Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If an honest discussion on nitrates was given by Teagasc and government bodies even to the EPA then the derogation wouldn't go.

By this I mean how nitrates really end up in groundwater and waterways. The whole truth.

Reasons how it happens : The one that everyone thinks of manure and slurry is how it can enter waterways. Same for human sewage. It's how it's spread and how the ground is and if there's plant cover and conditions to take it up.

Other reasons that people don't consider but are the single most important is the soil itself. If the soil has been ploughed. Any nitrate spread or natural nitrate from soil life is now free to move. The plant life and roots are gone in this time, the glue that held the soil together in this time is gone and nutrients wash through. The leachable ones that is, N, P, B, S. The air gets into the soil and bacteria consume carbon that otherwise was unavailable that held onto those nutrients. This happened in the drought of 2018. Nitrate levels went up. Because plants were compromised, air went into the soil got to the carbon and bacteria went into overdrive consuming the carbon. N leached when rains came.

Now what does this all mean for agriculture in Ireland?

Straight off cultivation is going to have an effect. This is at odds with the rhetoric from government bodies, teagasc, epa from what they are looking for.

So maize growing, to turnips, veg, potatoes, cereals, etc have a serious effect.

So that's increased veg growing to maize growing for anaerobic digestion all going to increase nitrate release.

Our environmentalists know this but just the same way they view rice production as a price worth paying re methane. They are willing to say nothing on the issue as it's viewed a result worth taking. Why? Because they want to court the view at the moment of it's all the cows and nothing else to get those numbers down. Get numbers on spreadsheets. Increase and promote anaerobic digestion and growing land for this purpose. If they come now and say turning a spade on soil releases nitrate. It muddies the water from the black/white view that is currently being screamed across the media to influence everyone. It confuses people.

Nitrate release on tilled ground of 7 to 10mg/litre.

On pasture 4 to 5mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On the teagasc point. There could be ulterior motive on not really going above on beyond to not say anything on stock numbers and it going below 170.

By going below it means more land per beast. And more forage made, more grass available and possibly less or no meal fed.

Reducing meal fed and increasing feed value of forage should be everyone's aim anyways.

But still it's up to farmers to fight their own case.

Edit: just saw Ginger, kind of same message.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭jaymla627

18000 cows supposedly burned alive, mental stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Looks like the days are numbered for the lads letting out land tax free. I'd say it's no harm myself but it will effect the land rental market. All that tax free money was always too good to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

What makes you say that? If the tax relief was scrapped what way do you think it would affect supply and price..I think it would tighten supply the same as housing and landowners would want the lad leasing to pay there tax aswell, making land dearer again.

It was on the ifj podcast today. Was brought in to make land available for young farmers originally. Costing dept of finance a lot of money now. Will cut land supply for sure.

Ok, Was it a success? I think it's just the big have got bigger on the back of it around here anyway..I suppose it may lead to more land coming for sale where it's left to people not interested in farming, which might be a positive.

Might cut out investors too. The property market is better off not being meddled with in general imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I think it's better off gone, too many people speculating buying and renting out to us ejits then.

• Advertisement

That would definitely be a good thing to make it less attractive, interest rates rising would help on that front also with positive returns on cash possibly coming too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Maybe it’s not the farmer who has the most cows but the one who needs the least land who’ll benefit from the lower nitrates/banding and the possible drying up of rental land?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Eejits is right. A developer was buying land boundsing me a few years ago. I was interested in part of it and he said no. He'd buy it all and rent it out to me tax free. No way I said. I don't pay rent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It encouraged longer the move to longer leases though and if it it goes you will see yearly lets coming back to the fore which is not in best interest of tennents.it could be argued that only wealthy farmers are in a position to buy land and leasing suits smaller and young farmers as they dont have the capital to invest in land.

The above argument only stacks up if milk is up in the high 40's and grain in the 300's, present day bar operations on owned lad with little debt will be farming at breakeven our in most cases a considerable loss for 2023, unless banks start doling out loans to finance the ridiculous rents been paid the market will level of again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I dont know about that we are currently in a situation where milk price is heading to forty cent and land price us heading for the sky.dairy farmers are getting this "white gold"sh#te thrown at them everyday so dont expect too much lenancey in negotiations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭green daries

I agree kg .it's something that sickens my hoop to be listening to. But the white gold shite comes from the same papers/social media that are lining us up for drawing and quartering on price cuts at the minute.......these people hear all the different details but they will choose to ignore it unless farmers press it home. I've encountered a few lately withe the white gold guff but when I reply with the savage cuts we've got and more to come,they are all well aware of what is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If a well funded dairy exit/reduction scheme does in-fact come into play next year, i reckon alot of co-ops and the white gold brigade will be scratching their heads with how many farms will go for it, of course the bigger units borrowed to the hilt will stay out of it, but theirs a large base of suppliers the wrong side of 60 who will pull the pin, especially if milk dips into 30's as is been muted now, it will be equivalent our worse than 2016, looking back this morning we averaged 29 cent for the year, if you take into account fertilizer was circa 230 can 18:6:12 350, good quality 16% nut was 255....

Both combined where circa costing 11 cent a litre, present day with fertilizer at current prices blended in with dear autumn stuff, and a good quality 16% at 430 euro, both combined for 2023 will be over 20 cent a litre, if you where to factor in increased machinery/diseal/electric/ contractor/detergent costs etc it's not good viewing when worked out on paper

Post edited by jaymla627 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭minerleague

If you signed a long lease now/soon would you qualify for the tax free income over the full lease if they change the rules in a year or two? Might encourage a few undecided to lease out land now maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ginger22

And the sad part is feed and fertilizer and electricity have come away down in the rest of the world. Good old rip off Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭green daries

60 euro difference for a identical 18% nut from a local Miller versus the crowd I'm with, with my crowd having more price drops come may, other crowd not a hope for the foreseeable, Local crowd has sheds full of dear barley so very reluctant to move prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Not an easter egg or a violin left in the shops .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Id say the changes if and when then come will only apply to leases after that date, they couldnt apply it to existing leases retrospetively,

It would be better to only allow people who had previously farmed to avail of it and not people who simply bought land to lease it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

Most likely yes. Leases signed will be let run their course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

It'll have to go, there's people buying land away and leasing it tax free whilst renting close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Weather finally with us thankfully

maize ground dunged and Slurried yesterday and today, ploughed Monday hopefully

whole crop going in next week

just another 60 k gallons to draw up the road Monday and Tuesday to ground we take for one cut of silage

nice to be back out in the fields

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Sure is …..maize and wholecrop ….be jaysus 😀😀

Advertisement