sit in car without "engine" on sat waiting outside a school or supermarket then car won't go asleep and run battery down.

- If you sit with radio on and "engine" not on, 12 volt will run down very quickly.

-If you unload shopping for a long time or hoover or wash car with car unlocked with "engine" off battery will run flat quickly.

This can happen even with brand new 12 volt.

The fix is to always keep a small jumper pack in the glove box. Don't keep it in the boot as boot needs power to unlock.

Something like this works great but cheaper ones will work too.

Note they need to be charged for 12+ hours before use and recharged at least once a year.

Learn how to pop bonnet and jump start 12 volt. Learn how to unlock car when zapper does not work. This will save you calling a tow truck and get you on the road in 5 minutes. It's a good investment and you can use it to jump start other cars and keep it for 10+ years. It's saved me one time when a coat stopped the boot from being fully shut.

If waiting in car, or cleaning car or unloading, leave car ready to drive started. Then the 12 volt is constantly topped up by main battery. When licking car be sure every door is closed including the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭imavi02

Hi All, I'm new here couple of questions if someone can answer that would be helpful.

a) If i were to place and order for Niro K3 today, what are the delivery lead times realistically?

b) What is real world range anyone is getting out of their new niro?

c) Lastly, can it be fare to compare it with Tesla Model 3 standard range?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Jofspring

If you are ordering a K3 you could ring around a few dealers. I'd say you would get a K3 pretty quick. The delays seem to be with the K4's.

Mother-in-law is getting about 420km at 100% in the new niro ev. She had the previous niro also and was getting 455km as standard and I even saw it display 480km+ on a few occasions.

As a comparison with the model 3 is it range you mean? Or spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭imavi02

Thanks for the info. It's the range , dimensions and features.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We were told any spare K3s were being offered to K4 customers and that given how delayed they had been, many are opting for the K3.

We got a cancelled order (for s K3) about 6 weeks ago and are supposed to collect it the week after next.

White wouldn't be out first choice of colours but beggars can't be choosers. Didn't seem to be any stock around before the grants reduction and manufacturer price increase kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Hi ,car is due it's 3rd service soon ,anyone got the latest software in case I need it upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

what quote did you get for the 3rd service and assuming it's 3 years as there is a requirement to replace the non conductive coolant and last I heard some dealers are quoting +350 euro on top of the std service for this "special coolant"

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭vinniem

Had my coolant replaced FOC last service due to recall (sediment in coolant) was not complaining 😁

I bought a 3 service package when I bought the car ,its only just over 2 years old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Can I ask how many services the car’s had / stamps in the warranty book? I have the plan too and have left it in twice now for what i thought was a service… but apparently the first year wasn’t as service.... I’m just wondering what’ll happen at the coolant change service which I thought was this year @ 36 months … are they going to push it to next year and then decide my plan is up 🤔 ( I have low milage as I wfh)

I'm not sure to be honest ,my milage is slightly high ,45k in 28 months ,I'm going to mention the coolant when I drop the car in but it won't be for a couple of weeks ,this is my 45k service ,other 2 were 15 and 30 k

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Odd one re: service - ms jou has her Niro 15 months now, approaching 30k km. Whe she asked dealer last month when will service be done she heard "we'll let you know". Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

My wife is 3 weeks into ownership of 231 K4 model in cityscape green. Having changed from a 40kwh leaf SVE, after 4 years, she loves everything about the Kia except for the lack of a 360 camera. It’s becoming a bit of a dealbreaker and she is seriously considering selling the car already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

In the meantime, slightly modified spare wheel well to fit full size wheel.

More details (with photos) here:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Could this be retrofitted ? Might be cheaper than changing the car or the wife.

Seems a bit harsh, we are due to collect our K3 next week...the lack of 360 degree camera did come up in our decision making process but wasn't enough to put us off (never had it before which probably helped).

Would be interested to hear what a retrofitted one would cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

The aggressive front design (which I love) does make it very difficult to see side front angles. People give out about the leaf and yes it’s battery plus chademo charging is it’s big minus but in terms of tech, propilot, E-pedal, 360 camera, Bose speakers, spare tyre etc it has an awful lot going for it. Hoping she will just get used to it but there is a definite lack of visibility, if it had a 360 camera it would be perfect. The battery efficiency is on a whole other level to the leaf. We did Armagh and back without charging. 120 on M1 and still had 10% left. That was impossible with the leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Romegie23

Hi.. Can anyone tell me what the Trailer Package is per the K4 spec? Thx

Just got the call - collecting early next week.

Sadly (as we are only buying one car) will cancel the pre ordered Megane.

Really liked it but our primary reason to change was space so we had to go with the Niro EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Jofspring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I was in a KIA dealership yesterday chatting with the dealer principal. They are not taking orders for any Niro EV models at the moment as they are unable to:

1. Get a lead time for delivery

2. Get any info on future price increases from KIA

3. SEAI approvals are taking up to 3 months and the grant is reducing soon.

Sounds like a right mess at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I must say I am very dissaponted with the way Kia designed the rear of the new Niro after getting it right with the new Sportage and putting the indicators in the right place they go and put them down low on the new Niro.

I would like to hear what other people think of this. Do you like your rear indicators in the main light cluster with the other lights or down low and separate?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

TBH, it's not something I really think or care about. What's the issue for you? Is it a safety thing, or just aesthetics?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I suppose its just aesthetics.

Thinking about it with how bright some break lights are on cars these days having the indicators in a separate spot is probably good as it makes it easier to see them from behind by another driver so it probably is a good safety thing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Minifox

Hi guys

Just checked my Electric Ireland usage insights and noticed that the car is charging from 01:00 to 03:00 but I want it to charge from 02:00 to 04:00 (the cheap tariff rate). The problem started when the clocks changed. I changed the time in the car so that it shows the right time (through ticking that 'daylight saving time' thingy) in Settings but it's not charging when I tell it to.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Is this an EV car thing or just this EV car thing?

I'm exploring options ahead of buying new within the next year and was considering EV and in particular this EV but my missus is forever forgetting to lock our car, it can often be sat in our drive unlocked for 14 or more hours, so if this means it won't "sleep" she'll have a flat battery every morning! If the car hasn't been nicked that is. Nobody would rob our current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Would love to know how many K4s in the country. I have only seen 2 others!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The app will alert you within a few mins if you haven’t locked the car.

Advertisement