Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some explanation of why a 21 year old reserve in Massachusetts,had access to highly classified information, about ukraine and allied nations,

It makes zero sense

Over a million people in the USA have "top secret" clearance (and access to said documents).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭jmreire

There have been several protests in both Moscow and St. Petersburg over time ( especially at the start of the war) involving in some cases thousands of protesters on the streets. Yet they all fizzled out because Putin cracked down hard on them. There's a specific branch of the Police/Military numbering 420'000 troops 100% dedicated to one thing and one thing only, and that is quelling civil unrest anywhere in Russia. Their boss is Putin and they take their orders from him. So in fact while they are paid for by the state, they are realistically Putin's private army, and sworn to defend him.

So now, after tremendous loss of life and equipment, they're discovering that taking the area's they currently hold, and actually holding them are two completely different things, and they will continue to pay massively for Bakhmut.

Does not ring true. even if he was attached to the intelligence section of the National Guard Air Corp. These positions always require security clearances at the different levels, the more senior the position, the higher the clearance. So how was there supposedly high and damaging information available at his level???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There's no 'rank' or 'age' requirement for a clearance. I have junior enlisted soldiers with better clearances than I have, because their job requires it and mine does not. A TS investigation costs the better part of $10,000, and has to be renewed every five years. I had a TS when I needed it, I lost it when I didn't.

For all I know, he was the chap tasked with running the powerpoint briefing setup (computer, projector, microphone, whatever) for senior leadership. It's not a task normally assigned to people of rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

They were probably missled by the missles.

So many missles it's unbelievable.

So, effectively nothing top secret held by the US can be considered secure? That’s a terrible vista. Presumably certain things are more ‘too secret’ than others. For example I presume Biden’s exact movements or nuclear launch codes aren’t known by someone setting up a power point presentation.

But, it’s the US’s allies that have the most to fear. Serbia must be thinking WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ah yes, something along the lines of "trust the plan patriots. Liberation in 2 more weeks"

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

you get clearance with regards to the information you will handle or be exposed to, regardless of age...

I'm aware of people who work within the UK government doing similar, on site IT support, who have to go through DV clearance (UK version of Top Secret) just to do that, as they for example, could fix a printer and it spools off the queued jobs in their presence, which contain classified info.

These are all guys in their 20's too, as it's still a lower level IT position, you do usually get a clearance bonus though.

Although the American setup does seem a little loose and fast compared to the UK, which is quite intrusive from what I have been told at DV level upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

21 and you are likely to spend the next two decades in prison… what a waste of a life for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Ah, but he looked really cool in front of his 12 yo Minecraft mates for a while. Not, I suspect, dealing with a major intellect here.

I had to sign the Official Secrets act when I was in the RAF, and it was made very clear how serious the penalties were for breaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, no, but I think everyone is well aware of your "schtick" at this point. If that's what you picked up, then you haven't been keeping up on the events and haven't been reading the thread, so any future posts you make won't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

The Ukrainians put explosives in buildings they abandon and when the Russians go in they detonate them remotely.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That is a terrible vista if it's true? And that's where I pause to ponder. It would imply that states all around the world whether friendly, neutral or hostile to the USA would have a good handle on their military & diplomatic intelligence. Is that credible?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Historical footage of the launch of the two Ukrainian made Neptune anti ship missiles that sunk the Moskva.

(That link contains another to an in depth article about the sinking thet is well worth a read.)

Had Ukraine not had these up it's sleeve, I think the course of the war could have been very different, with possibly a naval assault on Odesa. These have kept the Orc fleet well away, thankfully.

Sure they do, and for good measure booby trap the hell out of them as well. The thing is that now any Russian controlled area is a free-fire zone, and the UA can bomb the hell out of it, no need to watch out for Ukrainian presence. For the Russian survivors of the assaults on Bakhmut to take it, their real hell is about to commence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Why would the Ukrainians stay in Bakhmut if they were losing so badly? They are not stupid.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Shame the west can't help Ukraine mass produce these. Hard to believe there was a slight chance that there was going to be a mass amphibious assault on Odessa.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Russia have made Bakhmut their top priority and because they are pushing so hard, Ukraine in turn have made it their priority to hold. Both sides have clearly been willing to commit a lot of resources to the city, so it's become symbolic. Zelensky himself said a few weeks ago that losing Bakhmut would demoralize Ukrainians and give Putin a victory to the world.

I think it's clear that this is a highly attritional battle. Not much territory is being exchanged, but both sides claiming the other has taken excess casualties. At some point this battle will come to an end, the real question is what happens then. Will Russia have the ability to secure the rest of Donetsk? Will Ukraine have enough in the tank for their counter attack to succeed?

Personally I am sceptical of either side producing a knock-out blow anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Another ship the Ukrainians put out of commission was an amphibious landing ship, so they did make efforts to prevent the scenario, which was very real.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There's an old saying that as soon as you tell someone a secret, it's not secret any more.

Having a level of clearance doesn't mean you have access to all the information classified at that level. It's not like you can walk from a "secret" computer network which has access to all the "secret" things in a big database and then if you have a TS clearance, walk over to a "Top secret" computer and access another big database with all the TS things. You still need to be given access to things. That's where the old problem of 'usefulness' vs 'security' comes in. Information which is too closely held is useless, and it's always a bit of a call as to who needs to have access to certain information. Someone decided that this information needed a wider audience. It's not like it was the nuclear code or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Here's looking at you, Kid...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nearly every public security breach in the west in the last decade has come from US own goals. Assange, Snowden, this lad. Your lot are doing something wrong that your allies and enemies are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

It was suggested that the revelation of Ukrainian supply tunnels to the rear (along with the sudden change in weather) disincentivised the encirclement attempt but I think Wagners could have been near culmination at that point anyway as they were attacking a front of 90 km in length.

All of the above no doubt played a role but the fact is Wagners are no longer noted to be predominantly present on the flanks around Bakhmut and in the last week more and more conventional Russian and special forces are being noted to be taking part in many of the assaults within the city.

In terms of attrition I don't think we'll hear as much out of Wagner after the battle for Bakhmut concludes. So, why did Ukraine continue to hold the city? I think it's starting to become evident.

But after Bakhmut as Francie says, can Ukraine then punch back? There will certainly be a counter offensive I believe, and they will try it at some point in 2023 . But they have to be seen to be successful so are understandably waiting until as close to perfect conditions as far as they see them. I remember how Ukraine were always "only 15 miles from Kherson airport" for what turned out to be months and the level of impatience that was being voiced at a perceived lack of progress. They want to be sure they are going to inflict sufficient damage or make gains to justify the swing in losses that occur when moving from a defensive posture to an offensive one. Can only imagine the amount of planning and scenarios being worked out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement