Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

And barring any serious injuries, he'll likely break the Leinster all time try record too. He has 19 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

You commented on Lowe without mentioning his "big left boot". You'll never make it as a pundit with this appalling lack of clichés.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The move has obviously worked for him in a lot of levels. He has got international rugby. Also his career was supposed to have been cut short but going by this contract that didn’t happen. Not sure if that is game management or that it just didn’t advance as quickly as they thought but I’d say he’s very happy he moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bit surprised Lowe isn't on a central - feel he is one of those that would be nailed on to get one if he played for another province.

Given potential injury risk, form, and the impact of age on wingers it probably makes to avoid giving them out to that position but it hasn't stopped the IRFU doing it in the past (or likely again in the future).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Interesting that Lowe appears to be nailed on first choice for Ireland but does not get a central contract, especially since Stockdale has lost his and Earls won't be getting a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The IRFU need to be careful with who they give the central deals to in terms of building a very lopsided model. Lowe has become a key player for Ireland (particularly in terms of the territorial game as opposed to ball in hand) but there are only so many Leinster players that can or should be given central deals.

In terms of their importance to the Irish team, guys like Stockdale, Earls, Murray and Aki didn't really deserve them (none have been first choice consistently for quite some time) but they have to take into account the optics and financial burden of not supporting other provinces with these contracts.

I would imagine the IRFU have a number in mind in terms of the maximum number of central contracts any province should have and Leinster are probably close to that total now with 7. VDF is moving onto one for next season but Sexton is coming off one. Furlong, Henshaw, Porter and Ringrose are all finishing contracts in 2025 and there's a possibility that Furlong and Henshaw come off theirs depending on who else is available at that point and their own performances as they will both be 32 that year (Henshaw the more likely, I'd imagine).

The fly in the ointment is that guys like Aki (2024), Earls (now), Henderson (now), Stockdale (already moved to a provincial deal), POM (2024) and Murray (2024) are all either well on in their careers or their form has fallen off a cliff which makes it very hard to award a central deal. Perhaps they'll just reduce the number of contracts as I'm sure they're keen to avoid a scenario where Leinster are the only ones with them aside from Tadhg Beirne. I'd fully endorse Bealham getting one at the end of his current contract if he sustains his form.

I disagree on this.

They should either do away with the central contract model entirely, or just award them based on merit.

This business of just doling a few out to lesser deserving players doesn't seem right to me (not necessarily saying that's the case with all of those referenced).

From the player's perspective, it's probably much of a muchness given I imagine Lowe's Leinster contract is probably still for a sizable chunk of money, but there is something unusual from a prestige perspective in that some players are perceived to be of an elevated status because of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Maybe one for another thread but there clearly had to be a financial and optics element factored into the decision-making when it comes to central contracts.

Yeah, I agree.

I just think they're kind of a relic from a different era. Given there is a sizable element of IRFU paying for all of the contracts across all the provinces, there is no real point in categorising a few of them differently. Just pay the players what they're worth and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Excellent.

Now get Sheehan on that central deal and away from prying eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I still can't really figure out if it matters or not whether it's a provincial or IRFU deal. Is it just an accounting exercise?

Lions team for tomorrow.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As I understand it the key difference is that players on a central contract do not get individual "match fees" , they receive an annual sum equivalent to that amount.

So a regular player actually has to feature in the match day squads for each game to get that money, but a centrally contracted player gets that top up whether or not they are involved in the matches.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Their lineups always sound like they're from an unlicenced console game for some reason

A start for Prendergast right off the bat. It's great to see Tommy O'Brien back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's a decent team given the number of players left at home.

That's a good team - if the game was being played in Dublin I'd have Leinster as 10 point favourites, but think we can give this game a go down there.

4 Academy players starting, with another 5 on the bench.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

From the club's perspective, centrally contracted players have 100% of their salary covered by the IRFU, with provincial contracts it's only a portion of it. The IRFU have salary bands, one of which might be Senior Provinicial player, and they might say they'll pay €150k a year for players in this band. If someone like Rhys Ruddock was then on €200k a year, Leinster have to fork out that €50k from their own income.

With someone like Gary Ringrose, it doesn't matter if he's on €200k or €500k, Leinster don't have to pay a cent.

From the player's perspective, this is the difference.

Interesting points in that selection are both props - is this an indication that Milne is ahead of Ed Byrne or am I just reading too much into it, given Byrne is just back from injury?

Equally, the selection of Abdaladze ahead of Clarkson goes against the grain from earlier this season.

It's actually Vakh's first start I'm pretty sure?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no maxwane for the lions is good news.

i fancy leinster to sneak this actually

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And so begins the Era of Prendersexton

On OTB yesterday they were saying the opposite, that the IRFU central contract only covers a percentage of a player's salary

I never actually spotted Soroka on the bench. Hope to see him get some good game time over the next few weeks. I think he has some ability and could be a very good player in Ruddock mould.

I've high hopes for Culhane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Gerry Thornley made the (probably correct) suggestion in today's paper that Lowe turns 31 this summer, meaning he'll be 35 at the next RWC, and that's too old for a guy to be getting his first central deal, particularly in the back three.

In a practical sense, the only real difference is guys on central contracts get called up to all training camps. Everything else is an accounting construct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Didn't Lowe miss all of the Autumn Internationals? Did he miss anything during the 6 Nations, or against the All Blacks? I can't remember off the top of my head.

He has a condition that he manages, something like arthritis, and I would imagine that the IRFU would not be willing to bet on him being available for every test match. His condition could worsen at any time and he would not be available at all then, maybe that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think Milne has jumped ahead of Byrne for the moment. Byrne is still a good scrummager and an international. But Milne has come into his own around the park now which was always a point of difference.

God help either of the lads going against their TH though. Man is a mountain

Yeah, he's been really destructive this year (the Lions THP).

I agree on Milne - think he better fits the idea of what we want in a prop with his mobility, handing, dynamism.

Hard to think of a more exciting or eagerly anticipated debut than Prendergast for me. You'd forget this guy just turned 20. He's so young to be stepping up here. Trying to manage my own expectations for him. Hoping he just looks as composed as he did for the U20s, and isn't afraid to try things. He's inevitably going to make mistakes but this should be the ideal place to cut his teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yeah. As young as that squad is, that's nearly the perfect backrow to take care of a young 10.

This will be a tough game but I'm sure he can get a moderately good platform from it to do some good stuff. But we don't need him to set the world alight. Making a debut at altitude away in South Africa is the stuff nightmares are made of. I hope he just does the basics well

• Advertisement

No way, at altitude he'd better be kicking 50-22s from behind his own goal line!

Advertisement