Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dont worry Pep will find a way to overthink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Harsh sending off imo, two soft yellow cards really. Kim will be another big loss for the 2nd leg after that yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, pretty harsh sending off alright. That's the spine of the team really damaged now - especially if Osimhen is still struggling for fitness at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bloody hell, Napoli so close to equalising twice in a minute.

That's both Inter and Milan have had refereeing decisions go their way, maybe it's just meant to be a derby in the semis.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Milan scored with their only shot on target. Got a soft decision their way too. I fully expect the Golden Miller to regale us then of how unlucky Napoli have been...no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter-Final 1st Leg Results

Manchester City FC (ENG) 3 V 0 FC Bayern München (GER)

SL Benfica (POR) 0 V 2 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

AC Milan (ITA) 1 V 0 SSC Napoli (ITA)

Real Madrid CF (ESP) 2 V 0 Chelsea FC (ENG)

Quarter-Final 2nd Legs

Tuesday April 18th

Chelsea FC (ENG) V Real Madrid CF (ESP) (Agg 0-2) - Live on BT Sport 1 / RTE 2

SSC Napoli (ITA) V AC Milan (ITA) (Agg 0-1) - Live on BT Sport 2

Wednesday April 19th

FC Bayern München (GER) V Manchester City FC (ENG) (Agg 0-3) - Live on BT Sport 1 / Virgin Media Two

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) V SL Benfica (POR) (Agg 2-0) - Live on BT Sport 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair, as a neutral, would be some semi final to see the atmosphere at a Milan Derby.

Even though would love to see Napoli make the final.

Are the Golden Millers predictions coming to pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

• Advertisement

Milan showing they are an average but well drilled team, with fight in them. Napoli showing they aren't that great when the pressure is applied. The screw being turned on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Biggest difference between Chelsea and Real Madrid was what they did in 1v1, last man back scenarios. Chilwell deservedly saw red, but Felix missed a golden opportunity when he didn't cross Militao and go straight down the middle. Surely he would have been hauled down and Madrid would have had to play 90 minutes with 10 men. I couldn't believe he just went out to the right with the ball.

That's not what happened at all though. You can't go off on Bayern being unlucky and then say Napoli aren't great when pressure applied despite every metric showing they absolutely were the better team other than they couldn't score

They met in 2003. Dull doesnt describe it well enough

I thought Bayern deserved a goal or two.

My opinion of Napoli is based on watching them wilt under pressure, and fail to get the job done, time and again.

At some point it becomes more than being unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

You call it parking the bus, but really it's just intelligent tactics against a manager and team who like to dominate the ball and push as many players as possible into the opposition half of the pitch. Very often leaving them exposed at the back. Couple this with the fact that Pep is actually quite poor at signing world class defenders, and focuses almost entirely on signing players who have technical qualities on the ball... it's not really hard to understand why many of Europe's finest teams choose to sit deep and go straight for their back line on the counter attack.

I think even Madrid will probably do this if/when they meet in the semis... not because they don't have the quality to play a more expansive game, but just because it makes practical sense to do it.

Haaland definitely makes them more lethal. He's the one player I think Madrid would love to steal off them if they got the chance. There is no doubt that they consider him to be City's most dangerous player, and it's not hard to understand why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I only use "park the bus" because it's a well known term.

I have huge respect for the tactic. As I also do for shthousery.

The footwork of Brahim Diaz is becoming the difference in many of the games he's playing for Milan. Hopefully they can hold onto him, will only keep getting better. The lad has that bit of magic in his boots

The more you watch the Milan goal, and see the final pass from Diaz, and watch it slowly, it's absolute genius. Few players could of executed that goal, the vision, speed, and movement of foot. That is one of the deftest, yet deadly, passes you'll ever see.

And he did something similar to Napoli in the 4-0, twice. On the break in Naples, Diaz will conjure up something from nothing. He seems to posses that rare ability, to change everything on a dime, out of the blue. That final pass to set up the goal, is a moment of genius few other players could of executed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say its very unlikely he will ever be recalled by Madrid. He's still their player, isn't he?

He's to Madrid what Isco was, and Dani Ceballos is now.

Good player, but simply not good enough to be a full time player and starter for them.

• Advertisement

He's no consistency, the ultimate luxury player if you will. To survive at this level, and get away with that inconsistency, you have to produce those moments when it matters.

As of now, he's doing that. Nothing for 30 minutes, then the turn in tempo changes, lethal on the break. The last game, the 4-0 v Napoli, and a run of league games, he's had a run of unplayable moments, few players capable off, from nothing.

It gives you confidence from a Milan point of view, Napoli press too high, this man will have that one moment of magic on the break, rip them apart. When he bursts, unplayable.

I think Napoli will play right into that. Even if you don't give him a chance, his confidence is so high, he'll create it from nothing. Unreal talent.

I remember Messi at that age, but even he didn't have that burst with such execution on top of it, at such important moments. Potentially dealing with a genius here

That accolade belongs to Kaka for his pass to crespo in 2005

Kaka is the greatest playermaker of his generation. The road runner. When in the mood, destroyed teams.

When United entered the San Siro in 07, he broke them, mentally and physically. The greatest since Cruyff at doing what they did. On his day unplayable, only seen Messi and Totti come close to that level in individual matches

Diaz clearly miles from that, but has the potential. That pivot Milan were missing since Kaka/Rui Costa.

For a period, Kaka hit a level never to be seen again, absolutely incredible and devastating at his peak. Pace, technical skill, vision, goals, had literally everything. At peak form, I'd argue he was the greatest ever.

He was THAT good!

And wasn't it Kaka who gave the pass to Gilardinho, which ripped United apart. The most satisfying pass in history, after his ball to Inzaghi in 07. Pure genius

But ye, I remember that pass from Kaka, something he did for fun, like Totti.

Diaz yet, doesn't carry their reputation or history, but when the league was on the line last year, upped it a gear when it mattered. Milan in Europa league v United for example were useless. When Diaz was needed this year, he's changed gear.

Milan average and blunt without him, make no mistake. But as he's there, has the capacity to rip any defense to shreds. Napoli talk about Osimhen missing, this lad operates at a completely different level.

This lad stays fit for the return leg, Napoli pressing plays into Milans hands. Give this guy the ball on the break, and wonders suddenly happen. His turn of pace and ability to go up the gears, within seconds, is incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

While I'm not doubting that Diaz played great in the Serie A run in, he could well have. But he didn't play much.

But for a player who plays as an attacking midfielder / 10, and not have a single goal or assist after Decemeber, in any competition, strikes me as mad. In fact, he didn't score at all after September.

He was starting consistently after the Christmas break (6 out 7 games) but Milan dropped points in games you would expect any Milan team to win. Milan then dropped Diaz against Napoli and won the game in Naples, where he didn't play a single minute. Milan went top. He started 5 games out of 11 from March onwards in the title run in. The only game he actually played 90 mins in was one of the seldom games they dropped points in, in the run in. That does not sound like a key player to me.

That does not strike me as a player stepping up when it mattered most.

I probably wrongly attributed Milans revival to Diaz. But like on the Leeds thread, he gave that platform to perform for others for a long time, and as he grows in experience, is standing out.

As I said, in terms of moments of magic from literally nothing, he's conjuring up magic .

Napoli will say in their 4-0, the league was won, but clearly they didn't account for his brilliance, just like in the 1-0 defeat.

He's young and not the finished article, hit and miss, but hopefully he can drum up that magic in the return leg. Don't think I've seen such quick feet and vision since Messi in his youth.

Difference is, then Messi was on the wing, this guy is the centre and fulcrum of Milan. As he improves, so does the weight of expectation.

In saying that, he strikes me as a player who doesn't care, and will just rip you apart on the break. We hear Osimhen is fit, Napoli push harder, means this guy is even more lethal on the break

Napoli haven't accounted for him clearly, and still haven't. Most people don't know him. But he's growing in confidence every game, and posses feet at a speed I've never seen before, and vision to top it off.

Osimhen returning a blessing in disguise for Milan, renewed false confidence for Napoli and they'll push harder, and Diaz will take them to town on the break. He's brimming right now.

Can't wait for Tuesday, a Napoli siege, countered by the speed and vision of Diaz on the break. Hopefully the likes of Leao pull their weight and it's enough, playing off Diaz.

Pioli benched the whole first team in the league at the weekend, meaning he's going all in for this. Meaning it falls on Diaz as the playmaker, to make it happen. Huge pressure and responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'd rather RTE were showing the Napoli v AC Milan game instead. It would be far more interesting, than watching 2 highly unlikeable clubs, where the tie is as good as dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Lampard has done some job to make that Chelsea team look worse since he took over.

• Advertisement

That's an awful miss by Kante. Goalscoring has never been his best attribute or anything like it.

How was that not a penalty for Napoli?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Swung a foot at it like you would see at an u12s game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The “best team in Europe this season” defending like a Conference South team there. Laughably bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Great run for the goal. Terrible defending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

vinny junior did the same a few mins ago. an easy goal if he used his right foot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭trashcan

Great save from Cortois there.

Chelsea should have scored that in injury time at the end of the first half. Cucurella with the effort but Courtois saved it. It should have been buried though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Chelsea are so poor up front, just can't score.

Still scratching my head at that Napoli peno shout. He took the player out of it. Any contact on the ball doesn't matter when you take a player like that.

Napoli have their work cut out for them now in the second half.

• Advertisement

And the commentators saying it was a great decision by the ref, between that and the soft cards in the first leg, Napoli can definitely have a few complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Absolutely incredible run from Rafadona. Thank God Giroud stuck it after the penalty and big chance misses.

Penalty should have been retaken too as it was cleared by encroaching players. Napoli should have had a penalty too so all balanced out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Valverde really should be Number Six

Reese James is lucky in my opinion that wasn't a red card. Very bad challenge.

That's a shocker from the ref. That was a second yellow card all night long. And Militao should be off. The ref knew what the consequences were.

Real Madrid lead, it's not good from a Chelsea perspective. A couple of minutes after Real should have been down to 10 as well. Massive swings and roundabouts.

tie over. RM winning 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Dats de differ at Stamford Bridge, RM take their chance, Chelsea couldn't take theirs.

Ray talking 💩 as always.

surprised lampard hasn't made any changes so far. like, they started the game 2 down and played 2 attackers (or even 1)

• Advertisement
Advertisement