Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse collection - ombudsman or regulator?

Options
  • 14-04-2023 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

My bin company has missed 2 out of the last 3 glass collections. Glass is collected only every 3 months. The first miss was down to a new driver supposedly, and they did arrange to collect it a few weeks later. The second time, they promised on the phone to collect it within the week. When this didn't happen I switched to email to keep a record of everything, and they changed tune saying I was on a list, limited glass bin lorries, and they would get to me ASAP. That was 3 weeks ago, and I don't think it is reasonable to be expected to wait so long when they messed up in the first place. I'll be switching providers when renewal comes up, but am wondering if there's anything I can do in the meantime short of delivering my glass to their business address.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭HorseSea

Interested to hear if either are any use here.

Also as a matter of interest who is the service provider? I don't know any doing glass collection locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not in scope for the Ombudsman, as it is private company, not a public service body.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BottomBurp

Your locally is not necessarily my locally 😁😁😁

I won't name and shame as I want to keep all my options open

As the bin collection is a matter of public health and safety, I expect there is a body with teeth - the EPA maybe?

I know that my collection of beer bottles and bolognese jars doesn't pose an imminent risk to the public health, but I was really ticked off with the disinterest from their customer service. The larger service providers all seem to have this perception that they aren't accountable to their customers. I take issue with that perception and I have plenty of time and energy to spend on these little battles of will.

Instead of deliverying to their business premises, you could deliver your glass to the nearest bottle bank, if you don't want to wait for them to get to you.

Save yourself the time and the energy of getting into a back and forth with the refuse company.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Only seeing this thread now but I would report the offender to the city or county council, they issue permits (or licences, whatever they're called) to companies to do regular refuse collection in their area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 BottomBurp

Thanks - the collection was finally made 2 months late after many calls and emails.

Advertisement