Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I called it. Well done to United, were always going to win it. Although it wouldn't have made much difference to the result, Bruno should have saw red for that challenge, disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm surprised he got away with it. Looked a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You have Sundays highlights to enjoy. Sorry about tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Of course yeah

• Advertisement

Already over an historic 7-0 mauling to Liverpool. Zero standards these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Round of 16 1st Leg Results

1. FC Union Berlin (GER) 3 V 3 R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL)

AS Roma (ITA) 2 V 0 Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP)

Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 2 V 0 Ferencvárosi TC (HUN)

Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) 2 V 2 Arsenal FC (ENG)

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 1 V 1 Feyenoord (NED)

Juventus (ITA) 1 V 0 SC Freiburg (GER)

Manchester United (ENG) 4 V 1 Real Betis Balompié (ESP)

Sevilla FC (ESP) 2 V 0 Fenerbahçe SK (TUR)

Round of 16 2nd Legs

Thursday 16th March

17:45 Kick-offs

Fenerbahçe SK (TUR) V Sevilla FC (ESP) (Agg 0-2) - Live on BT Sport 8

Feyenoord (NED) V FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) (Agg 1-1) - Live on BT Sport 10

Real Betis Balompié (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG) (Agg 1-4) - Live on BT Sport 1

SC Freiburg (GER) V Juventus (ITA) (Agg 0-1) - Live on BT Sport 7

20:00 Kick-offs

Arsenal FC (ENG) V Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) (Agg 2-2) - Live on BT Sport 2

Ferencvárosi TC (HUN) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 0-2) - Live on BT Sport 10

R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL) V 1. FC Union Berlin (GER) (Agg 3-3) - Live on BT Sport 8

Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) V AS Roma (ITA) (Agg 0-2) - Live on BT Sport 1/6

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Weghorst participated in one of United's worst ever games and did this afterwards:

Find shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That was before the game...

You can see it's Virg's hand (his international teammate) on the board at the same time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he really didn't think too much about it, and actually was just winding up Virg a bit while they were talking going out.

I find the Weghorst fury a bit mad... he's in on a short term loan, like. It's as low stakes as any move can ever be. He's there as an extra body for a couple months, and then he'll be off. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

commit. looked a red or should have been a red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Weghorst now has the same number of non penalty goals as Ronaldo this season for Man Utd. In less minutes played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Obviously touching the sign has worked wonders for him tonight....

He replaced Ronnie, well not really but in some people's heads,.martial was getting random ire at times too, also ten hagg for getting rid of him but he has stopped that shtick for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

That's a great stat and one I was unaware of. Wonder does Piers know? 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Well imagine Pool signed a player who had never played for a club anywhere near the size or level pool are playing at. This players team gets relegated to the championship and they are playing in the Turkish league when Liverpool come knocking.

The move itself probably represents the players greatest moment of his career and at 31 he probably never thought he would get such an opportunity.

Within the first few weeks of joining, he becomes a regular in the team, wins the league cup , gets to play against Barcelona in Europe (a full house at nou camp didn’t look like a meaningless Europa tie).

He looks like a player who is popular with players and is actually popular with many Liverpool fans cause of what he’s giving to the squad and his workrate. He looks like a player completely absorbed in Pool and just trying to enjoy every moment and it shows. And imagine this is after 10 years of pool squads full of apathetic over paid journeymen which makes it easier for fans to get behind him even more.

Think of it in a different way like a player who played for one club, joins their rivals and still enjoys beating his former team. Its just somebody who totally commits and adopts their new club.

Hes just enjoying the ride because it maybe the best 3 months of his football career. He’s completely absorbing himself at United. If anything I’d say there’s been a massive lack of this sort of attitude from most United signings for nearly a decade. When you look at it from his point of view, why wouldn’t he be savouring every single minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

My hope is they don't get banned anytime soon because they are in for a long few seasons ahead :D

We'll know just how well things are going by how bitter each post gets over time

This is the lad who excused all sorts of shithousery by Messi and pals in the world cup as he wanted him to win it so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Apparently there were a lot of clubs in England, Spain & Italy that wanted to sign Weghorst a few summers ago, but ultimately said no as he would not get the COVID vaccine. There was some suggestions on fan forums that Liverpool were one of these clubs. He ended up at Burnley then, as they didn't value vaccination status as high as the other clubs.

Whatever about the players quality - and let's call a spade a spade, he is not the quality to be the main central attacker for a club that wants to challenge at the top of the table, but does he put apply effort, work hard, press etc? Yes. I haven't watched every game he has played for Man Utd but every game I have watched him play for Burnley & Man Utd, he puts a shift in. Works hard. Applies himself and doesn't go missing so he deserves some credit there. It's what the fans want, at a minimum. We are in an era where commitment and application are not a given so he stands out there. Surely praise should be given here. Plenty other players have more talent than him but can half arse through games and might score and the lack of effort is instantly forgotten about. I can remember plenty of players at my club down through the years who maybe did not have the best quality, but gave 100% every game and fans loved them because of that.

Either way, he is needed at the club currently and won't be there next year. He's enjoying the ride. That apology he was forced to do though, ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I'm sorry but all I can see here is that Man Utd have resolved the Dalot vs AWB debate by signing a skanger from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What annoyed me about the Wot sign thing is his comment after that he was trying to stop VVD from doing it to wind him up.... which imo is clearly BS.

Maybe he was a liverpool fan as a kid, maybe its something he has seen countless players do and just did it without thinking - I couldn't care less. He'd always put in 100% for United (even if I think he is shocking in front of goal) so I really don't see the need to get annoyed with him about the sign. Just be up front about it. Say you didn't realise a bunch of United fans would get their nickers in a twist over it.

Of all the things that happened Sunday, that was the absolute least of it. Though maybe if we hadn't sh** the bed and drawn the game it wouldn't have been mentioned either.

To get back on topic of the match.... Pellestri should be getting more time for United. He has impressed, imo, every time he has got the chance - which is difficult to do when given so little time and so inconsistently. To come into the team cold, and still produce moments every time, is impressive imo. He must be shockingly inconsistent in training - its the only explanation for the lack of game time he has gotten.

DDG showed why his contract offer should just be pulled and he should be left to leave on a free in the summer.

I thought United started the game well, got very nervous as soon as Betis started competing and were fairly poor for the second half of the first half. Much better in the second half, and deserved winners in the end, and probably should have been by more. the away game should be one we can manage in a sensible way - though we do have form for getting effing spanked away from home....17 goals conceded in 3 away games... sigh.

Four games down.

The referee handed Juventus the win by booking Gulde for handball in the box. It was a second yellow and he was off. It wasn't as if he deliberately handled the ball either. That left them a man down for the entire second half. Nothing spectacular from Juventus at all, and no one will fear them in tomorrow's draw.

Man Utd didn't have to do anything, well except avoid yellow cards, and they did that, fairly comfortably. They allowed Betis create a few chances, but the biggest challenge for De Gea was keeping out Malacia's back pass in the second half. Elanga was poor. Had a great chance to push a ball into Weghorst's path and underhit it. Biggest plus for them was Pellistri, and he got 90 minutes into his legs as well. Probably not a common opinion but Fred seemed very confident in the middle of the park and made one great interception in the first half.

I didn't see Feyenoord tonk Shakhtar, but from 10 shots on target they scored 7! Sevilla are through despite losing, and a lot like Real Madrid in the CL, they like this tournament. Hovering 2 points above relegation they must be eyeing this as a road into Europe next season.

Four more games to come and expecting goals to rain down in London and Brussels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What a phenomenal goal from Sporting. Ramsdale lobbed from just beyond the halfway line. Goal of the season contender.

Post edited by sligeach on

Sporting would be ahead but for Ramsdale. He didn't know much about it, but he got smacked in the face. Down injured now. He's alright, after a bit of a short break. Good goalkeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It was a shite bit of refereeing for the red card. Same ref allowed a deliberate back pass go by too. Even awarded juve a free kick.

Obviously I meant Sporting. As I posted in the next comment.

We're going to penalties between Arsenal and Sporting. Very entertaining match.

The way things have gone. It looks like it's favouring Sporting. I say this before any kicks take place.

• Advertisement

Sporting have won on penalties. Another major team removed for United to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Ramsdale very poor for those penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Great win for Sporting, totally against the odds, and what a goal. Probably brought back memories of he Nayim goal for Arsenal fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Welcome back.

United still living in your head rent free.

Looking forward to the draw later.

Before the draws later

Co-efficient rating 3 competitions

01 Bayern (GER)

02 Man City (ENG)

04 Chelsea (ENG)

05 Real Madrid (ESP)

12 Inter (ITA)

20 Benfica (POR)

21 Napoli (ITA)

36 Milan (ITA)

07 Man United

09 Juventus

13 AS Roma

19 Sevilla

25 Bayer Leverkusen

33 Sporting CP

34 Feyenoord

105 Union SG

35 Basel

42 AZ Alkmaar

48 West Ham

51 Gent

102 Fiorentina

110 Lech Poznan

113 Anderlecht

116 Nice

MAN UNITED             vs       SEVILLA

JUVENTUS                  vs       SPORTING CP

BAYER LEVERKUSEN vs       UNION SG

FEYERNOORD           vs       AS ROMA

• Advertisement

(JUVENTUS                  vs       SPORTING CP) vs (MAN UNITED             vs       SEVILLA)

(FEYENOORD           vs       AS ROMA) vs (BAYER LEVERKUSEN vs       UNION SG)

Jose must be happy. Draw very top heavy in other ties.

Post edited by jacool on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Another lop-sided draw. All the big-hitters in United's half.

Anybody could come through that other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Feyernoord vs Roma is nearly more interesting for the off the pitch trouble that could easily happen. Would nearly expect there will be a ban on away fans for both ties. It's also a repeat of last year's Conference League final.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Does anyone know when the ballot for the tickets for the final opens ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Surely what Union Saint-Gilloise are doing is one of the greatest footballing stories ever, up there with Leicester winning the league?

Quarter-Final 1st Legs

Thursday 13th April

17:45 Kick-off

Feyenoord (NED) V AS Roma (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 3

Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) V R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL) - Live on BT Sport 5

Juventus (ITA) V Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) - Live on BT Sport 3

Manchester United (ENG) V Sevilla FC (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 1 / Virgin Media Two

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Hahahahaha oh lord that's one of the funniest last 10 mins of a game I've ever seen total meltdown from Man Utd.

You have to laugh at that result and performance tonight. Hopefully Sevilla can complete the job next Thursday.

2 fluked goals isn't really a meltdown, 2 admittedly from a piece of criminal defending.

It was poor game management, not a meltdown.

Montiel was a **** disgrace though. Ought to have been sent off for the amout of playacting he was doing and waving cards around, seemingly forgetting he was booked for a **** tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Montiel must of spent too much time watching fernandes

Quarter-Final 1st Leg Results

Feyenoord (NED) 1 V 0 AS Roma (ITA)

Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) 1 V 1 R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL)

Juventus (ITA) 1 V 0 Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR)

Manchester United (ENG) 2 V 2 Sevilla FC (ESP)

Quarter-Final 2nd Legs

Thursday 20th April

AS Roma (ITA) V Feyenoord (NED) (Agg 0-1) - Live on BT Sport 3

R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL) V Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) (Agg 1-1) - Live on BT Sport 5

Sevilla FC (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG) (Agg 2-2) - Live on BT Sport 1

Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) V Juventus (ITA) (Agg 0-1) - Live on BT Sport 4

Fernandes is a moaning git, but he doesn't feign injury for what must have been approx 5 mins on 2 separate occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't have twitter but there must be a clip of that united fan taking a header down the stands. 😂 Please post if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

DeGea and Maguire

Dynamite as usual

• Advertisement
Advertisement