Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking fine

• 14-04-2023 8:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I got a parking fine yesterday because I 'overstayed' the 3 hour max. I had paid the parking fee, but the warden still issued the fine. Its worth noting, this is the only carpark where you can legally park in this town, and it was less than half full all day.

I was working and I knew the warden will do anything to fine you, so I downloaded the app.

I'm going to challenge this but I find it odd that the warden took detailed photos at 11am, then later at 2.30. I have parked there before (once every 6 weeks) and paid via the ticket machine and never been fined. My feeling is that this is because I used the app this time. I can't see how it would be possible for a warden to patrol the town and take such detailed photos of all cars.

Is it possible to ask under the freedom of information act to get information to see if they did this to all cars, or just certain cars, or more likely, just cars that use the app. I also want to know if any local businesses are given a dispensation to park all day, because there is nowhere else to legally park.

Comments

Are you saying you didn’t overstay beyond the 3 hr limit, or are you saying you did, and are pissed off because you got caught and fined? Hard to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Are you saying that you paid the correct fee but still received the fine?

Or that the fee only paid for three hours max and you overstayed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm confused. You have overstayed in quotes but it seems you were there at 11 and still at 2.30, which is well over three hours. It simply looks like you were caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I paid for one 3 hour session and then paid for a second. I was fully paid whilst using the car park. The fine was for staying over 3 hours in a half full carpark. The warden took detailed photos of my wheel positions to show i didn't move the car.

I just want to know if the warden is targeting app users, and if certain businesses/ employees are allowed to stay all day. I can't see them taking such photos of all the cars in this town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're in to conspiracy theories there. Appeal it if you think you were legally parked. Though some have conditions like the car has to be moved between sessions. It's often three hours max, not as many consecutive sessions of three hours as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If the rules say max stay 3 hours and you overstayed that's all that matters. How you paid is utterly irrelevant, you broke the rule and were caught this time. Just because you got away with it before doesn't mean you're being targeted this time because of your payment method.

Is it that you are only allowed one 3 hour period per day (i'm still not entirely clear).

The amount of cars in the car park or the ins and outs of apps are irrelevant if you were fined correctly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The amount of cars in the car park is also irrelevant.

Not a conspiracy theory, just a logical conclusion. One parking warden for the entire town, and it's a large town. It would be impossible to take photos of all cars. Perhaps I was unlucky and they did a spot check. My feeling is that they do this for app users as it's probably more likely that an app user would do this. I don't agree with the fine but I want to know if they are just focusing on app users, and I want to know if any employees are allowed to park all day. If they're going to be fair, then be fair.

Ok, you are pissed because you were fined correctly. Rather than suck it up you are drawing in all kinds of assumptions and irrelevant issues under the "It's not fair (miscellaneous provisions )" act.

I doubt you'll get much sympthyy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

You really have a lot of time on your hands.

There is a 3 hours time limit. You breached that limit. You got a ticket. The warden has absolute proof you breached that limit. You even accept you breached that limit.

Yet you are whining on a forum and want to to use foi to show PRECISELY what you are already accepting and then spend hours of time trying to defend a clear breach of the regulations which you accept you knew about.

Seriously????

I'm not whining about anything. I asked a question to find out if I could use the freedom of information act to find out if all cars are photographed in the manner mine was, or if it is just those who use the app. I also wanted to see if I could use the same act to find out if any businesses have a dispensation to park all day.

If you don't have anything to add to THAT question, then jog on.

Post edited by RoboRat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

having that information doesn't help your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You won't be able to use the FoI Act to find out if other peoples' cars were photographed — that's their personal information, protected by GDPR. Only they can access it. (Likewise they cannot find out if your car was photographed.) Plus, photographing the cars is a law enforcement measure, and information relating to law enforcement is generally not accessible under the FoI Act. So, no joy there.

If there is an agreement with any business by which they get extended parking rights, that probably is discoverable, unless it's an agreement under which the business pays for extended parking rights, in which case its probably exempt as commercially sensitive information. But you're on a fishing expedition there — you have no reason to think that such an agreement exists.

Before making an FoI request you should probably investigate whether the Council has power to make such an agreement — if there are bye-laws, regulations or other legislation in place limiting parking to three hours, the Council probably can't make a contract with someone allowing them to park for longer than that; they have to amend (or the the Minister to amend) the legislation.

I think most posters are telling you to pay the fine and jog on.

Whining that you got caught and someone else didn't is rather petty and trying to find a "legal" angle to worm out of paying is just stupidity

Thanks, this is useful. I'm not looking for actual photos of the cars, just to know how many cars were photographed in such a manner on that day. If this is standard practice, then I'll suck it up. The problem is that other staff members use the ticket machine and never had this issue. If they only photographed certain cars, and those cars were app users, then I question their use of the app. I also have to question why the app offers to extend your stay when this is not allowed - I know that this is probably a generic function but there is no warning, that's just lazy. There is one sign in the car park and it's right in the corner and surrounded by trees so it's not immediately visible.

The car park is a county council car park and we have approached them before about using it for employees. We got nothing back so I would be interested to see if this is the case for all.

I think even an enquiry about how many cars were photographed would be an enquiry about law enforcement measures, and would probably be knocked back.

Your point about the app accepting payments to extend/renew sessions is a good one. If it's not permitted to do this, then the Council shouldn't be accepting money from people who want to do it (and then fining them for doing it!). It's not good enough to say that this is a feature of the app; the council doesn't have to offer payment by app in the first place but, if they do, they have a responsibility to find (and if necessary commission) an app that is actually fit for purpose.

If I was in your position and if I didn't value my time, I'd consider not paying the fine and going to court, where I would point out that the Council accepted payment to extend the parking session, creating a reasonable belief on your part that this was permitted, and that it would be oppressive of them to prosecute you for an act in which they themselves were complicit.

If the app is a generic app for the county council concerned than it can be used for payment in any car park using the code provided on the signs.

Where local restrictions (such as a three hour max stay) are applied, then the app may include provision for this, for example stating that users must still obey any particular rules applicable to the parking zone used.

That was my feeling, although I felt they would argue that the app can be used on multiple car parks and this option may be available for some. I do feel that not having a simple warning message is just lazy - it can be easily done. Even disabling the option to extend can be done using logic - if car park = X, do not display extend option.

The reason I was enquiring about the number of cars being photographed is that if they are targeting app users, could that be perceived as a breach of GDPR - they are not using the data they collected for the purposes it was meant for. Hard to prove, I know. I have appealed the fine and if they reject the appeal, I will then ask about the app and if there are dispensations for other businesses. It's a council car park, so it should have the same rules for everyone.

I just had a call from 2 councilors and both agreed that it's wrong - they're going to appeal on my behalf as they offered to extend the parking and they accepted the offer.

By your reckoning the car park should be available for all day parkers provided they pay the requisite fee.

Do you not consider the possibility that the council are foregoing the revenue that would generate to allow people who are visiting the town for business, shopping or medical appointments to park there? You say it's the only legal car park in town.

• Advertisement

The car park should be available for people who need to park their cars. The car park is rarely full on weekdays - it was less than half full yesterday. There is a car park in the local shopping centre which is very close, but it's for their customers only.

I understand that they impose these restrictions to stop people from parking up and heading off for the day, but there is a middle ground for those who work locally and need somewhere to park. I hope that my objections might make them aware of a problem that they need to address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why do you think that it’s someone else’s job to provide you with storage space for your private property?

I had a good chat with the council and they see my point (I was quite surprised). They also agree with the query raised regarding the app offering the extension when it's not available.

2 councilors have been in touch to say the issue will be raised at the next meeting, and they hope to come up with a solution for local businesses, and their parking requirements.

I'm glad I challenged it and hopefully, it will sort the problem out.

@Peregrinus, thanks for taking the time to offer your view.

Hmmm... it's a council car park. It's run by the council which runs on money derived from taxation. I contribute to that tax - in fact, I was actively working to contribute towards that taxation at the time. You may as well ask why should someone provide you with a road to move your private property?

I paid for the parking and thankfully, some sane minds have seen the nub of the issue and hopefully, it will be resolved and fixed.

I suspect that the 3 hr limit is intended to prevent all-day parking by workers, reducing the spaces necessary for shoppers. It reads like you understood the terms and conditions of the car park when you parked there (3 hr limit), but don’t like the fact that when the t&cs were applied, you got fined.

Chalk it down to experience, and find somewhere new to park, the attendant now has you marked.

I wasn't aware of the 3-hour limit - I knew you could pay for parking for up to 3 hours at a time and the app offered the option to extend your parking session when the 3 hours were up. There is a sign, but it's in the corner and not very prominent as it's surrounded by trees. I genuinely didn't think they were issuing fines for not moving your car before the 3 hours expired. I know better now and in hindsight, I should have thought about it, but I was trying to get into work and it wasn't something I was thinking about - I was just making sure that my parking had been paid. I do feel that it's sharp practice to offer an extension when it's not permitted.

As I said, I had parked there before, and previously I would have gone out and bought a new ticket before my ticket ran out. Other staff members do the same - nobody thought they were issuing fines if you had paid for your parking, and they were very surprised to hear this. They work there day in, day out, and had never heard of this happening before. They knew the warden was very strict about having paid for your parking; there is a running joke that he would hide in the bushes with a stopwatch.

I understand the reasoning behind the 3-hour limit, but as I already stated, the car park is never full during weekdays. I cannot find another place to legally park, that's the problem. I will just have to park there and play musical car spaces to show that I have moved the car which is utterly moronic.

I was referring more to your general comment "but there is a middle ground for those who work locally and need somewhere to park" than to the specifics of this situation. People who work need all kinds of things and services, they need laptops and desks and chairs and office space. What is it about parking though that creates the expectation that someone else needs to provide this to you?

If your business needs parking, your business needs to make arrangements for parking, maybe even needs to pay someone to provide space for parking. It's not the Council's job to be running your business for you.

There were 3 separate applications for car parks in the last 5 years and all were rejected by planning (ie the council). We have no available space for a car park as the back of the building is inaccessible. We made contact with the council about having a day rate but heard nothing. We have approached other businesses such as a local hotel and pub but they weren't interested. Nobody is asking the council to do our jobs. People are bemoaning the fact that businesses are closing down in small towns - the council should be helping, not hindering.

People who are not using the app presumably pay at a machine and get a ticket. The time of issue is recorded on the ticket so there would be no need to photograph their cars as evidence of how long they stayed - they stayed from the time the ticket was issued to the time the warden gave them a penalty notice. So even if its true that they don't photograph the macine-paying cars, that wouldn't mean they were targetting the app-paying cars for penalties; it woiuld just mean they didn't need photographs of the machine-paying cars to provide evidence of how long they have been there.

• Advertisement

Does anyone actually believe the poster talked to the council and also got two councillors to jump on his bandwagon within 24 hours

I smell horse manure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭beachhead

3 hours max stay.You should have left for 30-60 then returned.Same can happen when parking in the same street for too long in some towns/cities

Not true if someone buys a ticket and then three hours later removes that ticket and replaces it with a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

Have you taken a photo of the obstructed sign? I would do that as a matter of urgency, this will support your case.

What time did you park the car as a matter of interest?

Is that why the photo's were taken? To show that you didn't move the car from that one space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Op I would challenge or appeal under the basis that the photos as provided by the warden have no actual proof of time on them?

State that after 3 hours you drove your car out of the carpark and then re-parked it in the exact car parking space. As long as you have paid for the extra 3 hours it will be difficult for that wanker to get his jobs worth out of you. I would also find out where that guttersnipe lives, don't do this btw.

I feel for you, you have been picked on by a complete wanker who has possibly observing you for weeks and decided to have a go. I could understand if you weren't paying your fee, but it is very petty otherwise.

Challenge the viability of their photographic evidence, they have to prove 100% that you parked there over 3 hours without moving. They won't be able to to do that... unless they were sad enough to video you for 3 hours. Is there CCTV at the entrance? If there is say you moved with the space, I doubt there is CCTV, there would only be one in a private car park, where they actually care about their customers enjoying a good park as opposed to leaching Co Council who are trying to suck you dry and are wasting state funds by employing an arsehole to extort you while you are paying anyways. Appeal those phuckers and get your hard earned back.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, how do you think a traffic warden proves a car was parked illegally, when they don’t take a photograph?

I agree with a lot of this, I think the OP was targeted. I agree that he should appeal it on the basis that the photo's can't show whether or not they moved for an hour and came back to the same spot and parked the same way - the only definitive proof that the OP overstayed is from the app, when they paid for another 3 hours parking after being parked there for 3 hours and if this wasn't on the T&C's of the app when the OP signed up, then that could be an issue.

Also, that the warden took the photo at 11am, a lucky strike? Or they knew what they were doing?

They took detailed photos before lunch and after lunch. They don't do this for all cars... other colleagues use the facility in the same manner, but use the ticket machine instead and never had an issue. Perhaps I was unfortunate and it was a spot check, it's odd that it happened the first time I used the app though.

Anyhow, I've appealed and 2 councillors have added their voice. I also spoke to the council who were very helpful. It's an externally manged car park and from looking online, the management company have a terrible reputation.

Anyhow, I asked to get this thread closed down as I got an answer to my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭raclle

Sad state of affairs when you can't ask for a small bit of advice without being attacked by passive aggressive users.

• Could speak to the warden if you’re parking while you work they might let you on if you pay the parking fee and the car parks not busy.

But from what I read here it’s a complete irrelevance if they took pics of your car and only yours or everyone’s.

its fair to say they prob took the necessary photos of all cars in breach of the parking rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ah in fairness now they have chosen to provide the space, the only question to my mind is whether the rules are fairly applied and whether by use of the app whether it should simply refuse renewals. In DCC, this is not possible as they use colour coded zones which are not contiguous as opposed to DOR which uses two digit codes which could preclude follow on hours.

You'll find that the rules are phrased to disallow the cute hoors who think that driving out and back in again gets around them. IIRC, the rules in DCC say something like 'cannot park in the same street/area in the following three hours' so it really doesn't matter where you drive in the interim. This isn't their first rodeo.

The wardens will generally record reg numbers on their phones, so faffing around with a new ticket gets you precisely nowhere. This isn't their first rodeo.

Jeez, sounds like you have some really incompetent developers there. Maybe you should start working with developers who know their way around planning and actually get things done. It sounds like the Council want to provide visitor parking, so they've obviously decided that day parking isn't appropriate on their space. Businesses will absolutely be closing down when there is no visitors able to visit the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Trampas

would that be a council device or personal phone. If personal should they be using it for work

I presume it's a Council device, with a particular app for noting registrations.

Oh I know that. The point was that it's not only app users who stay in the same space without moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is not a defence to a parking fine to say other people are getting away with it. John Waters went to jail after offering that efence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'd well believe it. Any councillor will jump on any hard luck story and promise to raise it at the next meeting if they think it might result in a vote at the next election.

OP, I think you're probably out of luck here. All indications are that you broke the three-hour rule, however unjustified or unfair that three-hour rule might appear.

Having said that, I roll my eyes when I see that good ole Andy is on his usual anti-motorist and anti-car hobby horse. "What makes you think somebody else should provide storage space for your personal property?", he asks. I dunno, Andy. But tell me - does this mean you're also opposed to Council houses being rented out to tenants, if Councils shouldn't have to provide storage space for people's property, and even for the people themselves????

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Just bin it OP. Pretend you never got it. There's no proof you received the fine. What if someone pulled the sticker off your window?

• Advertisement
Advertisement