Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracting in Ireland?

• 13-04-2023 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Recently went through a lengthy interview process for a FTE job in a software company. After the 5th and final interview, the company went into a hiring freeze, however, the hiring manager has managed to pull a few strings and wants to offer me a 6-month contract to get me in the door which he hopes will turn into a full-time role once the 6-months is up. 

Contracting is completely new to me so I am trying to navigate as best I can and make a decision on what to do. I was made redundant in Feb so not presently working, however, I had my own company a number of years ago, and heading down the path of registering for income tax / VAT, etc. is not something I want to do. I have reached out to a few of these companies that market themselves to contractors such as Fenero, Keystone-Resourcing & Icon Accounting and just waiting to hear back. 

So my question is, can anyone with experience offer me any guidance with this new to me situation? Is it worth it or should I just keep interviewing for a Full-time role?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you're not working take the contract, use an umbrella company. If it gets extended then think about doing it yourself.

Few questions though.

Is the contacting rate is more that the permanent salary?

How have other interviews gone?

I enjoyed contracting when I did it years ago. Sorry I stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Thanks for your reply. The umbrella route seems to be the way to go for sure.

I have countered their offer so it’s more. As I was interviewing for a FTE they have essentially offered the upper realm of what I asked for as a FTE but the offer is obviously a contract. So I’ve countered that with a much higher rate to take all of this into account, will see what they come back with but if the offer is essentially a pay decrease I’ll turn it down same as I would if I was low balled on a FTE contract.

In terms of other interviews, I have a final interview next week and a couple others in early stages.

Out of interest, why do you say you’re sorry you gave up the contracting work?

Just liked the variety. In perm job you end same location and same role for a lot longer. You also have to deal with a lot of HR nonsense as a permie. As a contractor I found the variety meant I learnt more.

You have to pay sick pay, holiday pay, pension, down time between contracts etc. So you need a good bit more.

Ye that all makes perfect sense. Thank you for the help.

Any particular opinion of any of the ‘Umbrella companies’? From my research Fenero seem to be decent

None sorry. Long time since I did it.

• Advertisement

No worries, thank you for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

My girlfiriend uses Fenero (contracts with Regeneron) and they've been perfect

Advertisement