Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Farm Quad to Buy

• 11-04-2023 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

What's the best make of farm quad to buy for light farm use? Would I get a used 4wd under €2500?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What work do you intend doing with the quad? Just herding? light trailer? Bag manure?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Herding, some spraying, light trailer etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I’m looking at them online too. Is Honda the top dog? Cf motos seem good value compared to the second hand stuff but don’t know anything about them. Some Suzukis on dd too but again know nothing about them. Id only want one for herding and moving stock, maybe a sprayer and a light trailer. Would a four wheel drive be necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've a polaris 2wd. Bogged it and had to get towed out with a jeep. Depends on your land type of you need 4wd. If you're ground is soft or steep in places I'd get 4wd. They are heavy buggers to move if they get stock.

Otherwise 2wd is fine.

I think that the fella that has the regenerative farming you tube channel has a cf moto and does a lot of work with it. He has a review of it on his channel. Can't remember his name though.

I saw a 2013 Yamaha grizzly 350 4wd on Done deal in Clare earlier for €1990 but it's sold already

• Advertisement

Thanks I’ll look him up. I see some Honda quads and there is a gear stick to the left of the seat, just above where your knee would be. Is that just for forward and reverse? I assume all manual quads are changed gear by the foot lever like a motorbike?

I don't think many are foot change. Our polaris has a lever at fuel tank level which is used to select between high/low/neutral/park/reverse.

Cfmoto is similar. Not sure about the Honda.

Cfmoto like polaris have the hitch on drawbar out the back of the quad.

Check the Honda, someone told me they didn't like the hitch position on them - can't remember why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You’d get away with a 350/400. If you were topping, spreading fertilizer etc you’d need a 500

• Advertisement

Ah right. Thought it was in a terrible position if you needed to change through the gears. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭anthony500_1

I think most of the newer ones are electronic shift between gears say something like a thumb button beside the handlebar grip. To go from 1st to 2nd etc, the big leaver by the knee is to select hi,low, and reverse only. I know the newer Yamaha say 2010 onwards maybe have a thing called a CVT transmission where it's basically an automatic. You can hold it in certain gears or just rev it up and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'm looking out for one a while now. Nothing only broken junk under 3.5k at least in the 4x4 450 up range. A bad one will break your heart and be parked up half the time.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Had a honda 350 2wd here up till 2 years ago,was very light on petrol but would spin on a snot,Have a Honda trx 500 electric shift with selectable 2 and 4wd now and its a like chalk and cheese compared to the 350 I had,bit heavier on petrol but better pulling power,safer and more comfortable

At todays prices you will end up with a wore out bike for €2500

What was that machine like, I see one on done deal at the moment for €1650 with the engine done recently but plastic abit worn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Buy a old jeep if for off road use,a quad would be uncomparable for safety & ability.

Wheres the cheapest place to buy brake parts for quad online?

Advertisement