Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presta valve extension o ring size

Options
  • 14-04-2023 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Using these: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-valve-extensions-for-non-removable-vc-2pk-60mm

They use a very small rubber o ring that fits on top of the existing valve and ensures an airtight seal between the extender and valve. Problem is the o rings don't last so I need repalcements, just checking if A. anyone knows what exact size I need or B. anyone can suggest a hack/bodge around this. I do see mention elsewhere of using ptfe tape on the threads, not really sure what they mean but open to suggestions....

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I have used ptfe tape for this and it works without issues (and I’m not handy!). The tape is really thin so you can wrap it around the thread. Then when you screw the extender on, the tape acts as a seal between valve and extender. It’s available in plumbing section of any hardware shop and is really cheap.

Post edited by Mr. Cats on

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Perfect thanks, wasn't sure what way the tape was used, or what it was, I was thinking more along the lines of electrical tape...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

PTFE tape is way thinner than electrical tape. It would be a similar thickness to the little plastic bags at the vegetable section of supermarkets. In plumbing, it is placed over the threads before screwing on the nut, to create a tighter seal. It's usually applied in the thread direction.

Post edited by Wishbone Ash on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yep, PTFE tape for this one I've used it myself before no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

To make your life as easy as possible, make sure you wrap the PTFE tape in the same direction as the thread you're putting it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

PTFE tape it is then... Thanks all!

Advertisement