Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

When I say baffling in fairness I’m thinking of Fabinho. Fantastic player up until the start of this season that can’t even play simple passes anymore.

All I’m saying though really is I understand what they were going for. Bellingham would have sorted a key midfield position for years so probably thought he’s worth waiting for, while thinking that we should realistically still target a CL spot until we have an opportunity to sign him, with additions being handled after that was sorted(and with older players moved on). And that honestly should have been considered a realistic target.

A host of injuries and an ageing or non functioning midfield has meant the gamble didn’t pay off, so now we need to look at numbers instead of the most talent. It’s crap, but it’s where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fabinho's drop off has been such a surprise alright. From arguably one of the best 6s in the world to an absolute travesty of a player almost overnight. A proper fit and firing Fabinho from previous years alone would've transformed this season for us - the creaks elsewhere wouldn't have looked so bad. But with him regressing more than all the others put together, it's been like the straw that broke the camels back.

I saw another post above saying 'Ownership is 100% to blame for our midfield', which I can't quite agree with - it's too specific imo. Not pushing on in a general sense is the owners fault for sure, but I really don't think the owners are saying yay or nay to any individual signings. They give the number, but it's those actually involved in the direct running of the club that spend it. I'd guess the ~130m spent on forwards could've been instead spent on midfielders without anyone needing to go up the chain. Really, the right decision probably would've been to split that money across both areas - but I have to be looking at Klopp and the transfer lads for that misallocation, rather than the lads at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Everyone other than the players are at fault here really.

It's an atrocious lapse in judgement and management. One can only hope they have learned their lessons. There were rumours that that Klopp and Pep took over more responsibility of the transfers and this has had a knock on effect... hopefully this can be ironed out.

One other thing that comes to mind is that the existing players, ones that expect to compete for trophies, won't be happy if the adequate players are not signed. And they could easily start looking elsewhere.

Perhaps that's FSG's plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

A good thread and sums up what a lot of us feel at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t agree that FSG have been fooling people with the idea of sustainable football. Football, like any other industry, shouldn’t require huge amount of debt to be successful. And considering the state of the club when FSG took over you think more fans would appreciate that. Short memories I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks like Trent is starting the process of being our new midfielder, I expect we'll be buying a proven right back who plays week in week out, while Trent moves to the midfield role, and who knows, he's most likely better than Jude, has more to his game than Jude

Exactly... it's not like FSG were out telling lies about sustainable football or something - they brought people into the club to run it sustainably, and the results showed that sustainable football can be successful. It's obviously harder, but ultimately it's the only approach that should be entertained since anything else is either a road to collapse, or the transformation of the club into something not worth supporting.

PL charged Man City with over 100 charges 2 months ago, and then suddenly, again, everything vanished, in 2020 they got a two year CL ban, and again it vanished, all by magically coming up with millions to pay the problem away, which is ironic when it was about magical millions appearing from nowhere.

PL need to get on an relegate Man City to 3rd tier, or Liverpool need to join them in breaking every rule in the book, as the rules seem to mean nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I wouldn't give nunez the responsibility of handing out the oranges at half time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You could have gotten 16-1 for Liverpool to miss out on Top 4 at the start of the season. I'd imagine all the soothsayers who were able to predict our drop-off this season are all going to be very rich come the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Other than Fabinho's drop off in form, which I think no one can really explain, nothing else about our midfield is surprising; Henderson not the force he was, signs were there last season, Thiago injuries, no surprise, Milner ageing, Keita and Ox injuries no surprise there, Jones injuries/ not good enough, no surprise, Elliot inconsistent performances, no surprise as he's a young player, Carvalho on the fringe as expected, and Arthur injured 🤣, how anyone wasn't concerned by our midfield options is beyond me.

Midfield is the most important part of any team, if that's not right it affects every other area and magnifies any weaknesses such as Trent's defending. Had we addressed our midfield deficiencies last summer and in January, it's likely we would be in the top 4 now, the money spent would have paid off by getting CL, instead our midfield is a shambles and we are less attractive to the type of players we need to improve the side. It's not going to be easy get back into the top 4, whether the club likes it or not, money will need to be spent to get back in contention for top 4, if they don't, we'll likely continue to finish outside the top 6 in future seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Don't think anyone feels fooled by FSG. Atleast for me the issue I have is that the squad has been mismanaged since we won the league. Hard to point the finger at any one party as being responsible. It is probably a mixture of all parties like owners and management having some share of responsibility for it.

Unlike when FSG bought the club, we are now competing with state and multi billionaire owned clubs with few limits to spending. FSG know they can't compete and I believe it was the reason why they were pushing strongly for a Super League where I read there would be a cap on transfer spending. There is more money going in to the League than ever, and more clubs being snapped up by ultra rich owners. I think FSG's model has less chance of bringing success on the field now than when they bought the club, so I feel it is natural for fan opinion to change as the Premier League landscape changes.

The FSG grumblings are from fans who now realise not only can we not compete with the ultra rich clubs but we are now having to face in to a period of transition where it is very possible we will be facing years competing for 4th to 8th again. Fans will need to make up their own minds what they want. Some might be happy with that. I feel many won't. I personally don't think we can put together another team like the one we just had capable of competing for titles under a sustainable club model like FSG practice. It is either get owners who can or the Premier League wakes up and actually implements strict ownership and spending rules. The latter is by far the most desirable but also has next to no chance of happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I've pretty much resigned myself that we'll be scrambling around for 4th/5th at best for the foreseeable. I don't think the owners have any great ambition to do any more than the bare minimum of keeping the club competitive for a sale in a few years time. And financially they can't compete with the nation state clubs anyway.

City, money no object and will probably get Bellingham. Newcastle, money no object and will surely push the boat out further again with CL football. United, money no object to them ever and even less so if the takeover happens. Will spend big. Chelsea, money no object but a basketcase at the moment but that probably won't last. Arsenal to be fair spent big even without CL football in recent years. Which is a big part of why they are where they are now. Spurs, who knows? In a similar position to ourselves. Can't compete financially and might lose Kane.

The football landscape has changed in England anyway. A difficult few years ahead most likely.

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People keep mentioning the state-owned clubs as if our issues are a complete consequence of sudden injections of Arab money into the league, but Villa, Brighton, Spurs are all ahead of us. Brentford are 1 point behind us. We earn more money than all of these clubs, none of them are free spenders.

The club, which includes FSG, includes Klopp and includes the transfer people, have been negligent when it comes to managing the squad. The approach has been wrong and we're paying the price for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I was more looking at it going forward than what has happened this season. Don't think it even has to be mentioned the string of bad decisions from ownership to management that have led us to this place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I miss the days of the Liverpool sign Bent photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

In order to compete with the state backed clubs you need to have an exceptional manager and an exceptional recruitment strategy, we have those things and did compete and beat those clubs for 5/6 years, it can happen again.

I know almost nothing about Bellingham, i've no idea if he's worth the reported 120m, you don't necessarily need to spend that money on one player to compete, we were the best team in world football and only had two record transfers in that team.

Is Bellingham definitely going to move during the summer or is there a chance he would stay at dortmund for another year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Well if you were to believe the rumours that Mount, Ward-Prowse and Gallagher are our 3 midfield targets to replace Bellingham then we will be blessed to finish 4th any time soon 🤣🤣🤣!!

I wonder what Klopp will say about this during the next press conference.

I think the journalists that attend these things are afraid to ruffle feathers in case they are not allowed back in or are ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

People were saying they were going to look to sell once the Main Stand was built without competing. A lot of people are talking absolute crap at the moment because they are frustrated by our position at the moment. Mistakes has been made, but the a lot of the people that got us from 8th to 2nd in 3 seasons are still in place and we are in a better position with our squad than we were then.

Chelsea's goose is cooked I feel, they do not have a billionaire willing to throw away money at the problem. They will sell their way to profit but who will be their manager? They have been replaced though by Newcastle. But this is the same position we were in in 2015-16. 2 Clubs with unlimited budgets, Man United would hire the guarantee of success Mourinho who with their economic strength would dominate once more. Leicester with their sensible owners would build on their title winning season and be top 4 contenders for years. Tottenham had a up and coming coach and were perennial challengers. We were going to be also rans until FSG sold up once they had enough or built the Main Stand.

Will we be title challengers again next season? I don't know, but I can see the players are shattered. I want to see how they do after a proper pre-season and rest for the squad. We do need new faces in midfield, but we have rebuilt our forward line already. So basically, its not nice being a Liverpool fan at the moment and success is never guaranteed. I will also point out that I did not see a lot of dissent when we offered Salah his huge contract, or extensions for Van Dijk, TAA, Robertson or Henderson. In fact it was supposed to be the only choice. A few months later and times have changed. FSG will have us competitive, we will need some luck though to compete for the title again as we did before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'm not as doom and gloom as others. FSG aren't perfect and nor is klopp. They both made mistakes after the league win but that's far outweighed by getting us to that level before that. By miles.

Clubs that are not state owned can challenge City etc. They will still lose more than they will win but for me it's still worth it. This time arsenal have spent time getting together and are challenging this year. For many that came out of nowhere. Liverpool with klopp can regroup and go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think that this whole coordinated briefing by the club is, in part, designed to stop questions being put to Klopp, about a potential Bellingham transfer (to Liverpool).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I don't think a grand strategy is at play here, dude.

There has been epic mismanagement at senior levels ongoing for many a month now.

Happy to be proven wrong with someone pulling the rabbit out of a hat, but the team is listless & legless - their grit and resolve seem nonexistent. We've also over-invested in one area that didn't need significant revitalisation.

I can only imagine he's referring to the Treatment room. All of our biggest investments seem to end up in that area!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I think Liverpool will be used a test case in how not to handle the aftermath of success. FSG + klopp + transfer committee worked wonders in the early years and genuinely transformed the club. They barely put a foot wrong.

The issues came when we won the league. We, for all intents and purposes, rested on our laurels and told ourselves how great we were, our transfers, tactics and work rate etc couldn't be matched by anyone but a state backed superclub like city.

This hubris/unwillingness to spend money led to basically no real squad reinforcement, relying on aging players to continue to work miracles and defy ageing. The team got older and older together and we ended up with a squad full of "old" players and a few very young players thrown in. We've no one at their peak in this team in my opinion apart from Allison and konate is approaching his.

There were a few unknowables, no one could have predicted (the fall in form from fabinho) but as others have said basically everything else that's happened squad wise was very predictable. The medical side of things is staggeringly bad to have this number of long term injuries this season is bordering on negligent. I don't think anyone can argue it's all bad luck.

I think the fact the exodus from Liverpool at a leadership/backroom level points to some discontent behind the scenes but FSG and klopp have made a lot of mistakes this season and it's cost them and the team.

Let's see can they correct it this summer... The early signs are not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Klopp is part of that arrogance for me. He feeds back to the board what he wants and what he thinks he can do. I think he believed he could do magic on Naby and Ox when everyone else saw they weren't working. He could have asked for them to be sold and replaced but he backed them until last summer when it was way too late.

I still think he's the best man for the club by far but that's one of his flaws. He's clearly happy with the set up cause he signed that contract.

He'll be sold, if not he could sign for free in Jan 2025, a mere 15 months from now. He has to go, or sign a new long term contract, but that would be silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mane to Bayern has been the biggest "both sides lost" transfer in a while.

• Advertisement

I bet Sane agrees with you!

Not since the Craig Bellamy school of golf opened has there been so much open controversy.

True... since moving he's looked more like the version of himself from 20/21 than the version from the second half of last season after he won Afcon. Ultimately we probably did better out of it alright though - the forward line needed to be refreshed sooner or later anyway. I'm not sure there'd have been as much talk of missing him this season if Diaz and Jota didn't spend most of it injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd take him back in a heartbeat for the right cash.

I really don't think I would... he was getting to be a bit more hit than miss since we wont the league, with only 5 really excellent months from his past 2 years. At 31, I think we're better off looking forward for younger options that will continue to improve rather than degrade, especially as he also seems to be becoming more injury prone.

I'd agree with that broad principle but I suppose a second consecutive season outside of the CL is the risk.

Who amongst Nunez, Gakpo and Mane would make the best fist of making sure we secure CL football next season? I'd say Mane easily.

All conjecture because it isn't going to happen but we've missed what he gave us terribly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm fully expanding this summer transfer window to be another disaster. Already looking forward to reading posts trying to gloss over it by stating that having Bajcetic back from injury will be just like a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Why tho?

Like why even be a fan at that point? Excitedly anticipating getting to scoff at others' hypothetical opinions 4 months down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

The already looking forward to it was complete sarcasm.

TBH I don't share your confidence that he'd do an awful lot better than the two lads at this stage. But even if a decision was made to bring in another forward, rather than "take him back in a heartbeat for the right cash" I think we'd be better off looking elsewhere. He's been pretty poor this year, and still hasn't scored since he got back from his injury in February - and that's in the much-easier-to-score-in Bundesliga. I love the fella, but it would seem he's probably on the downswing of his career now.

• Advertisement

Don't forget Elliot will now be first choice to replace Hendo and Thiago back from injury will be like a new signing. Bajcetic and Elliot to backbone the midfield for the next decade. With Hendo and Fab as backups to see out games and Jones ready to fulfill his potential we will have loads of options. Why do we even need to bring in a midfielder, the lads were just tired this year. These players almost won a quadruple remember just to remind any of you doubters../sarcasm off

He's got eleven goals and five assists in 20 odd starts.

I'd have thought he'd be available for similar amounts that we sold him for (or less).

It's obviously academic, and that's part of the fun, but I have no doubt, based on what we've seen empirically, he'd make a bigger impact than the other two.

I'd love to be wrong and they both score 20 each next season of course.

It's funny though, Darwin and Mane have actually had quite similar outputs so far this season (in Darwins favour);

Darwin's got a goal every 185 minutes in the league, while Mane's got one every 199.

And Darwin's got a goal every 100 minutes in the CL, to Mane's 175.

Very similar amounts of game time as well, only 200 minutes the difference between them across the season.

True.

But tbf Mane had been class for years and was central to the way we played for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Any chance we could swap nunez for mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

He has been shocking since moving to Bayern

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It's a good article. I hadn't really thought about it but he's right, this is the first time I don't trust the owners/management to do the right thing (and that's despite a few mistakes along the way)

Decent article. This coming transfer window feels like it is the most important of certainly Klopp's tenure. A poor or even mediocre window and there will be much more unrest among the fans next season.

Klopp's comments at the press conference were a case of you can like it or lump it. This is what it is.

And according to this tweet, he is not happy with some of the reporters.

Not sure how reliable this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

The ‘want’ and ‘need’ part really stands out for me. The midfield needs reinforcement, and no-one is denying it.

Bellingham being English is making this bigger than it is, for example the club was outbid for Tchouameni last year, that also could have been classed as a want vs need scenario, but the mistake from the club was not buying anyone to address the need, and then scrambling to bring in an injured Arthur on loan.

I’m not really a fan of Carra writing articles like that where one player is being held up as the be all and end all for the clubs transfer strategy.

I want Fsg to spend money on the midfield, if they do that and think that they can get better value than what the Bellingham fee would be, I’d be ok with that.

We’ve seen these sagas before for high profile transfers and in a lot of cases, they player fails to deliver. I remember the summer Salah signed and sky sports had a graphic of the players who had gone for bigger money that year - most of them were flops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement