Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

🤣 And you were trying to claim it wasn't a conspiracy theory. It was all a top secret drugs cartel! Let's ignore the most realistic theory, a man saw her in Spar, fancied her, went up drunk to her house and things went wrong. This came directly from the most realistic suspects mouth. Why ignore that for the mad theories?

Yes, if every witness has to be lying and the Gardaí have to be corrupt in order to provide a defence for someone, then something is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It was in Bailey's own interest to keep his name in the news because he saw the opportunity of making money by sueing anybody he possibly could. His (failed) libel action is evidence of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

There’s certainly a case for him playing the sort of “ I know I’m a strange fish, but this and that and the other” card. The whole thing is probably a big game to him by now, however it’s an awful risk to take if he he had done it. The real problem is that he’s in limbo, it’s difficult to rule him out completely and he’s done himself no favours over the years either. It’s just impossible to tell, he didn’t appear to be in a state of agitation the morning after the murder, no reports of him waking up in the night screaming, no signs of PTSD, you’d need to be a very calculating character to pull it off and behave reasonably normally after doing something like that. At this stage he knows that regardless of whether he’s guilty or innocent it could never go to trial anyway as he wouldn’t be able to get a fair trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I honestly wouldn't be certain about that.

He was only known to be violent towards his partner, not to other women. He didn't beat anybody up in pubs or on the streets, or chase after other women or attempt to rape any of them. If Bailey was violent, he was only towards Jules and under the influence of alcohol, at least the latter would be true for that fateful night.

Sophie was rarely in Ireland anyway, maybe 3 weeks maximum in any given year and this fact was most likely known.

Why build up anger and hate towards a women who is rarely there at her cottage, whom he doesn't even know properly and why hike or drive there in the dead of night just to kill her?

What would Bailey's motive have been? ( And pls don't say, he wanted sex with her because if so, he would have to wait an awfully long time for Sophy to come to Ireland.....) I simply don't believe that Bailey's motive was sexual, if he was the killer.

The problem with the theory that Bailey did it, is that he simply has no understandable motive. No real motive to speculate about.

He wouldn't benefit from her death, - he had many other articles to write anyway. He wouldn't benefit financially from her death and there was most likely nothing Sophie threatened to do against Bailey and he needed to stop and prevent her from doing that.

Her husband benefitted hugely from Sophie's death. The marriage was on the rocks and a divorce would have been costly. From a financial perspective this is "Motive Number One".

And a small time drug dealer or a corrupt guard in on it facing a prison sentence is also a a strong motive. I doubt that Leo Bolger would have gotten off lightly a 2nd time around.

The police behaviour would also suggest that they were colluding and deliberately going in the wrong direction, but with what motive? To prevent something from happening, like implicating one of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

It’s become a way of life for Ian by now, this constant crusade to prove his innocence. Thing is he didn’t need to do any of it, it’s down to the State to prove that he’s guilty he’s presumed innocent until that happens. He must have had it pretty handy, most working people wouldn’t have the time to be constantly dealing with it.

"You did it. You saw her in Spar on Saturday. You saw her walking up the aisle with her tight arse. You fancied her. You went up there to see what you could get. She ran off screaming. You chased her to calm her down. You stirred something in the back of your head. You went too far. You had to finish her off."

^ The most plausible explanation and it came from Bailey's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He was only known to be violent towards his partner, not to other women. He didn't beat anybody up in pubs or on the streets, or chase after other women or attempt to rape any of them. If Bailey was violent, he was only towards Jules and under the influence of alcohol, at least the latter would be true for that fateful night.

That's exactly the type of excuse making for Bailey that I am taking about.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Excuse making for someone who has nothing of substance pointing him to the murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

A steady yearly survey shows that one in three women has been abused by their Husband / Partner at least once during their relationship.

35.6% too be precise.

These figures are a reflection on Irish society, not just the loons and blow-ins of West Cork.

The reasoning that Bailey had a propensity for violence against women is not really going to cut the mustard here and provide grounds for a conviction for murder.

A rough google of the area will provide a figure of around 57,000 males residing in West Cork at any given time, or around 17,000 bucks that have raised their hand to their respective women.. That's at least 16,999 that didn't murder Sophie, yet have a track record for violence towards women.. Can you see where this is going...??

Thankfully, our justice system requires evidence and not the local country bumpkin gossip to convict a man.

Look at the personality and character of Ian Bailey, he is a media whore that strives too be kept in the spotlight.. He kept himself relevant to the investigation from the get-go.. He could have explained his timeline from day one, there is not one shred of evidence against him, he could have fallen off the radar by the end of his first interview.

Instead, he kept goading the investigation by way of third party comments, offering up double meaning statements to willing news carriers.. He played them all, never saying enough to incriminate himself - And he knew it.

Too this day, he still goads the public with his posts - He is an intelligent man behind it all. He keeps himself relevant.

There is a reason why the good Ian is still walking the streets - Nobody has anything on him, not one iota.

Realistically... Do you think that after a feed of beer (Bailey style), he would have been able to pull off a brutal murder, get splattered in blood, make it home again, wash up, clean up, and leave not one sign of his grizzly shenanigans from the night before for anybody to discover... Oh yeah, and then goad the investigation team to scrutinise him....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not a conspiracy theory to point out that miscarriages of justice happen. Noted that you were completely unable to challenge except with a rehash of the same nonsense.

The DPP must be a conspiracy theorist so?

Because they looked at the witnesses and evidence and believed the ones that supported Bailey's version of events and discounted the ones who implicated him. My view of the 'confessions', the scratches, the fire, Bailey's behaviour on the day the body was discovered, Bill Fuller, Marie Farrell is by and large the same as that expressed in what is taken to be the DPP report.

Some of the witnesses in the case must be lying, plain wrong or misremembering, because there are contrary statements on points of fact. I pointed this out to you already and you ignored it as it doesn't suit your self serving argument

Do you believe every word of Marie Farrell's statement to AGS? AGS purported to do so. IF not, you're a conspiracy theorist!

GSOC must be a conspiracy theory organisation because they found malpractice on the case!

This is the 'ludicrous' standard you have set for yourself. Hoist on your own petard.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

Is it really the most plausible theory though - I dont think it is. Im not 100% convinced Bailey is innocent either but when you look at the following list of other suspects he actually seems the most unlikely:

• The grieving husband who couldn't be bothered to even come to Ireland when his wife was murdered who got his lover pregnant 6 months after Sophies murder. It was also reported that they had marital difficulties. Does this sound like a grieving husbands behaviour?
    • The randy local garda who had a problem with women saying no to him. This garda also apparently had a fondness for foreign women
    • The small time drug dealer who lived next door who reportedly didnt get on with Sophie. They had disputes regarding land bounderies and the gate being left opened in the past. The gardai allowed the neighbours trample all over the scene and bizarrely allowed them to travel to the dump a mere few hours after the body being discovered. These same neighbours apparently heard or seen nothing despite living very near the scene. One of them also had an injury to their hand.
    • Rumours of big drug deals in the area. Did Sophie see something she shoudnt have
    • The Ungerers - one of the few people who knew Sophie was alone. Mr Ungerer is supposed to have being a strange sort
    • German neighbour who committed suicide soon after and is said to have told others that he done a terrible thing
    • A son of a local prominent family went abroad in a huge hurry soon after the murder. He is rumoured never to have returned to Ireland
    • Sophies house was being used by someone when she wasnt there. Could they have made there way into the house that night thinking it was empty
    • Marie Farrell - what I can I say about Marie- Who was the invisible man and did he even exist. What is the truth with Marie and why did she tell so many lies?

I havent even mentioned all the unusual misfits who lived in the area. Bailey actually seems normal when compared to some of them. It seems an area full of weirdos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Leo Bolger was dealing and got a suspiciously suspended sentence for such an operation... a garda described his cannabis operation as the “most sophisticated” ever witnessed in West Cork. "

Wasn't this around the time - several years after the event- he "remembered" Alfie introducing Bailey to Sophie?

Yep. But apparently you'd have to be a conspiracy theorist to see any connection between the two.

AGS would NEVER NEVER do anything like that.

Or offer a criminal drugs to try to get information on Bailey.

And look at the name of the judge who gave him the suspiciously suspended sentence - which was out of line with previous sentences for in comparison minor dealing given by the same judge. Where do we see that name again.

The DPP did not support Bailey's version of events, that's complete nonsense. They just didn't think there was enough evidence. I don't believe anything Marie Farrell said. It's normal to not believe everything but for you, you have to disbelieve everything that implicates Bailey. Multiple people with incriminating testimony, AGS, forensic experts and even statements from Bailey himself!

They're all in on the conspiracy. But the corrupt Gardaí can be believed if they found something supporting Bailey. Also, the people saying the scratches came from cutting trees can be believed 100% even though they'd have more reason to lie. The Gardaí being incompetent doesn't change the fact that Bailey should be the number 1 suspect based on what we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Why would Sophie be aware or even care if there were drug operations going on locally?"

Why then did she ask Josie Hellen to keep her updated on Alfie's drugs bust, and to send her newspaper clippings of the case?

Bailey's statement of seeing her in Spar and heading up to her house where everything went wrong is far more realistic than some mad drug cartel theories, a hitman sent on a top secret mission to a remote location, some murderous randy guard and all those other fantasies. This isn't the movies, it's usually the most simple explanation that's true.

We'll add judges to the list involved in this conspiracy! 🤣 It's amazing that they couldn't get the DPP involved also given who they got on board to implicate poor, innocent, woman beating Bailey.

There you go contradicting yourself. Apparently I'm not allowed to disbelieve Bill Fuller - that makes me a conspiracy theorist to doubt AGS.

But you can doubt Marie Farrell even though AGS apparently do believe her.

Nowhere do I say I don't believe everything that implicates Bailey. I point out that a lot of what is considered as 'implicating' is debateable \ cirsumstantial \ could have an entirely innocent interpretation. I believe some witnesses implicating Bailey are lying - either because they are fantasists, or were given an incentive to do so, have a grudge against Bailey, or some combination of them.

Pages were ripped from the Garda book deliberately. That's more than incompetence.

The Bandon tapes, bribing criminals with drugs to get dirt on Bailey -> again, that's more than incompetence.

The DPP did support Bailey's version of events in the report circulating - on the scratches, on the so called 'confessions' and more. If that is taken to be a report from that source, then it goes far beyond merely 'not enough evidence'. They looked at the evidence typically cited and discredited \ discounted it. SO when they say there wasn't enough evidence, that's after they have ruled out Marie Farrell, the scratches, the fire, the so-called confessions. It's not that they take them to be true.

The number one suspect is person \ persons unknown.

I have written before, that I would never ever rule out Bailey. If he did it, he should rot in jail.

However the problem with the theory "Bailey did it" is that he neither has motive nor is there evidence to place him at the crime scene. I doubt that he drove to the murder site, otherwise he'd have to clean the car, so he would have hiked. That would have been at least one hour one way. It would have been quite some exercise for somebody who's been out drinking also not knowing if Sophie would have opened the door to him. And how would Bailey have known when Sophie would fly back to France and how long she would have been at her cottage?

The whole Bailey theory is based on his history of violence towards his partner Jules and it is implied that he would do the same to nearly ever other woman. But again, he has no history of that as well.

And then there is the police, corrupt and incompetent, clearly with intent of covering something up for somebody, - either one of their own or somebody was paying them in secrecy to do so.

Thanks for the excellent overview, but you did forget Sophie's ex lover in France who's relationship was terminated by Sophy rather abruptly, - his alibi was just a signature on some telephone technician in France.

These are all the lose ends in this case the police was never able to answer. Instead they colluded, covered up, coerced witnesses and gave drugs to transients to get close to Bailey. Just by this behaviour things are sadly pointing to a higher ranking Guard either involved with drugs or having a sexual interest. Would the police have gone to all that length if it was Sophie's husband? or some ex-lover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

To quote Eamon Barnes, Director of Public Prosecutions: "the evidence came nowhere near warranting a charge against Ian Bailey" " the case was thoroughly flawed and prejudiced and culminated in a grossly improper attempt to achieve or even force a decision which accorded with that prejudice"

That's pretty supportive of Bailey's claim of innocence. From an impeccably credible source.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think anyone doubts that there is not enough evidence to charge Bailey.

But what I find odd is how people manage to come up with theories to suggest that others are stronger suspects than Bailey.

Did the husband hire a hit man to carry out such a messy hit ?

How could a man determined to be "frail" be a better fit for beating a woman to death with a heavy object than a strapping 6+ footer?

Bailey is the best suspect because there is so much circumstantial evidence against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

The randy garda theory is likely nothing more than rumour.......there is no evidence at all to support it.

But the involvement of Daniel is far more plausible, simply because he had the most obvious motive. He certainly had the means to arrange it and plausible motive.

Also his behaviour subsequent to the death of his wife is curious. The rather rapid marrying of his pregnant lover shortly afterwards would also raise some eyebrows.

I think motive is absolutely key.

You can believe or disbelieve whoever you want. The problem for you is that you have to disbelieve so many people including Bailey to avoid admitting that he's the most likely suspect. And to try to rule him out, you have to believe those with reason to lie. It's not a solid foundation for ruling someone out.

The DPP didn't think there was enough evidence and that's down to the incompetence of AGS. The French authorities found enough evidence but you rule that out, right?

I think that's just your opinion, and also all our not knowing the full picture.

From a financial perspective the husband had by far the biggest motive ever. How he hired the hitman, how many people the orders were given and how money was possibly exchanged back then would be up for imagination. However for somebody with knowledge it's not impossible to enter Ireland via some other airport by a person which can't be easily traced back to her husband.

And the "frail" murderer ( I'd say you're referring to Alfie ) could easily have been coerced to do so, his drug habit being one leverage.

So I would ask you, what would Bailey motivate to hike for one hour to kill a woman who may or may not even open him the door?

Your statements about the DPP have been demonstrated by multiple posters to be false, without foundation and merit.

Directly contradicted in fact.

Yet still you repeat it. I think that speaks volumes about your 'case'.

There is no way your false statements can be reconciled with this:

To quote Eamon Barnes, Director of Public Prosecutions: "the evidence came nowhere near warranting a charge against Ian Bailey" " the case was thoroughly flawed and prejudiced and culminated in a grossly improper attempt to achieve or even force a decision which accorded with that prejudice"

And if we take this report to be from the DPP:

Bailey’s explanation for the scratches is plausible, consistent and is supported by other direct and credible evidence.

The Garda contention that Bailey is being untruthful and evasive regarding his knowledge of Sophie Toscan du Plantier is not supported by convincing evidence.

Based on the above conversation and on the allegation by Martin Graham that he was given Hash by the Gardaí, despite D/Gda. Fitzgerald’s denial, the balance of evidence suggests that Graham is telling the truth. Such investigative practices are clearly unsafe to say the least.

The Gardaí that describe Bailey and Jules as lying in relation to the fire. This Office is not persuaded that is the case. In any event the most that this evidence could possibly establish is that Bailey could have burnt bloodstained clothes, not that he did so.

https://syndicatedanarchy.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/30/

So he was saying there's not enough evidence to arrest Bailey. That's what I said. This can be true, along with the Guards being completely incompetent and the investigation flawed. This can all be 100% correct but takes nothing away from the likelihood of Bailey being guilty. The flawed investigation could be the reason he's still a free man.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If I'm not mistaken, the French found nothing. Their "trial" was based on evidence provided by AGS which our DPP had already said was thoroughly flawed and prejudiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

The same Josie Hellen (Housekeeper & probably only Irish confidant) did also speculate as to the likely killer:

'Josie believes a local person around Schull were they both live took Sophie's life.

She said: "It is probably somebody who had a crush on her, who must have seen her and went out of their way to see where she lived.

"Somebody out there knows who the killer is and is shielding him.

"I would appeal to that person to come forward to contact the Gardai for the sake of the whole community." '

A fairly specific line. And one the Gardai rightly or wrongly pursued.

• Advertisement

This is by far the biggest motive. It is also speculated that Daniel would have some financial problems as well, - but that was also never investigated. Him not coming to Ireland spelt to me the language of "I don't care if she's dead" and "don't go to Ireland" and "better get on with your new girl" and "let all the others deal with it". I mean, what do you do, if your wife dies overseas? You drop everything and go there to take care of things.

However I don't know the extent of possible drug trafficking in the area, the financial loss or a possible jail sentence. Interesting fact is that neither on the peninsula lived a lifestyle in luxury.

Advertisement