Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The one where he'd clearly spent ages standing in front of a mirror practicing the guys name and still ended up sounding like a stroke victim while saying it??

"Aaaa-booooo BA KAR AL Bagdaddddhi"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

More ranting from Grandpa Simpson.

The last bit reminded me of this....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He managed to fix the caps lock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yurt2 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I've asked this before but never got an answer. This is to his supporters, fans, whatabouts and people who SAY they don't support him. It is not even really a partisan question:

Trump will eventually pass as will everyone. (50 years from now. Almost everyone on this thread will be dead.... just sayin 😀) Traditionally the current and past presidents and their partners attend funeral. If Trump died tomorrow, what would be the expectation?

Should the Obamas, the Clintons, The Bushes, the Bidens attend?

Would it be an insult/electioneering if they attend or an insult/electioneering if they dont attend?. Again, it's not wishing harm or anything and it's actually just a question cos it got a bit heated lately. 😀. Just curious as to thoughts.

I'd just assumed he'd get a redneck viking funeral surrounded by, tens maybe, of florida yachts waving MAGA 2032 flags just off the shore of the resort there. After the ceremonial removing of the house arrest ankle bracelet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

When he's convicted, it will be an easy decision not to go. Brought disgrace to the office.

Then I don't qualify to answer as I'm not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Who is keeping the list of crimes? Might be one to add to the list. (Wire fraud, fund raising from false election claims) https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/04/12/trump-fundraising-fraud-special-counsel/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Trump was deposed for the 2nd time today, Thursday 13 April 2023, by the office of NY Attorney General Letitia James as pertains to a $250 million civil lawsuit for alleged business fraud by Trump that allegedly allowed him to rake in millions in Illegal gains.

The first time deposed Trump took the 5th over 400 times. Will he beat his record?

What did Trump say awhile back about defendants that took the 5th? “The mob takes the 5th.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A warm, NYC welcome for TFG when he came to give his 7 hour deposition.

"If you can make there, you can make it anywhere." Or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All living Former Presidents went to Nixons funeral as a reference.

Gerald Ford , Carter , Reagan , Bush Senior and Clinton (the sitting President at the time) were all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭briany

You know it's bad when you make Nixon look decent and upstanding by comparison. At least when Nixon was caught dicking around, he went with a relative minimum of fuss. He had a bit of decorum and respect for the institution. Trump just does not give a bollócks about anything. There's no limit to how muddy and base he'll get if he thinks it will help him in any way.

Whilst Nixon was a very odd man indeed with an extremely weird viewpoint for a whole lot of things, there was at least at his core a genuine attempt at doing things he thought best for the Country - He was very very wrong about those things and even more wrong in how he went about them , but he was doing them for reasons other than personal aggrandisement.

Trump ONLY cares about himself and every single thing he does in every waking moment is solely focussed on making him feel better about himself.

He couldn't give a damn about anyone or anything else.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

All very true. Though I think that Nixon was basically ready to do the same, when the Senate Republican leadership met with him to let him know that they wouldn't be backing him. The House was getting the article(s) of impeachment ready for a vote, and they were convinced that it would pass. And they let Nixon know that when it came to the Senate he would be convicted. So while Trump is certainly even worse than Nixon was, the current crop of Republicans as a whole are also worse than their counterparts from the 1970s too. No matter how bad Trump gets, they continue to back him.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean (And was actually the example I was thinking of. That and George HW Bush). Politics are put aside. People who would ideologically be polar opposites shelve their differences and parties are civil to eachother. They shake hands, murmur some inoffensive platitudes to eachother, stand side-by-side and look solemn.

But here's the thing: What would MTG or Broebert (Or whatever her name is) or any of the other MAGA loons say about Obamas, Clintons, Bidens, Bushs turning up? Because it WILL happen eventually. Maybe all of them won't even be alive by then but some will be and other, maybe future presidents will be there.

Personally I believe they would shriek about "How dare they disrespect him? (Probably with a capital "H"). How DARE they play politics at a funeral?" And if they DIDN'T turn up (Assuming there would be shrieks), there will be shrieks about "How DARE they disrespect him/Him by NOT turning up?". Fox "news" will decry the lack of respect either way also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭briany

I've been blue in the face saying it, but the Republican party cannot quit Trump until enough of the voter base turns on him, which hasn't happened yet. We thought it was about to happen back in November when Trump's surrogates crashed and burned and Ron DeSantis seemed to shoot up in the polls. Now, Trump's numbers have rebounded, and all the right-wing American news media who were fixing to cut Trump loose have to essentially pretend they still back him.

The difference between the 70s and now is that you now have people in completely separate lived realities, thanks to the information bubbles which thrive on social media, whereas back in the 70s, people were pretty much consuming the same mass media. For better or worse, enough people were on the same page that common rules could be agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

On that point, I was listening to a podcast on the Dominion court case.

The problem will be that as 20% of the population believe the election was stolen, despite it being absolutely untrue, when it comes to jury selection, how can you ensure that you'll get someone who will listen to reason?

Because it's in New York and that's what voir dire is for.

Nothing guaranteed , but you can assume that the worst loons will be filtered out.

It's even worse for the GOP.

Since the indictment , Trumps numbers have increased among the GOP base , but have cratered outside that bubble.

So, it's the worst possible scenario for them - It's making it more likley that he'll win a primary while at the same time increasing the chance that not only will he lose the General Election , but he'll probably cost them the House and Senate as well.

And there's absolutely nothing they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

I saw a report last night that Gen Z voted 77% Democrats, 21% Republicans (I assume the other 2% was independent) in the midterms.

The ratio for millennials was not as big but still favoured the Dems.

The other thing to note is that the baby boomers are the ones that favour Republicans. Still, the Gen Z and Millenial vote combined is larger than the baby boomer vote and likely to only get bigger with all the shenanigans going on with Republican states.

This is apparently from PEW research.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Democrats are extremely triggered by Ron to the point they are launching misinformation smear campaigns and getting huge backlash for it (read their own comment section) . They furiously hate that Florida is booming while walmarts and wholefoods are going out of business in their own cities due to rampant crime. If democrats are so confident in defeating Trump and the likes of Santis than why the need for such political hit jobs and misinformation campaigns.

Two words:

Florida

Man

But seriously. You think the Democrats are the only ones running smear campaigns? trump is running smear campaigns... Against DeSantis. They are eating eachother alive. and you have to admit, trump's splitting of the vote is hurting the GOP. It is splitting the Republican Party into the GOP and the GQP. The majority of the Republican Party still believe that 2020 election was stolen for God's sake. There are people posting on this thread that believe that Jan 6 consisted of tourists getting guided tours! These (proven) lies are being propagated by trump mouthpieces. The GOP knows these are lies but has refused to do anything about it.

So people are not "triggered" by DeSantis' "booming" economy. They do not like his policies.

Personally, I do not like the fact that my best friend is not welcome in Florida because he is gay. That a family member of mine is not welcome because she had to have an abortion 20 years ago to save her life. That I am not welcome because I support them. That I am not welcome because I am atheist and don't believe in "creation theory"

This is not me being "triggered" this is a real person stating why they feel that they are not welcome in what was once a nation that prided itself on its much vaunted "freedom" and moral highground. Do you consider my concerns about not being welcome to the US "triggers"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Advertisement

Well it was not nice knowing you Ron, the absolute donkey

In recent campaign statements he said he thinks he’s quashed democrats in florida, I think he has no clue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement