Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone any insight to update the Wallbox charger. This update has been sitting there for months now but fails everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭cython

I've a Pulsar Plus myself but never had any issue with updating it. I'd get on to their support, I've found them pretty responsive with a different issue I've been having around a recurring error state and red halo (PEN fault, from reading online).

They advised a software restore initially but it recurree, and are now shipping a replacement unit once I get the installer back (they've no personnel to support this themselves in Ireland) to check and conduct a replacement if they authorise same (via phone at the time). Now to see how engaged the installer is with this, though they are a Wallbox partner....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

How would it be finicky? You put it on the end of your type 1 cable and leave it on all sorted for 80 blips, bargain 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I was in the same situation last year with 2 differences.

1. I was keeping a type 1 Leaf

2. I heard Tesla don't take kindly to type 1 - type 2 adaptors.

My rolec was installed pre-grant. I considered just changing the cable, but I decided to replace the whole unit because they are the least reliable unit on the market imo and I wanted a smart charger with future proof solar connectivity.

Installers wanted 12-1400 for the likes of a basic wallbox install. All he wiring was in place and the only addition would be an isolator....but installers are just ripping people off. They can do this because there is no shortage of work. One crowd wanted me to have the tails done and that would require earth rod an bonding at a cost of 1-2k. All to "save" the elusive 600.

Balls to that. I ordered a Hypervolt 2.0 from the UK with VAT deducted and it cost around 500 delivered. Killed the power to the Rolec and installed the new unit myself. I registered it with HV the same as an installer would and its a great unit. I ordered an adapter which I can use to charge the Leaf, but mostly use the granny charger on an outdoor socket because we can fully charge it on night rate that way.

The adapter suggested earlier is the cheapest solution. I wouldn't rule it out. The handy part about the one listed is it clicks into place. The are shorter versions which look just like a block extension with no visible cables. My issue with these is it acts as leverage on your car socket.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

The installer that wanted you to upgrade the mains was diligent in pointing that out

he’s also not permitted to do a car charger installation without the correct size cables in place

they must also ensure that the earthing arrangement is correct and test and verify the installation

what you have done is dangerous and could potentially be a fire hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Snopake

What is needed to claim the grant? It’s not clear from looking online. Does it need to be claimed by an installer or can I claim it and buy charger myself?

I got my first charger installed by a registered electrician for €150 so I’m not keen on giving an installer company a couple of hundred for less work

Only 1 installer mentioned the tails upgrade and that's fair enough. Most houses in the country would need the tails done and most likely the earth-rod and bonding too. The basic install price for a wallbox was €1400 without these extras....which the installer in question did not offer as a service despite them being a general domestic electric company. The money is in quick charger installs.

Several others just quoted blind at between €1200 and as high as a shade under €1600.

What I have done is no more dangerous than replace a socket in the house. Don't be hyperbolic. There was a charger in place already. A simple swap is actually safer, as the new unit is better built and safer as such. I would have added an isolator switch, but then that would have been considered a change in the circuit.

Funny that the install only a couple of years ago was considered safe and now since the new grant came out, it's not. The installers are absolutely creaming it. Same thing will happen with solar next month. On top of the grant which the installers absorb as extra profit, the zero VAT will pocket them a couple of grand extra per install as quotes go up by 20-25%

The installer looks after the grant, but you first need to apply via the SEAI website and give your details. After being accepted, you can get your quotes. The installers usually first ask if you have the grant in place. After all is done (assuming your house is up to current regs) you have all the paperwork submitted to SEAI and wait a couple of months for the €600 you were overcharged by the installer.

Stay Free

Best post in this thread by a country mile. Absolutely disgraceful what's going on, but as usual nothing is being done about it.

Did you read his post before turning on the faux outrage? The house wiring was deemed suitable pre grant and obviously was as it's still standing without a burnt hole in the roof, now because he undid three wires himself it's going to become the towering inferno, will you cop on for feck sake...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Is it OK to get my electrician to install the wall charger? Or does it have to be a registered installer or whatever. We've only just had our house fully re wired as we are renovating so hopefully we're good to go with regards to wiring and it won't be too big a job. Getting a 22kwh Zoe for our first electric car so on the lookout for what wall charger to get now.

Are you going for grant?

It has to be a RECI. There is no SEAI list of approved installers like their insulation grants etx

Going for the grant yeah. Yeah he's registered with RECI so that's grand. Thanks

Wallbox Pulsar seems to be the job for the charger? Any better out there?

Make sure to apply beforehand.

Is he supplying it or are you?

EasyGo are supplying and fitting for €599 nett or grant so make sure your saving with your friend.

Zappi, OHME or wallbox is what I’d choose if I was going smart/PV.

The grant covers supply and installation with Easygo?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Snopake

I saw on the installer grant form there is a question “is there already an existing charger in place”. Is this a disqualifier for the grant?

If you got no grant then no. But it’s asked as I assume the RECI has to our in precautions for load. So load balancing or priority device etc

€599 after grant.

Wallbox supply and fit.

€799 for Zappi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

Yes, you can charge with that no problem. The proximity pilot (PP) pin on the charging plug is there to tell both car and charger what the cable is rated for and it will only allow charge up to that amperage, in your case it's probably 16A.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭allinthehead

It wasn't fine pre grant, the electrician that installed that charger day one didn't do his job properly and should've upgraded the tails, installed an earth rod and upgraded the bonding. Nothing at all grant related, this has to do with safety and regulations.

Look at it this way, that house is operating everything from a 10 sq cable. An Ev charger further than a few meters from the distribution board should have 10 sq feeding it imo. Showers these days must be wired in 10sq and your arguing that it's fine for everything in the house to run off the same size cable?

I do agree though that installers are charging mad money for charger replacement where cables are already installed.

☀️

• Advertisement

The charger was installed on a priority switch with the electric shower, so no need to upgrade tails at the time. SAFE ELECTRIC are a joke! Their constant fiddling are a barrier to many safe upgrades and installations because there is so much red tape.

Want an EV charger? Get the tails upgraded.

Want the tails upgraded? Get an earth rod and bonding done.

Still want the ev charger? Nah mate, your fuseboard needs to be upgraded for no other reason than it is 20 years old. Oh and you also need to have it moved because its under the stairs with a toilet and sink.

Can we do it? No, you just need to pay an electrician a €150 call out fee to get a quote. But they're all too busy hoovering up ev and solar grant money to give you a price.

Is there any wonder why people are starting to bypass the regs and do their own work?

Stay Free

Yes I am. The house has run perfectly fine for two years on his existing tails, which I'm sure are still perfectly adequate. It's just the usual grant assisted gouging going on. Every cowboy and his horse have been installing 9kw showers since the 90s and not a word about it.

Exactly. Replacing tails has to be the biggest cash cow going. Chop a length off from the reel in the van, undo 6 screws without getting a brain hemorrhage, six hundred please....

Exactly. It’s actually over 5 years was fine with the previous charge point in my case. 6 years now with the same circuit. No explosions so far.

I appreciate the dangers of DIY, but logic is out the window with the regs now. Try to make an improvement and add a safety measure and you get ridden.

By trying to everything by the book and to the regs, I have since been told that because my consumer unit is under the stairs where I have a sink, I can’t get solar. This was after spending €600 getting an earthrod and bonding done last week.

I will now likely do DIY solar and have a friendly electrician make the grid connection. I’d have preferred to get everything done by professional installers, but so far, they’ve cost me money I didn’t have to spend. I’m well capable of doing the bonding myself, but wouldn’t make the final connection.

Stay Free

While Safe Electric are indeed a joke that doesn't change the fact that installing a priority unit means that a tails upgrade isn't required. 10sq isn't sufficient for modern homes.

My next concern would be that your home isn't neutralised. I understand your frustration but surely having a safe installation should be your number one concern, upgrading the tails, installing an earth rod and bonding water and gas pipes is about safety, It has absolutely nothing to do with grants.

☀️

You see that's the thing with electrics, they're fine and work away until they don't.

10 sq is not sufficient for a house, again this has nothing to do with a grant. If you ask a registered electrician to install a shower and the house is fed by 10's then he must upgrade them, check for an earth rod and bonding. Esb must get involved as the rec cannot touch the meter. If you refuse he should then issue a notice of potential hazard, and you will be forced to upgrade. Surge protection must now be installed too. This is not an opinion, these are the regulations whether we like it or not.

☀️

Maybe I missed it somewhere but he never said the feed to the house was 10 Sq. Whatever the house is being fed with obviously is heavy enough for the loads being imposed on it as the house is still here. All he wants is to change the CP to a different model and is getting fed a load of crap, it's as simple as that. Surge protection?? When did that come into it? Jaysus he'll need a lightning conductor next...

I assume you meant to say that installing a priority switch means that a that a tails upgrade is/was required. Otherwise your first sentence is self cancelling. In any case, the 10sq has been sufficient up until now. The purpose of the priority switch is to prevent too much juice being pulled from 2 high power units.

There are 2 reasons I wanted the tails upgraded. To have a second charger installed for convenience (with load sensing for extra peace of mind) and for the planned solar installation.

My electrics are old, but they are perfectly fine. I have had an earth rod and bonding done and plan on further improvements.

You are wrong about the grants....it has everything to do with grants. Electricians are busy sucking up all the grant money, which makes everything more expensive. To avail of grants, the customer needs to jump through hoops unless they have a home built recently, but not too recently. I had 2 Electricians tell me they don't do tails or CU replacements because SAFE ELECTRIC have made the work not worth the hassle. Why bother moving or upgrading a CU which could take a whole day and cost as little as €350 according to leccy websites when you can do 3 EV charger installs and charge 1k for labour on each of them?

The grants do nothing but pad the pockets of the tradesman and make it so much harder and more expensive to get them to do any other work. This is why more people will give the middle finger to the regs and will do the work themselves.

Stay Free

So your argument is the house is still standing so that's proof that all's good, I can tell you that this year so far I am dealing with three homes ruined due to electrical faults. They were fine for 30 years or so until they weren't. It's incredible how dangerous an installation can be but still function.

Surge protection was brought in under Is10101 in the last couple of years. It was always recommended but now a risk assessment must be carried out when doing restricted electrical work and basically if the cost of replacing electrical appliances is higher than the cost of installing surge protection then it must be installed. Usually costs about 100 euro to install, so it should always be installed. Arc fault detection is also now recommended.

☀️

• Advertisement

Fair point there, you're saying the grants are having an indirect affect on other work.

The issue for most contractors is dealing with the ESB is a pain. They need to visit a house to look at the job the customer wants done, they find issues like yours and then inform you that you need upgrades done. Customer is pissed because they need shell out more than they thought and the contractor then has a headache because the customer is unhappy and they then need to make multiple visits to perform the upgrades. It would be so much cheaper and easier if contractors could change the tails without getting Networks involved

I recently had a smart meter installed and when I checked the cabinet I found that TLI (working on behalf of Esb Networks) had removed the Isolator between the old meter and and the consumer unit, meaning if my board ever needed upgrading then the work would either have to carried out with live tails, or Networks would need to kill the power. When I rang to complain I was told that I could have the isolator reinstalled, but I would need to provide a cert. Most of the older digital meters had built in isolators where the contractor could connect/disconnect, none of the smart meters have these but some have been installed with a stand alone isolator, most have not and it comes down to cost.

I mentioned in my last reply that your house may not be neutralised, do you have an earth wire connected directly to the ESB neutral at the meter?

☀️

Advertisement