Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Not contradicted, they said there wasn't enough evidence, almost exactly what I said! And as I said above, there's no doubt the investigation was flawed but that's what could have saved Bailey.

There's not enough evidence to convict in court but as I said, we're not in court. Based on testimony provided by a large list of people, Bailey is the most likely culprit. Of that there's no doubt.

Someone like Josie who was actually living there states the most likely scenario. And it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sex would have motivated Bailey, it's that simple.

You did it. You saw her in Spar on Saturday. You saw her walking up the aisle with her tight arse. You fancied her. You went up there to see what you could get.

We know from his diaries in the liable case that he had a less than conservative attitude to sex.

We also know that he acted weird when he had drunk whiskey.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he did head off to her house to see if he could get some action.

People do wired things while drunk, and randy people do even weirder things, like hike across the country side looking for sex from some hot French woman they have been observing from a far.

Plus he's not the kind of guy who expected to be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

Josie may not have being referring to Bailey at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I've asked on the thread before if people can point to other murders which have occurred as per the Garda narrative.

Someone barely known to the victim, wanders up post midnight to the victim's residence, rebuffed and brutally murders the victim. No sign or indication of sexual assault.

This is not a "most likely" scenario for any murder afaik.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You've gone off the rails there a bit dude.

The French authorities didn't find any evidence. What addtional evidence did the French authorities find that proved Bailey's guilt? They looked at the pile of sh1te evidence the Gardai handed them and decided that Bailey 'dunnit'. Evidence, I might add, that our authorities couldn't stand over. Evidence that they deemed insufficient to warrant a murder charge let alone achieve a conviction.

Yes, there was incompetence on the part of the Gardai. But that doesn't mean that Bailey 'dunnit' and got away because of the Gardai incompetence. Bailey could also be innocent. But you don't seem to want to consider that.

Being the most likely suspect doesn't remotely mean that he did it. It just means he warranted investigation. And when Bailey was investigated, they couldn't find any substantial evidence against him. The credibility of witnesses in this case was unbelievably bad. If Marie Farrell told me I had a head on my body, I'd go look in a mirror to check. Scratches etc. All had plausible causes.

Bailey hasn't helped his cause with what he said, but most people agree that he's an attention seeking whore with a very warped sense of humour.

Long story short. Do I think Bailey did it? I just don't know. In my mind, there's feckall credible evidence to say he did it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe you can explain how they might have been wrong from viewing the evidence as presented and not AGS who have shown themselves in this case to have made many serious mistakes with the evidence and also worth bearing in mind (AFAIK) that the heavies sent from Dublin to investigate the case involved the same team and culture that stitched up Joanne Hayes.

You make it sound like you know the guy!

Someone drunk enough to traipse a few miles to see a stranger in the bizarrely unlikely chance of getting their hole is unlikely to be in a position to have the ability to overcome a sober person and beat them to death.

Furthermore, it is unlikely that STdP would have walked down her lane in the middle of the night for a pissed eejit like Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bailey was known to walk the roads late at night, traipsing miles was nothing new to him.

Plus in his eyes getting his hole was likely, rather than unlikely, he has a massive ego.

Sophie may have been running away from him down the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

There is no evidence to convict Bailey nor is there additional evidence.

There is absolutely no evidence to connect anybody to the crime.

This is also not evidence. "Was known to" and "was likely" or "unlikely" is also not evidence, and neither is "massive ego".

Neither is writing about strange sexual fantasies.

If this was evidence one would have to lock up nearly half of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

What lit up this thread? it's been pretty quiet apart from the last few days.

I was beginning to think the Gardai had some new break through.

And without same, it's all a rehash of every opinion already expressed.

I don't think the Gardai hat some new break through. They've also messed up the case back then, that it has the stigma that the Guards are not to be believed in this investigation.

They may have spoken to some people in France, however that was more than a while ago. They also may have re-examined the cinder block, but no real news on that as well.

And then there is Jim Sheridan who may think he has some new insight, but I doubt that this is real news. A few shady men loitering in back alleys are hardly proof of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, you can look at it that way.....I think the only reason Bailey became chief suspect was because the Gardai investigating the case, or at least the most senior of them, decided that he was guilty. Hence the investigation became a game of trying to find anything that would incriminate him. Even to the point of manipulating witnesses.

I agree that some of the theories expounded are not really plausible but I am of the view that the Bailey theory is also implausible.

As I said above, motive here is key. In cases of this type, the husband is always the first port of call for the investigators. Although there is no actual evidence of Daniel being involved, no one had as much to gain as him and, statistically, most female victims are murdrerd by their spouse or partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And worth re-iterating the French judicial system is fundamentally different in structure. The roles are not equivalent.

In a French trial, police evidence is overseen by an instructing \ investigating judge during the investigation. An 'active' DPP who mediates the evidence.

So evidence that comes to court has gone through their oversight.

What happened in the French trial was that AGS evidence, without judicial \ DPP oversight, was presented as if it was French levels of 'mediated' evidence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You can polish a turd any way you like but it's still a turd. Just in case I'm not being clear, the evidence against Bailey is a turd.

I wouldn't put much faith in the the French levels of 'mediated' evidence. It's sh1te evidence, no pun intended. You know this. I know this. The Gardai know this. The DPP knows this. Everyone knows this. Yet the French convicted Bailey on that sh1te evidence. So that tells me the level of French scrutiny or oversight of this evidence is next to non-existent.

It's also a mad system in France that if Bailey was extradited to France to serve his sentence, he'd automatically be entitled to a retrial.

You are right - it is the same stuff over and over again. The reason for this is that every now and again someone new comes along and says how it definitely was Bailey because he got out of bed, had scratches etc etc. They are blinkered to the fact that there is actually no evidence supporting that Bailey did it. These people usually haven't done much research on the case and need to be informed by others of other theories. They also dont read over the thread before posting. Thus the rehashing of stuff already mentioned again and again.

I think the only ones who did a decent job here is the Irish judiciary. They had no decent evidence beyond reasonable doubt, thus they didn't convict him.

The Guards were corrupt and inapt to solve the crime and the French judiciary convicted based on hearsay evidence.

No, you're being selective with what he said.

He described the investigation as "flawed and prejudiced" ie. flawed ( which can be explained by incompetence) and prejudiced ( which cannot) . The use of the word prejudiced is critical because it implies deliberate misrepresentation, manipulation and distortion of the facts. This significantly weakens the Garda case and actually strengthens the liklihood of Bailey's innocence.

The reason he's still a free man, is because there is no evidence that associates him with the victim, the crime scene or the crime itself. Neither is there a plausible motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Yes, the most likely scenario is that the killer is local, so it may point to lots of people in the area including her own family, Alfie Lyons, Leo Bolger, The French man from Marseilles, the German musician etc. etc. The Gardaí also believe that for her to leave her her house she probably knew her attacker. She did not know Ian Bailey.

She also said that Sophie had told her that she wanted to remarry her forst husband and that she was in the process of divorcing Daniel.......

• Advertisement

Not only did they not convict him, they didn't even charge him in the first place.

I don't think we could narrow it down between the killer being a local or not. However based on behaviour it would suggest that the killer may indeed have been local.

Or even worse is the idea that somebody from Dublin driving there ( after a recovered hangover from a birthday party before ) may have had difficulty finding the place, but somebody like myself, not being local either, found the house with ease, not having google earth or GPS or those sorts.

On the other hand, it's a statistic, that killer and victim often knew each other beforehand.

I know but what she suggested is the most likely scenario in my opinion. Especially ahead of the Hollywood plots.

I don't know if Bailey did it. I'm just saying he's the most likely suspect and he is. The French authorities found that enough evidence was there, the Irish authorities didn't. We don't know who was right, the assumption that the French authorities are wrong comes from the pro Bailey faction.

Why are you assuming the French authorities are wrong but not the Irish authorities? Couldn't the DPP be incompetent also?

There is a plausible motive. Bailey has stated it. You can't keep ignoring that. The investigation was flawed and they clearly tried to correct that through dodgy tactics after. This in no way exonerates Bailey. It just shows AGS to be completely incapable.

There is doubt over whether they met and you're ignoring this part of Josie's statement:

"It is probably somebody who had a crush on her, who must have seen her and went out of their way to see where she lived."

This fits in with Bailey's statement:

"You did it. You saw her in Spar on Saturday. You saw her walking up the aisle with her tight arse. You fancied her. You went up there to see what you could get. She ran off screaming. You chased her to calm her down. You stirred something in the back of your head. You went too far. You had to finish her off."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I doubt anyone here is an expert on the French legal system, but I was following it in-passing and it was a parody of justice. No defence was offered up for Bailey and it's fairly obvious that political pressure was brought to bear to bring it that far. It was not a fair trial or interrogation of the evidence as we know it. My understanding of the system is that if evidence is submitted by prosecutors and is not challenged it is taken by the court as fact.

Mick Clifford covered it and came to the same conclusion.

Jaysis I really really hope you are not in the gardai, legal profession or judiciary.

You are ready to convict a man of murder on very very flimsy information. I could say that you knew Sophie, I seen you in the area and you told me you did it - do you think it would be fair to convict you based on heresay.

• Advertisement

You don't think some men randomly murdering women is common? Are you serious? Even in Ireland where murders are rare we've seen a fair amount of it.

Advertisement