Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

Haven’t seen it reported that Nankivell is, but would think regardless of that, it wouldn’t be likely you’d get permission for 5 NIQ players.

Could be wrong but think it’s unlikely.

Would it be a good use of those funds anyway? Are Munster just a player or two away?

Genuine question: wouldn’t this private money be better spent funding an extra few player development officers for the next 10 years than on the likes of Snyman / De Allende?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kelleher just extended at Leinster so that's one IQ option gone.

Would Leinster be better off without the Heineken Cups that Rocky Elsom, Brad Thorn, Scott Fardy and Nathan Hines helped them win?

(i.e., all of their Heineken Cups)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A player or two away from what?

At the moment I feel that Munster are just a player or two away from being on the same level as Ulster.

That is to say a top 4/5 urc team that doesn't have to scrap to qualify for Europe and can compete for home knockouts.

Nothing wrong with 3 quality NIQ imo.

A player or two away from being genuine European and domestic contenders.

Ulster aren’t that, and there isn’t realistically much between Munster and Ulster right now.

Signing 3 high quality NIQ players in those positions is probably at least €1m a year or close enough. I think there are better and more sustainable ways Munster could spend that money.

• Advertisement

Do you really think Munster are as close to European Cup success as that?

The competition is orders of magnitude more difficult to win now than when Leinster won their first one.

The aspiration here must surely be to get back to the very top table, not to just indulge fans in the short term with expensive signings when ultimately the team overall isn’t built to succeed.

We keep hearing how Leinster’s advantages are money, but here a number of Munster fans are consistently proposing just spending money now on a handful of players for a short period of time.

How many elite player development officers could Munster have employed instead of the money they’ve paid RG Snyman and Damian de Allende?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

on the other hand, there are benefits to adding a couple of world class players, such as those mentioned, to the squad - once its kept to a relative minimum. DDA was generally top class for munster too, he just was unlucky that he was playing in a JVG team.

theres an argument that munster have brought in too many journeymen, but signing someone like frisch didnt excite me in any way initially and yet hes been pretty great so far. obviously jenkins didnt really show anything for munster and yet is now doing very well with leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You’re painting an either / or, black and white picture here when the reality is, it needs to be both.

By all accounts Munster’s development pathways have significantly improved (we’re seeing that in the players coming thru now).

Equally, Munster will always need to supplement with NIQ’s and players from outside the Province.

And we have (and I’m repeating myself at this point) the lowest number of NIQ players of any Province.

There is scope.

Yeah, I’m not disparaging those players at all. They’re obviously world class (DDA, Snyman) and hopefully Snyman in particular will have had a big influence longer term on the likes of Edogbo, Ahern etc.

I’ve just genuinely spent a fair bit of time thinking over the past week or two on player development pathways etc because of the comments from McFarland / Wigglesworth / Jackman, and trying to see what’s behind it.

I don’t think it’s just demographics - it’s just not a case of more numbers into the machine means more quality players out the other side. Not to create the level of disparity we’ve seen in the past 10 years or so.

I genuinely believe right now if you took 100 random 12-year old rugby players from Munster, the same from Ulster, Connacht and then Leinster, there wouldn’t be anything really between them in terms of quality. You’d have a few obviously athletically superior kids in there, quite a few average to poor players, and a lot of guys in the middle. Across all four groups.

But, crucially, I think if you revisited the same set of 100 players at this point in time at the age of say 18, you would see what we largely see in underage selections in recent years, a far higher proportion of pro-ready prospects in the Leinster group.

It wasn’t always that way. The schools system has always been around and always been the bulk feeder to Leinster, but the difference in quality in players coming from the schools versus elsewhere in the country wasn’t always so stark.

So what is the difference? Investment. Investment in coaching, facilities, nutrition, gym facilities etc.

If that’s what it is, that problem is solvable. It’s not that easy to find a target for how to make that investment, but pumping money into community development officers etc is surely a start (also I’m not oblivious to the fact that there is already a significant amount of these in Munster rugby).

I’ve made the point before on the case of St Michael’s College in Dublin. A virtual non-entity in rugby terms prior to winning their first senior cup in 2007. Prior to that you’d count on the fingers of one hand the number of Irish internationals they’d produced.

And yet, in the past decade, they’ve produced Dan Leavy, Luke McGrath, James Ryan, Ryan Baird, Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne, Ronan Kelleher, etc. What happened? What changed?

Even closer to home, you see the benefits of what Regis Sonnes was able to do in West Cork, and the pipeline of quality players who came through there.

Genuinely think there’s something in this.

• Advertisement

You don’t think it’s down to demographics but then are pointing to Michael’s as an example of how to produce International calibre players?

I’m genuinely not trying to have another row FTD, but I really don’t follow that logic…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Regis Sonnes helped in Bandon a lot and helped Crowley a lot but he was likely to emerge anyway regardless of Sonnes and Bandon will do more and it wont be because of what Sonnes did

You likely would see that change in Leinster as theyve more schools and more access to players through the schools in addition to the pro coaching, facilities as you say.

Pumping money into community development officers is a help as they can assist coach players more or can or should be assisting clubs and schools put in the structures to help develop better players.

Munster need immediate help in a couple of positions. And if the funds and personnel can be sourced, they should sign them. Just as any other province would.

"No, you should instead sign more player development officers" is a statement which is, at best, lacking in any sense of empirical support.

Yeah. People seem to forget it’s not just Leinster that has private schools.

Take St Michael’s then - it has roughly 650 students or thereabouts and annual fees of around €6k. Doesn’t offer boarding.

Are you saying there are no comparable schools in Munster?

What about PBC? It has more students at c. 720, broadly similar fees (€4.5k), equally non-boarding. It has a better rugby heritage than Michaels.

Yet in the past 10 years Michaels has produced 10 players who’ve been capped by Ireland (who’ve obtained 140 caps between them).

Munster collectively have only produced 16 players over the same timeframe, for a cumulative 92 caps. PBC have produced 3 players, for a cumulative 25 caps.

Are you seriously telling me there is a dramatic disparity in the socio economic background of the students of these two schools?

"Hey, before Michael signs that contract, maybe we should instead hire more player development officers to improve our depth at tight-head"

Said absolutely nobody in Dublin 4, circa April 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i agree with the majority of your post and this is slightly off point, but i will say from what i gather alot of the investment in leinster schools is mainly by the schools themselves (donations etc,) rather than irfu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The point is that Michael's wasn't a top rugby school, then it was. The demographics didn't change, it's still a school full of teenage boys, so it must have been something else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think FTD's argument is that if you get one or two big schools which dedicate themselves fully to rugby and you fix the system in the school to allow dedication to rugby and back that up with coaching assistance and facilities then you will start pumping out future pro players. All you need is a random 100 kids a year and to have them between 12-1

I disagree. I don't know how Michaels do it but I assume that they are importing quality players either by linking up with an amazing minis system producing top quality 12 year olds to enter the Michaels system or by importing students with scholarships at senior cycle level and taking credit for the best players who are already developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

PBC isnt the problem. it is producing pro players/irish 20s at quite a decent rate. Its beyond that there needs to be more done and its there that Munster cant compete. Michaels have significantly over produced pro players/irish 20s even on a global scale the past decade. its not comparable to anywhere else in the country.

Problem with doing it in 1/2 schools is it isnt enough. Munster need to fix/improve the system province wide not try do things in 1/2 schools

Michaels arent really importing anyone. They have a junior school but many from the local clubs minis are now going there when they may have went to other schools in past. Michaels dont really have too many whove moved school for senior cycle to play cup rugby iif you look at a lot of the recent cup sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If John McKee keeps developing he'll be far too good to be 3rd choice at Leinster, could be an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

However they get there - and copying whatever Michael's are doing probably isn't it - the only way the provinces can be competitive is through home grown talent, and lots of it.

Leinster have been on a roll for a few years but a few lean years are inevitable and when they come, results will suffer.

Any foreign signings are only ever going to be sticky plasters, but that's what Munster need in the front row right now.

Blackrock have produced even more over the same period - 10 internationals as well, who've earned a cumulative 244 caps. It's a bigger school, at closer to 1,100 students, but equally it's producing professional rugby players at a simply remarkable rate.

Those two schools alone have produced more Irish internationals in the past 10 years - 20 players (384 caps) than Munster (16 players - 92 caps), Ulster (15 players - 137 caps) and Connacht (12 players - 169 caps).

It's clearly not just numbers when you look at this. Of the players produced as well, of the 20 Blackrock/Michaels internationals only 6 earned less than 5 caps, with the median number of caps 19. There are 8 players in there who've earned over 25 caps (James Ryan, Hugo Keenan, Caelan Doris, Andrew Conway, Garry Ringrose, Joey Carbery, Ian Madigan, Jordi Murphy).

From the other three provinces combined, of the 43 internationals who've earned 398 caps, the median number of caps is 3. 25 of the 43 earned less than 5 caps, and only 5 earned over 25 caps (Robbie Henshaw, Kieran Marmion, Finlay Bealham, Paddy Jackson, Jacob Stockdale).

It's clear as day what's happening in those schools is on a different level to what is happening anywhere else in the country, arguably in Europe, but so far no one has put forward a good reason for why it isn't replicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Stanley 1

My understanding is St. Michael's developed as an overflow school by parents (Dads) who could not get their sons into Blackrock, St.M's saw the gap and brought in a NZ pro Coach to attract boys who did not have old school, nod nod, connections, they may now have 2 full time rugby coaches.

Gonzaga seem to have cottoned on of late.

Maybe a follow on is Blackrock old boys club ain't at the same top level they once occupied.

Mod: Can I suggest taking this to another thread? Listing the reams of players produced by Michaels and Blackrock is, at best, tangentially related to Munster.

Have at it:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058292319/development-pathways/p1?new=1

Blackrock is a very difficult model to replicable because few other areas in the country have the combined affluence and population density within the commutable area to sustain a school of over 1000 fee-paying students, plus access to whatever contributions come from alumni and parents of the current cohort.

Fair play to Michaels, but in a similar vein, I'd like to see how much their rugby programme costs per year and how the bill gets paid.

Yeah, nice little joke, but you might have noticed I haven't said anywhere that there shouldn't be any overseas recruitment. I just queried originally a post claiming Munster needed funding for 3 'high standard' NIQs at 10, 2 and 3, in addition to Snyman and Nankivell.

Bringing in good quality overseas players is valuable to bring in outside perspective, and to help pass on good traits / habits. I'm not saying at all that Munster shouldn't sign any NIQ players, but arguably the level of spend they've allocated towards it in recent years could have been better spent.

Belvedere and Terenure have similar student numbers (and rugby heritage) as Blackrock, yet in recent times have fallen well shy in terms of player production.

Even in Munster, CBC is a sizable school of over 900 boys, with a strong rugby heritage as well. These are all fee paying schools, that have wealthy cohorts attending them and as part of their alumni network.

Glenstal and Clongowes are directly comparable - both are smaller schools, that charge nearly €20k a year in fees. Clongowes has churned out internationals (Dan Sheehan, Will Connors, Tadhg Beirne, Dave Kearney in the past 10 years), Glenstal's solitary international rugby player over that time period is Ben Healy. So what's the excuse reason there then? Surely there's plenty of affluence in the Glenstal alumni network that they could be digging deeper if they chose to?

Had posted this before I saw the mod note above.

But also, for what it's worth; I was making a bigger point than a comment claiming I'm just listing "reams of players produced by Michaels and Blackrock", and it's unfair to suggest otherwise.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Paragraph 1: Do you know how much Munster have spent on development in recent years?

Paragraph 2: All noise until I see the rugby budgets and the backing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think what some people may be missing is that there is a group that put up a couple of million or so each season to enable Munster to sign a couple of world class players. I would be shocked if that group would hand over that money for Munster to not sign anyone but instead say they want to use that money for developing players that may or may not be good enough to make a difference in the next decade or so.

De Allende and Snyman, Snyman and Fekitoa, Snyman and Nankivell.

So realistically, why shouldn’t the IRFU be funding at least one good foreign player for Munster?

I wouldn’t sign an NIQ 10 (all we need is a serviceable 10 to fill in as 3rd choice, an IQ player such as Conor Fitzgerald), but I think we could really use a ball carrying front row, like a big bruising pacific islander at hooker especially or a better tight-head prop instead of resigning Archer next season.

Advertisement