Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

With my LG C1 at least, you can hear the pixel refresh low buzz from back of TV and then hear a click when it's done. Takes a few minutes after you put the TV on standby. So you don't need to keep it on standby all the time.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's a full panel refresh that happens about once a year I think too, normally kicks off in the middle of the night.

Although that was on a C7, so maybe it's changed since then

• Registered Users Posts: 29,799 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

How does it play? Anything like the the golf club 2 we used to have the boards club on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I found it tough to be honest. It didn't help that I rushed through the game either, it's a game that requires patience. Beautiful looking game though, I played it on the Series X.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm absolutely horribly addicted to Deception 4 again. I'm just shy of 100 hours played in the game. Have 87% of the nightmare princess DLC complete but will have to play a few other stages to get the last items and then the 10 stage DLC left. The shorter form levels of the nightmare princess expansion actually suit the game better than the main Blood Ties campaign.

There's so much content here, I'm not even going to contemplate finishing the 100 mission mode.

• Advertisement

There's a trial on gamepass (or ea play on PS).

I still think I prefer 2k's gameplay. With EA the graphics are brilliant and it's a great selection of courses but I find the backswing way too slow (the game only being 30fps doesn't help this either). The thing that annoys me the most though is that you can't pick how many rounds to play in career mode. It's either the full 4 rounds or quick rounds which is just a few holes a round. In every golf game I think I've ever played I've always had the choice to set rounds (I usually go with 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I remember reading an article a few years ago about 8 bit and 10 bit displays and how 10 bit you do not see lines(it's blended in). Well I received my new OLED Tv today and set it up just now and ran a Xbox 360 game on my Series X just to try out a 10 bit display. My previous displays were 8 bit plus 2 bit frc to make a fake 10 bit display. Well anyway booted up the 360 game as the lines always bothered me with my previous displays and sure enough the lines are still there on my 10 bit. Anyone know why that is? The article I read years ago said the image would be blended in without lines on a 10 bit display.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Probably depends on lots of things ... The game, the Xbox capabilities, the cable from Xbox to TV, the TV settings. Is there a you tube video you can play on the smart TV to check if your TV handles what you are taking about.

Also OLED is a different kind of beast to LED so it may show up things that get blended on a lower res led TV

The OLED does look amazing though I have to admit.

One game I decided to try out is the Witcher 3 and I'm glad I did as it is amazing. Took me a while to get used to the controls again. I still haven't mastered the game. My last save was 5 years ago. I continued on in a cave in some mission not long into the game but I am sucked in fully now so there goes 100 odd hours I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Saw some trailers for Ubi's FPS XDefiant, and man it's as generic and bland as you'd expect. Some previews have said there's potential there, but I don't see it troubling all the other free-to-play shooters out there.

For some reason, I thought EA's Immortals of Aveum was going to be another multiplayer shooter (albeit with a magic theme), but turns out it's actually a single player romp with a 20ish hour long campaign. Still, it's EA. Best not to get too excited.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if this is the correct place. Well I know it's not but I will ask here anyway.

I took delivery of my new OLED yesterday but it was not all plain sailing. The courier drop it off at a neighbours house as he thought it was my house despite nobody having the same Eircode. Anyway the neighbour for some reason decided to open it up and take the panel out despite my name on package. He scratched the **** out of the panel. Can I send it back?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Eh this is a very specific set of circumstances 😅 But going by Citizens Information:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/shipping_and_delivery.html

"The seller is responsible for damage or loss of your goods from the time they are dispatched until you receive them. This is the case where the seller has offered a particular post, delivery or courier service and this was not organised by you."

It's probably a grey area, but if the delivery to the neighbour was a mistake than you probably have rights to a refund or replacement. I would contact the seller and the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission about it.

Thanks. I know it's a terrible situation but I have no idea why he decided to open it up. Like you don't one day get a Tv delivered to you and say. Jesus it must be Christmas and I got a free Tv. My names not on the box but I will open it anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are covered fully by law here. Take it up with the seller. If you've no look when asking for a manager then there's the small claims court. You also didn't sign for delivery so legally you never received it.

Honestly shouldnt be too much of an issue. I had a faulty OLED a few weeks ago and the replacement was simple enough, most places are sound about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,799 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Whatever about opening up a telly that obviously wasn't meant for you but how do you usually scratch the panel. Wow, seriously unlucky man. I'm thinking the seller will refund you /send out a new telly and charge the courier company for the cost but who knows on these cases.

It looks like he took a blade to rip off the protective material. That's the main scratch that bothered me but upon further investigation to are a lot m ore smaller ones up near the top. The main one starts near the bottom and runs to the top right near the centre of the screen.

That sucks. I'm sure neighbour won't be invited over to watch the rubgy world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Did he give any reasoning for opening it when you went to get it? The actual nerve of it like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What did the neighbour say? Here's your TV I sliced it up with a blade for you 😭

He would have had to cut through the box, the wrapping and the protective film on the screen multiple times. Do you live next door to crocodile Dundee?.

Just in case, double check there isn't a protective film on the screen that saved it. I got an lg oled recently and barely noticed the screen protector.

Think they are out of luck, the knife was used to get the protective film off. Neighbour is a moron.

• Advertisement

Hey, you know the way David Cage is a bit of a bellend that makes awful games?

Want to think he is an even bigger bellend?

Well I was listening to an episode of retronauts and found out David Cage isn't his real name. And the pseudonym he took, David Cage, is because he wanted to be named after Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat.

Which episode? If it's one with Parish I'll have to listen as he grits his way through it.

Also I couldn't possibly think Cage could be an even bigger bellend.

It was a Bob Mackey one, the watch along Mortal Kombat movie episode. It was more of an aside really but I was a bit dumbfounded but then it is David Cage so it checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So he did a Nicolas Cage, but picked a different Cage. Bellend is right. Might as well have went with Joe Goro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

David Cage, the quintessential example of how Gaming has a reputation problem of wannabe film writers or directors without the talent to back it up. Kojima is no better but at least goes big and mental on occasion, even making some decent games; Cage thinks he's telling Very Important Stories, his games barely playable. Bet he's seething The Last Of Us got made on HBO.

My favourite David Cage memory was him getting a super-serious auteur interview and the interviewer getting bored and interviewing Yu Suzuki instead.

You'd be surprised. I had a monitor not turn up. When I followed up on it they said it was delivered and signed by me. I said it wasn't and asked for proof and they just stopped responding to me. I had to do a charge back.

Some neighbour got a nice new monitor for free, sweet for them.

The thing about Kojima is he is a terrible director with terrible taste in music yet a great game designer and yet he doesn't want to be a game designer. He's also got the same problem as David Cage of having some great ideas but executes the delivery of them terribly. Although I find Kojima a lot better at coming up with interesting ideas rather than David Cage 'it will be an episode of Law and Order, but ****'.

My friend was in the press during the release of Heavy Rain. Sony had an event in Ireland where they hooked up a load of PS3's for people to play the demo of Heavy Rain. After everyone finished the demo which took about 10 minutes they all went off to get pissed and stuffed on the free booze and food and left David Cage hanging around the demos looking for people to interview him. My friend did because he felt sorry for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Anyone having a stab at the Candy Crush All Stars prize pool? Made it to the Semis where I'm fairly sure the combination of those with too much time or too much money will bring my participation to an end.

Advertisement