Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

April 3rd - April 10th (Week 14 of 2023)

How are we 1/4 of the way through the year already 🤔

Monday: Usual easy with some strides thrown in, 2 sets of 6 * 30s.

Tuesday: Very easy 50mins or so.

Wednesday: Mona Fartlek. 2 * 90s @ 7:06, 7:02, 4 * 1' @ 7:07, 6:45, 6:55, 6:50, 4 * 30s @ 6:47, 6:33, 6:32, 6:39, 4 * 15s. All off equal recoveries.

I enjoyed this one and will probably do it again, it's a handy enough little session, just 10mins of hard running. The 4 * 15s were a bit annoying as the recovery was so short, it would be easier to run 1' hard than trying to gear up and down so sharply. I tried to run the recoveries at a floating pace rather than recovery but I sort of forgot this element as the session went on - something to improve on next time.

Thursday/Friday: No running

Saturday: 5k easy/warm-up + Narin Beach parkrun @ steady-threshold effort + very short cool down

This felt like everyone took off awfully fast, within 200m I felt like I was back of the pack as they all flew by me, to be honest I felt a bit overwhelmed just focussing on trying to lift my feet off the sand. I passed a good few on the way back, last 2 km, and in the end I finished 21/55 so obviously not everyone went past me but it certainly felt like it at the start. I couldn't believe the size of the crowd to be honest, definitely not the easiest parkrun and quite remote too. The volunteers were very nice, one lady in particular was spotting all the out of towners and making it her business to chat to them.

Sunday: 45mins easy - if you could call it easy going up all the hills!

25 miles in total

I've kind of lost my mojo a little bit, well I'm not sure if it's mojo really, I'm quite happy to get out and run but only up to a point! I have no appetite for pushing myself to do runs that don't take my fancy on a given day - I'd be a coaches nightmare at the moment!! I enjoyed the mona fartlek but probably should be trying to do closer to 20-25 mins of CV/5k effort but really happy with the short and sweet approach, hence the overall drop in volume also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hope you enjoyed Narin and the big holiday crowd! You're right, the volunteers are great - they have a small team but as you saw they can manage with two or three.

Love the look of that Mona fartlek (who was Mona anyway?) Will file it away for future sessions.

Keep getting out, the mojo will sort itself out.

Apparently Steve Moneghetti! It popped up on my daily feed last week, I didn't quite manage the "float/recoveries" very well but it's definitely one I'll include again - Workout of the Week: The Mona Fartlek - the morning shakeout

Narin was fab. We had a lovely few days, quite therapeutic up there. It reminded me a lot of the Achill of my childhood - before it became a tourist hotspot. And yes I get the irony of that as I was a tourist in Narin but it is nice to go somewhere that is a little less popular but still with all the ingredients of a tourist hotspot - cake, cherry anyone 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

If you are looking for something different to keep a bit of interest you could try the Gregson fartlek. Warm up and cool down as usual. 10 mins tempo, 5*1min 3/5k pace/1 min tempo and then straight into 10 mins threshold. It's a nice 30 minute workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I think everyone goes through different stages with their running & that's perfectly ok! Keep doing what you enjoy🤗

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done. That seems like quite a varied week of running. No harm in taking this time to try out some new things running wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I'm a big fan of the mona myself. It's my go to session inbetween 2 races that fall close together. As you say it's only 10 mins of pace but you know you have done a session afterwards. For the 15 seconds reps I tend just decelerate a bit as a float rather than starting from any recovery pace.

Another one to add to above mention is the Moose fartlek. 5(3min with 1 off 1 min with 1 off). That is 20 min pace work.

Thanks ladies. It's funny that we need reminding of these things! I do anyhow. I see people doing amazing stuff and I beat myself up because I'm not but this is a hobby at the end of the day and not a mortgage paying career 😂

I enjoyed the Gregson fartlek this week @skyblue46 and I have Moose programmed on my watch so maybe that will be this week's bit of spice!

Thanks all ☺️

April 10th - April 16th (Week 15 of 2023)

Monday: 45mins easy run, still in Donegal on a mini break so lots of hills and wind meant this didn't feel very easy really

Tuesday: Back home. Nice evening. Easy + strides.

Wednesday: Gregson Fartlek as shared by @skyblue46 - a deceptively tough little run, only 30mins but it's full on as there's no real recovery in it. This is one I'll definitely come back to.

10min tempo @ 7:56 (a little fast, Tinman gives me 8:02-8:15)

5 * 1' hard, 1' tempo.

1' hard @ 7:10, 7:01, 7:02, 7:11, 7:03

1' tempo @ 8:15, 8:22, 8:04, 8:27, 8:21 (struggled with these, so used to jog recoveries)

10' threshold @ 7:43 (bang on, Tinman gives me 7:40-7:51)

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Parkrun @ threshold, did this off pace rather than the usual HR as I wanted to practise pacing myself off pace for a change. My aim was 7:40-7:51 and I ran a very pleasing even pace (7:40, 7:39, 7:32), only a tad faster than prescribed! My HR was bang on also, it crept towards the top end of the range by the finish but didn't go above it.

Sunday: Squeezed in a run in the afternoon around 2 of the kids matches, one morning and one evening. Dragged the child who didn't have a match with me on his bike (he doesn't really do sports at all so I'm always trying to encourage him out and moving). It was hot and I was a bit distracted with him on the bike, kept trying to slow down but found myself picking up the pace again without realising it - not really what I needed after a relatively heavy week. Only 7.5miles but along with lots of standing at the side of pitches and a decent walk later in the evening I had very tired legs going to bed - had me wondering how I ever managed marathon training and those long long runs, definitely no appetite for them at this stage in my life, maybe again when the kids are grown. Happy with this week, a step back up from last week.

32 miles for the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Gregson, Moose and Mona... Thanks for highlighting those. I might give one or two of them a try in the next while.

April 17th - April 23rd (Week 16 of 2023)

Very low key easy kind of week, I didn't have much energy, too much going on elsewhere.

Monday: Easy run, 50mins @ 9:45

Tuesday: Very easy, 55mins @ 10:30

Wed/Thurs: Nothing

Fri: Easy + Strides

Sat: Easy-Mod run, 1hr @ 9:20

Sun: Easy with 6 * 1min 5k pace/1min tempo pace

27 miles for the week

The goal this year to tick off PBs at 5k & 10k. My last 5k race was June 2019 and a PB of 22:42. At the time I thought I'd be chasing 22 mins within the year but we all know what came next and as opportunities dwindled over the years since and the focus being elsewhere I've become less confident of it happening. When I saw the 5k series come up this year I thought it would be the perfect chance to go after that goal - dream big!

5k Race #1

I treated this first leg very much as a tune up race to get the feel for 5k again but I still felt quietly confident of a small PB. Tinman gives me 22:25 based on my 10k time from February. 

I felt quite calm in the run up to this. Arrived a small bit later than I'd have liked, collected the number, used the facilities, short warm-up. While queueing for the facilities I chatted to a lady who informed me it was a nice course with just one hill at 4km and a nice downhill finish. Nice enough evening, cold standing around but dry and not much wind. The start was delayed by over 10 mins and I got pretty cold waiting around. The ole raynauds kicked in which lately has progressed to effecting my toes as well as my fingers so I was really feeling that during the waiting around period, I tried to keep moving on the spot but it's not the same. 

Eventually we were off. I had converted my watch to km and loosely had 4:25-4:30 in my head as target pace. The first km was all downhill - happy days! Unfortunately it was very congested and I had started too far back so I had a bit of manoeuvring to do. I nearly got mowed to the ground when the road narrowed without a warning due to cars parked on one side. In hindsight I'm not sure if the congestion and slow start was a good thing or a bad thing, it certainly forced me to control my pace and not take off like a lunatic. I noticed my watched beeped consistently about 20-30m before each of the km markers and I wondered if it just normal GPS variance or had I run a bit extra in the opening km while going around peeps. Anyways, the first 3km ticked by awful fast, I was feeling very comfortable especially once I got past the congestion after about 1200m. It seemed to be all downhill and the target pace was grand - 4:24, 4:28, 4:24. 

Around 3k it started to get a bit harder, this was when I could finally feel my fingers again too. My breathing changed, it definitely got heavier but people still seemed to be coming back to me, the odd hill/drag appeared but I felt reasonably strong on them trying to focus on not slowing too much and with that 4:30 pace still in my sights the 4th km ticked in at 4:31. Delighted with that at the time as usually the 3rd/4th kms are when I fall apart. I had been psyching myself up for the hill in the last km but honestly when it came I still felt reasonably strong although I was overtaken by a SGAC runner here. Not long over the crest of the hill and I passed SGAC back again with a shout encouraging her to stick with me to which she grunted that she couldn't, I told her of course she could but she didn't come with me, I didn't take it personally! The 5th km clicked at 4:35 and then nearly 8 extra seconds for the extra 25 odd metres which was indeed a nice downhill finish. 

Gun time 22:42, Chip time 22:31. 

Over the line and over to the side where I spent a minute or two catching my breath. I was initially a bit disappointed with this. I felt i hadn't really put myself on the line. I was working hard in the last km or two but I was still upright catching my breathe at the end and notably I didn't have to engage the usual self talk and mind games that goes on in a 5k. But I got over it the following day, in fairness a PB is a good result and it's a race experience with learnings chalked up. Onward we go.  

5k Race #2

I'll keep this one a bit briefer! Chatting to a few after last week's race I got the impression this one was a toughie. Got off to a bad start and arrived quite late - actually just couldn't find the start, it was a bit random in the middle of a housing estate with no base/clubhouse as such, those who hadn't collected their race numbers last week were queuing up to get them from the boot of a car. Anyhow, made the start after a very short warm-up but actually didn't feel as cold starting off as last week as there was a lot less waiting around as this started on time. Made sure to start in a better position and I got this bang on this week. Like last week the first 3 km ticked by fairly quickly (4:28, 4:19, 4:33), the difference being this week my watch beeped bang on each of the km signs. The climbing which had started at 2.5km seemed to just go on and on and the 4th km was when it all unravelled, the continuous gradual climbing caught up with me, 5:03 for the this km. Got back on track with a nice downhill for the last 800m giving me a fast 4:18 5th km and a 22:41 finish time. I recovered for my warm-down fairly quickly, I walked for a minute or two and then picked up the feet into a gentle jog. 

Overall so far I feel I can get closer to 22mins but not as confident I can dip under it as I may have been a few weeks ago. 30-40 seconds is a lot of ground in a 5k but I'll keep trying to chip away at it all the same, hopefully a more favourable course awaits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great racing! And a PB is always a good thing :) Hopefully with the bit of 5k practice you get down to that 22 min mark (and beyond)..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats on the PB and a couple of really strong races. Definite scope for improvement there from the first one with the less than ideal waiting around and early congestion. That climb from halfway on the second race looks rough, so overall that time should be pleasing. Nice consistency between the two races, so I'd be hopeful there is a nice chunk to come when course and conditions line up reasonably in your favour.

Quick update. I'm trying to sort out a couple of niggles at the moment so not a lot of running going on.

I've had what I thought was a slightly sore hamstring for a good while now that I was successfully ignoring however I think the few faster sessions & 5k races I've done recently exacberated it. I saw a physio about 6 weeks, as the knee on that leg started to niggle as well. He said it was a very mild adductor strain and a slight case of runners knee (patellofemoral syndrom), he wasn't overly concerned about either. He told me I could carry on running and continue my gym work and he gave me more specific exercises to do, a mix of stretch & hamstring strength work. I've been back twice since then and he's progressed the exercises and is generally happy that the strength has increased each time. Towards the end of a run last Thurs my calf on the other leg seized up and I had to hobble back to the car. The calf is still feeling a bit tight although the initial spasm hasn't returned thankfully. However I can feel both the hamstring/adductor and now the calf just in day to day activities and generally since the calf seizing up last week I'm feeling less inclined to run. I'm not back to the physio for another 2 weeks so I'll continue with the exercises which are actually hard enough and I might try an easy run in a few days. In fairness over the years I've been lucky to avoid much in the way of injuries/lay offs so I'm trying to reassure myself that this isn't the end of the world and others have come back from worse.

Sorry to hear this, E, hang in there. You've always had a good approach and sensible attitude so stick to your instincts and I'm sure you'll be out the other end before too long.

Surprised to find I'm still on the 1st page.

Working on those niggles since. Over the past 2-3 week's the Physio has been pushing me to up the pace on my runs culminating in a fairly hard parkrun on Saturday (felt even harder than the time of 23:40 reflected 😏) to see how it would hold up and thankfully it has held up very well so I am hoping to build some consistency from here. The plan is do a HM in 14 weeks time so it'd be really great get a decent block in and finish the year out strong. Also planning to log a bit to keep me honest. That's the intention anyhow. I've been really enjoying getting in the mornings for the past few weeks since secondary school finished up and primary school is nearly finished now too so it should get easier again. It's been fairly cool at that time and it means in the evening i'm free for kids' matches, BBQs and so on so it's a win-win.

I spent June doing predominantly easy interval method based training and my intention is to stick to that approach for the rest of the year. There are plans in the book for different distances but I haven't fallen into a specific plan yet, I'm just using it as an approach. The main bread and butter aerobic base run is 1k easy intervals repeats with long slow recoveries, for now I have converted these into 4min reps which is closer to 800m at my easy interval pace (effort) but over time I will extend these to 5min/1km. I've also converted the 200m and 400m reps to time - 50s & 1:40 - I'll convert these to distance soon enough too - this was more to do with being able to plan the duration of my runs when squeezed for time etc.

The most recent 2 weeks were all holiday runs which I totally thrived on. I found myself waking naturallyy every morning so got out and got a run done and was back at base armed with lovely freshly baked produce before the rest of the family even noticed my absence. I enjoy running new routes and new terrain though I don't have a great sense of direction so I am a little nervous with exploring and tend to stick to safe enough out and back routes. Paces were all over the place for most of these runs, I was running significantly more elevation than I am used too, also different terraine sometimes sandy and also eating and drinking were out of the usual which I imagine impacted on my HR.

July 3rd - 9th

Mon: 6 * 4' reps @ 5:11, 5:10, 5:09, 5:25, 5:14, 5:36

Tues: 6 * 4' reps @ 5:15, 4:54, 5:17, 5:14, 5:37, 5:23

Thurs: 6 * 4' reps @ 5:11, 4:55, 5:17, 5:22, 5:14, 5:02

Fri: 12 * 50s @ 4:48, :33, :41, :12, :09, :08, :19, :34, :11, :22, :10, :41

Sun: Easy 10k with surges - felt awful for this and cut it short around 8km

Week: 46.7km/29miles

July 10th - 16th

Mon: 6 * 4' reps @ 5:38, 5:14, 4:53, 5:03, 5:11, 5:10

Wed: 14km Easy/Mod with 1min surges every KM - complete opposite to previous Sunday, I felt amazing on this run and could have run on!

Thurs: 6 * 4' reps @ 5:09, 4:44, 4:59, 5:01, 5:08, 5:07

Fri: 7k recovery run @ 6:15min/km

Week: 43.8km/27.2m

Was hoping to get one more run in at the weekend but a long journey home and then family visiting put paid to it. The bar is set at 4 runs per week though for now, if i get 5 it's a bonus - ideally I'd like to be getting 9 in a fortnight, hopefully achieveable for the rest of the Summer, along with the strength - which is going to be torture this week after a 3 week hiatus, I can feel the DOMS already 🙄🤪

Plan to update more regularly going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I must buy that book, the method seems to be working well for Lainey too and it certainly looks interesting versus lots of runs at one particular pace. Are the interval paces all 5k? Look forward to following your progress!

• Advertisement

Ah no the paces aren't 5k at all. The shorter reps like 200m are 1500m-3k pace alright and the 400m reps are 5k pace but you'd only be doing those once per week at most and the recoveries are very generous. The 1k reps which are the bread and butter are done at 92-95% of LTHR, which means you are well below threshold all the time, significantly slower than 5k pace and long very slow recoveries between reps too with 10 seconds walking each end of the recovery also (though i tend to forget to do the 2nd walk bit).

You should definitely try it. I've been dabbling with it since late last year, I just haven't been very consistent so I'm determined now to stick to it for the rest of this year and give it a proper chance to work. I think it's very promising for base/aerobic training anyways. I'm not quite convinced about race specificity (yet), not really a concern for me at the moment even though I plan to throw in a few races in the Autumn but they will be off base fitness.

July 17th - 23rd

Monday: An am run again, enjoy getting out before work now.

6 * 4' EIM reps @ 4:57, 4:47, 5:05, 4:53, 5:06, 5:10 - I use HR for these, happy with them, felt strong.

Tuesyday: Rest

Wed: 15 * 200s ranging between 50 & 53 seconds. I don't remember much about this.

Thurs: My only PM run this week. Drove a bit further to do my run away from the local park/river walk, I don't like running here in the evening during the Summer because of all the teenagers hanging out, I like it less now because I know all the teenagers and feel a bit uncomfortable, probably silly really. The route was a loop with quite a steep hill so I expected the reps to be pretty inconsistent but they weren't really, they just got progressively slower. I'd eaten too close to this - I do my morning runs on empty so felt very strange & quite uncomfortable running on a full stomach.

4 * 1k EIM reps @ 4:56, 5:07, 5:09, 5:10

Friday: Car service time so a different location again which was nice. P*ssing rain and legs a little tired so really tried to keep this proper easy using HR as a guide without being a slave to it.

12 * 1k easy, 50sec surge - 15.4KM @ 5:59min/km avg, 143bpm avg HR.

Sat: 30mins very easy incl 5 * 100m strides, 4.55km @ 6:36min/m avg, 137bpm avg HR. Before a lovely night away catching up with school friends, and consistently referring to things that happened 30 odd yrs ago as 20 yrs ago in our reminiscing... don't know where the years went.

Sun: Rest and a dip to clear the head! Very proud of myself for getting in in skins, water was actually lovely but getting in was mad, my heart was really thumping, had to really focus on the breathing to calm myself, the waves were quite big too which added to the fear a bit. Such respect for regular sea swimmers but also can really feel how therpeutic it is.

Week: 49km/31 miles for the week.

Happy with the week and building a nice bit of consistency albeit at low enough volume.

Post edited by ariana` on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Fair play getting in for a dip, You are lucky if you can get me to walk into the sea on holidays never mind here & even then it would only be to my knee! I have a huge fear of the sea & just how unpredictable it can be, I love the idea of the benefits of sea swimming(or dipping in my case) but unfortunately it will never be for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fascinatingbeauty

Impressive training week! Consistent efforts and progress with a total of 49km/31 miles covered. Well done!

I was in France for 2 weeks and didn't get into the sea either! I was in Portugal last year for a weekend with the same sea swimming friends as last weekend and I got in every day over there too so it is definitely their influence on me!! I don't think it's any harm to have some fear of the sea, you are right it is unpredictable - I'm that mum who makes her kids wear life jackets playing in the sea on holidays 😅 I grew up near the sea and I was lucky enough to get a few sea swimming lessons as a teenager but I still wouldn't be at all confident, every year I threaten to do a beach to buoy course that Swim Ireland run but it's a bit out of the way for me now where I'm living so it would be a full evening comittement. The panic getting in the other day was unreal, conquering that panic was so empowering though, I am still buzzing a little bit 😂

Thanks 😊

July 24th - 30th

Monday: EIM 10 * 400 or 1:45 in this case. Thought I had set this to 400m but clearly I hadn't, don't remember much about this, the route has some rolling hills which I blame for the inconsistent paces 😉

Paces were 4:42, :39, :39, :49, :39, :38, :41, :38, :37, :50

Tuesday: Very easy 55mins @ 6:26min/km

Wed: Nothing - migraine for most of the day 😥

Thurs: Planned to do EIM 1K reps but was feeling the hangover from the migraine so kept this very easy 65mins @ 6:31

Fri: EIM 5 * 1k reps @ 5:08, 4:55, 4:58, 5:01, 5:06

Sat: Tempo parkrun, 5k @ 4:59min/k

Sun: Mostly just sat in front of the TV watching the Nats.

Week: 30miles/48km

July 31st - Aug 6th

Mon: EIM 15 * 200s (49-51seconds) early before work, I can't remember much about this.

Tues: 5k recovery run @ 6:37min/k - was a bit tired and hot, didn't really enjoy.

Wed: 4 * 1k @ 5:19, 5:10: 5:07, 5:08 - another morning run, purposefully tried to keep these very easy.

Thurs: Rest

Fri: more EIM, 1 * 2k @ 5:15, 5 * 1k @ 5:07, 5:05, 5:05, 5:02, 5:08

Covered 9m in this run which constitutes a long run for me these days! Good to get it done early.

Sat: Rest

Sun: Easy with 5 * 100m

Week: 29m/48km

August 7th - 13th

Monday: Started this week with a lovely bank holiday monday run in the PP with the company of a very good friend and former fellow DCM novice. We did a 10k lap of the park and followed it up with a very long lingering breakfast sitting outside. Lovely morning passed. 10k easy @ 6min/k

Tuesday: Home again and back to the morning runs, 10 * 400m EIM. 400s were a bit all over the shop as usual with the rolling route, averaged 1:50.

Wednesday: 5 * 1k EIM @ 5:10, 5:06, 5:00, 5:05, 5:08

Thurs: Off

Friday: Easy with 5 * 100m strides, 6.6k @ 6min/m

Saturday: I was contemplating doing a hard parkrun as a bit of a fitness test but decided I'd see what time I woke up at as sleep has been very poor lately. I was awake at 6:30 so decided to get it done rather than waiting for parkrun. Wanted to 'test' the fitness a little bit so after some humming and hawing I settled on 10k at about HM effort... This was a sh*t show really, pace for the 10k was very dissappointing for the effort. Felt very disillusioned heading home and this was backed up by the metrics after the run synced up, the RE for a similar pace on the same route has climbed fairly dramatically since January. Spent the morning feeling sorry for myself with thoughts of why am I bothering to run at all... Distracted myself later in the day watching my son play his favourite sport. His lost by 1pt after coming back from being down by 2 05 in the first half. He played a blinder though, in a position he's not used too due to an injured player in the midfield, and along with his team never gave up. It is hard witnessing your kids' dissapointment but that is sport and life and I know he won't give up and I dare say neither shall I. 10miles with 10k @ 5:07min/k avg.

Week: 53k/33miles

Aug 14th-20th

Monday: 15 * 200m EIM intervals. Nothing memorable about this, it's always a fairly enjoyable run so I assume it was again!

Tuesday: No running

Wed: 5 * 1k EIM reps. Again I don't remember much about this, fairly bog standard morning run presumably.

Thurs: A bit weary this morning, didn't feel like running at all but did an easy 10k with 6 * 40seconds surges throw in, picked up after a few km and was really enjoying it by the end.

Friday: No running

Saturday: 10 * 400m EIM intervals. A bit blustery out but felt good this morning, enjoyed these intervals, lovely feeling of pop in the legs without straining.

Sunday: A really easy long run, threw in some easy surges again just enough to keep it from getting too ploddy. 10m @ 6:20min/k - slowest long run in a while but focussed on keeping HR low despite the swirly conditions. Finished the day out watcing my young lad come back from his defeat last week to win the shield final and score a sweet goal from midfield too, proud Mum day and great excitement, his 1st time to play in county grounds too so a big occasion for him. Onward to my last week of morning running, I'll miss getting it done before the day starts.

Week: 57km/35.7miles

Post edited by ariana` on

• Advertisement

Aug 21st-27th

Mon: bog standard 5 * 1k eim reps @ 5:05, 5:01, 5:01, 5:03, 5:05. Not sure why but i felt really good on these and was pleasantly surprised by even splits for a change - though my range for these is quite wide anyhow. 

Tues: Nothing. Long day in work and a trek to Galway in the evening to watch my son play in Pearse Stadium. I am normally the first to give out about the GAA but they do a good job of running all these underage cups and leagues giving every kid a chance to play with all the different divisions. This time he was playing u15 in a cup final, 48hours aftering winning an u13 shield final. Watching him play, 13 aside full pitch in a big stadium, covering all that ground, brought vividly to mind the Physio telling me when he was just 5 years old that he would have given up all sport by the age of 9 due to not being able to compete with his peers... Every year is a blessing because he loves it so much and puts his heart into it, and getting to lift a cup even once ("to win just once, that might be enough"), is just a massive bonus and a proud mum moment. On another level entirely I got home at about 11pm and sat and watched Ciara McGeean's final in Budapest and listened to all her post race interviews, she brought tears to my eyes, what a run she had, bittersweet I know but she did us so proud. What an inspiration and role model for all young sports people.

Wed: EIM 200m reps - woke up very tired and didn't feel like running at all but as usual ended up having a grand run, some sunshine too - win win.

Thurs: 5 * 1k eim reps @ 5:06, 5:01, 4:59, 4:57, 5:02 - again felt good, nice and light on my feet for these reps, again wearing the Gliderides, my favourite shoe for these 1k reps.

Fri: Nothing. Doing some fun stuff with the kids for the day instead.

Saturday: Another 5 * 1k reps but this time I jogged all the recoveries instead of the usual short walks breaks prescribed, so this was a bit nippier overall. Reps were @ 5:06, 4:55, 5:01, 4:54, 4:55.

Sunday: Easy with 5 * 100m thrown in to keep me awake - on a day that should have been my auld fella's 80th birthday, hard to imagine when someone is so long gone, much more than half my life now (27+ years), what it would be like if they were still around, what would they make of all the shenanigans since then?! There wasn't even mobile phones then, much to my kids shock! I remember clear as day driving around in a neighbours car trying to locate my siblings on that fateful Saturday night, the only one of us who wasn't out socialising. "It's just mad Ted."

Week: 50km/31.1miles

A race next week all going well. No clue really what I expect but at least test the (base) fitness, hopefully it will carry me through and it won't be a miserable experience.

Advertisement