Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The should it or should it not be a red card thread.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

They could afford to be a lot less careful though when making big chest high hits which will have the same effect when one inevitably ends up higher than intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

well yes a chance.....because thats what happened, the clear out was a very clearly illegal play which they had no care for the consequences. i went back to that as an example as it was a pretty famous one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

Only problem with your theory is that you're assuming that it was deliberate, both in the intent, and how they chose to do it. I know it's still a sore point in these parts all these years later, but to think that these professional players would go out and deliberately try to harm a particular player in a premeditated way through illegal play, risking a red card and a lengthy ban in a series that they should (and did) easily win is just ludicrous. What could they possibly hope to gain?

Surely there's better more recent examples? A lot has changed in the sport in the last 20 years.

Surely there's better more recent examples? A lot has changed in the sport in the last 20 years.

There's Northampton's Callum Clark breaking Rob Hawkins' arm in 2012; one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on a field.

Almost any situation where a player has gouged or bitten an opponent would also apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

The 'spear tackle' was legal in 2005. WR did not specifically outlaw this type of tackle until 2009. The example cited was particularly notable as it occurred in a high profile game, and that it happened 41 seconds into the game. Even after so many years have elapsed it remains in the memory, and not just in Ireland.

• Advertisement

it was never legal, it was just clarified that for such an incidence refs were to start with a red card and then work backwards with mitigation etc,.

yes of course, two players picking up an opposition player at a ruck and dumping him on his head (shoulder thankfully) was in no way deliberate......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Anything like what Clarke did or gouging, biting, punching, stomping etc. should be a straight red with no substitution. And I believe that is the case in the experiment Super Rugby are doing. If the ref gives a red the team is down a player for the rest of the match. If the ref gives a yellow and that's upgraded to a red by the TMO, a sub comes on after 20 minutes.

i usually find the whole 'rugby has too many complicated laws (they generally incorrectly say rules, but whatever)' argument to be kinda rubbish, but this type of thing doesnt really help. a red should be a red, end of. none of this 'well it is a red, but it was the tmo that gave the red so its a different type of red' nonsense

The problem is in deciding when a red is a red. It has such a major bearing on a game, you want to make sure you're making the right decision.

Look at the Steward incident. A wrongly issued red has a major bearing on the result of a game. On the flip side, look at SOB punching Pape in the 2015 RWC. A missed red card also had a major bearing on the result of a match. At the end of the day, you can only assume they're trying to make the right decisions.

it has such a bearing on the injured players health, you want to make sure youre encouraging players to tackle lower

this whole thing of 'you dont want to ruin the game' is a joke and is completely missing the point entirely, players need to adjust and all these allowances that the coaches/laws/media etc are trying to give them are discouraging them from making the effort to change

you are correct that SOB deserved a red in that case, but the downgrading of the FS card a terrible call. jumping straight into the contact isnt making an effort to avoid it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Look at the Steward incident. A wrongly issued red

Hang on now. The citing committee disagreed with the match officials. That isn't the same thing.

Imagine I came on here arguing a point and said "well Frank Hadden agrees with me" or "John Langford doesn't think so". I'd be laughed out of it, but that's exactly your argument.

There's a weird set-up in rugby whereby a former barrister who's well into his 70s, a retired coach who hasn't been involved in the game for 15 years and a retired player who's been gone for 20 years are considered better judges of the rules of the game than four current elite referees, all of whom said it's a red. It's a bit mental.

this exactly, i cant for the life of me understand why those panels arent made of, or at least are predominately, other match officials

Well whatever suits your point of view, I guess.

You could equally argue that the decision made by the 'four current elite referees' in front of a baying crowd is a weird set-up, especially when the decision making is often led by one person, with none of the other officials wanting to disagree, as it would clearly be a bad look otherwise. I guarantee that if you asked all 4 officials at the Ire v Eng 6 Nations match what the punishment for Steward should have been independently, they wouldn't have all said red.

Is it your opinion that all decisions made by disciplinary committee are invalid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

You may be inadvertently arguing against yourself here.

Members of a disciplinary committee may disagree but presumably the chair's vote decides the outcome.

If the game officials are loath to disagree publicly does that not also equally apply to the much examined disciplinary committee's decisions ?.

Disciplinary committees exist because professionalism exists.

Thus the professionals have recourse to an appeals process in matters that directly affect their employment and reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They do use former officials at times but nearly all people on these committees have some form of legal background at this level which could be factor. its solicitors

No, I don’t think this is the case. Usually one of the panel will be from a legal background but rarely all three.

On the Stewart panel you’d John Langford (studied engineering) and Frank Hadden (a PE teacher) alongside a Kiwi KC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Langford former pro player and Hadden a pro coach alongside a KC is a good mix on a committee. It can be case sometimes that more have a legal background.

You are not going to get current refs on these committees. just isnt workable IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭phog

Last night Aki slapped a ball down in attempting to tackle. To me it looked intentional and should have been a card, ref gave a penalty.

Unfortunately I can't remember the time nor have I a clip of it but did anyone else think it was a YC offence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Would depend on whether or not the ref deemed there was a potential line break.

no, it depends on whether it was deemed intentional or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Intentional or not determines if it's a penalty.

Potential line break determines if it's a yellow.

It's a penalty offence to deliberately knock the ball on, it's elevated to a yellow card if deemed to have prevented a line break?

as per the recent clarifications: Players must endeavour to catch the ball. Referees are asked to show good judgement when deciding if a player has a reasonable expectation of catching and gaining possession, and then in determining a sanction. There is no formula for determining a Yellow Card sanction in these situations.

i dont see line-breaks coming into that really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

Wood for the trees. Promoting red cards has been done to rid the game of high tackles resulting in head injuries which are actually an existential threat to the game. The Steward card is a perfect example of the logic, he made the wrong call and ended up in an uncontrolled collision with the ball carrier resulting in a head shot, he got sent off. You can definitely find a way of arguing that it shouldn’t be a red card but to do so you must ditch the logic behind the law, which is to FORCE players and coaches to change the way they approach the tackle. Baxter needs to go back to school to understand how laws are designed to change behaviour and are not a perfect instrument to do so.

concussions threaten the integrity and existence of rugby far more than red cards do.

Advertisement