Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scale of garden - what size do I 'need'

Options
  • 11-04-2023 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi folks, like a lot of people I want to buy a house. I really want a decent garden with space for a pond, maybe a bee hotel, some wildflowers and space for a veggie patch. That sounds like a lot I know but none of these are going to have to be big, eg the veggie patch would be very small.

My question is really about what size i would need, as I don't really know about gardening or how much space would be needed between these things. Eg could they all be crammed in or do they need a fair bit of spacing, different soils and orientations etc, and does their presence necessitate other things, eg trees for shade etc.

Any comments at all welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

That's a little like asking how long is a piece of string.

This chap was on Gardeners World a while ago. He has all you've listed on the balcony of an 18th floor apartment (including a pond).

I think you first need to look at where you want to buy, and what you can afford to buy.

Wherever you buy, you will eventually hanker for more, gardening is addictive.

Wishing you the best of luck on your gardening journey, and others more knowledgeable than I will give you useful advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think your question's neigh on impossible to answer. For me it would be a minimum of a half acre. Others will say much more and much less. Have a look at gardens belonging to friend or neighbours to get a feel for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spalpeen

I guess to try and get more info – what are your needs that make you require minimum 1/2 acre?

I appreciate it's a vague q, trying to tease out some views, thanks for best wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd go for at least an acre site. Drive house, garage and hard standing will take up a good bit of space. However its not the total space you have its also how its organised. You don't want the house at the back of the plot or your veg patch is going to be out front.

Go big and have a small woodland with any excess. With a large plot and the house near the middle of it (but not plumb centre) you can keep a well maintained area around the house along with a lawn and slowly let the areas further away fit in with a wilder lower maintenance scheme. You can also make a boundary between more formal and wilder areas with hedges and also create garden rooms.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends a bit on where you are. If you are looking out the country you might as well look for a minimum of a half acre, though you do tend to spread yourself out if you have space. If you are looking for a house on an estate you won't get anything like a half acre, but in fact you could get all you mention into a reasonable urban garden, especially if you look for a bit older house, they tend to have a bit more garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

@spalpeen We bought a few years ago. Was looking at places with a half acre.

Saw one house with 4 1/2 acres and said to the other half "who needs that sort of land".

Guess which we brought?

Half acre for house, half for veg garden, orchard, bees, poultry and another 3 1/2 acres for silage which I rent out for a minimal amount.

I lived in Dublin all my life up to then 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Given the OP's view on the size of veggie patch being envisaged, I am not sure they are going to be into managing a 1/2 acre garden, that's 50x40m. Even a large urban garden requires a lot of effort and no little expense if it has a lot going on other than just an expanse of lawn. Great if you're sure you are into that but while I am keen to have an attractive garden with several features, there is a limit to how much time I can invest in it each year. When I was house hunting a few years ago, I was therefore looking carefully at the gardens on offer. I was more concerned with the aspect and current condition rather than the overall size once it wasn't miniscule (ie.e, couryard) or gigantic (>20m long).

I eventually ended up with a 10x7m south-west facing mature back garden which had a deck, shed, covered work area, some mature trees and climbers along the boundaries and a flower bed put in by the previous owners. I'm in the (extended!) process of replacing the small paving/lawn area in the middle with a single raised veggie bed, a wild flower bed and a 2x3m-ish pond/cascade. So you can fit a lot including everything in the OP's shopping list in to a small urban garden, it's just about layout and working with what is already there. If I did have more room, it would be given over to more vegetable growing - there is only so much you can produce in a single raised bed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know people with what the OP is asking for in less than a 10x10m back garden.

we've a reasonably large suburban garden, i think 12m by about 25m, and have absolutely oodles of space for the sort of stuff the OP is asking about.

why is it bad to have a veg patch in front? and if not centre of a site where would you generally site a house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It isn't but having it on view when your neighbours expect to see you sat there driving your lawn mower back and forth every week may put some people off having a veg patch if the only possible location is at the front of the house.

Personally I like a house offset towards one corner of a site at the end of a long winding drive through managed woodland - but I can't afford to live there only to work in such places. But if I was building a house I'd build it were the best view and work around that. Although Irish planners are so up their own backsides they seem to want houses in the middle of a site facing the road. If the main view isn't in that direction tough luck.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think having a veg garden at the front depends somewhat on the style of your house. If it is a very conventional, formal arrangement then you really have to continue the theme and have the front as decorative. If its older or more traditional looking, and depending on the general look of the place, you could put your veg out front. If you decide to sell you might have to reorganise it to make it more conventional looking, most people really don't like unconventional.

Agree about house in the corner of the site, it gives you a much bigger sweep of garden, and I think looks more interesting than the 'stuck in the middle of the plot' houses. Though even then the shape of the drive and tree planting can settle it into the landscape.

thanks guys, interesting ideas, agree re corner

Advertisement