Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What would you expect, they showed their true colours during Covid, basically the mouthpiece of the Governement.

Larry Donnelly is he still trying to pretend he is some bit objective ?

I'm very happy that RTE are showing a bit of balance when talking about Irish America .

It's not the usual default Irish America= Democrat.

Is this a joke ?

RTE are as blue as they come, Ireland would be one of the bluest states if it were part of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bewareofthedog

I went back to double check if I missed any Biden media interactions just to be thorough, and what do you know, I did. I've added it to the official spreadsheet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭HBC08

Maybe you can't see the difference between Tubridy desperately trying to find an Irish link to a confused looking Bruce Springsteen on the Late Late versus having the relationship Ireland has with the current president of the US.

We benefit hugely both directly and indirectly from this,as we do with the whole Paddies day thing.

People who can't understand this aren't worth explaining it to.

The fact that the man clearly loves Ireland and was genuinely moved at a lot of points shouldn't come into it......but it does for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Easy to be cynical about the saccharine nature of the last few days, but really, we have the President of the world's most powerful country on speed-dial. Between that and Brussels rowing in behind us on Brexit matters, that stuff really matters.

The US is Ireland's most important bilateral partner outside the EU, he was always going to get the gold-standard welcome from official Ireland and middle Ireland who just get it too.

Good showing and f the naysayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Correct. No interest myself but it would appear the majority of the country enjoyed the last few days. cheered most people up so that is a good thing. it's that Paul Murphy and the PBP crowd are the embarrassment, shower of wasters and moaners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

I've no problem with the man, its great he feels proud of his roots and we can count him as an allie. Just find the reaction to his visit odd, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not that odd if you consider that if you haven't got a relation in the US you almost certainly know someone who has.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭bnt

That clip of Biden falling off his bike: looks very familiar to anyone who’s tried clip-on cleats for the first time. You have to twist your foot to release the cleat, and if you’re not quick enough, that’s what happens. Ow.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Watching Sky News just there. The bitterness from their contributers (two conservative writers I think) is stunning. Basically he should be in the UK meeting Sunak because Ireland's not important. They really have taken this as a snub in some quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I was just about to post about this. The guy is the deputy editor of the conservative voice. He started by saying he has an Irish passport but you’d never catch any of him family ever displaying their background like Biden . Seen a tweet of him defending the Black and Tans. Would sicken you someone like that having an Irish passport when they obviously couldn’t give a shite about Ireland, probably only got because of brexit which he probably supported.

And the woman is editor of the mirror, she said I’m not going to begrudge them but then begrudged her heart out. This week has proven beyond doubt that large sections of the British right are the biggest sensitive snowflakes in the entire world. The jealousy and pettiness is off the charts. I don’t know how many times a US president visited the Uk and I never give it a thought. Mental stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do the darlings forget Biden already visited them during his term? June 13, 2021 Windsor Castle at the invitation of Her Late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II

But yes 'how dare he visit our neighbors, that offensive ratsnake bastard'

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

For days iv listened to various sources state that UK media is in meltdown for being snubbed. Iv seen very few examples. One maybe.

Over exaggerated maybe? Not long since he was there either

Then the only ones giving a toss are your CPAC types like Nigel Farage just stirring up their usual bull for clicks and controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

I believe the clip I saw was of farage too. He seems to be the only one and he is just using it as an opportunity to grift . Does anyone else in the UK media, political or public actually care ?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

No problem with Biden visiting Ireland but the "pomp" from the Irish media has been frankly embarrassing. Looking at Larry Donnelly on RTE trying to not look like Larry King, but still at the same time trying to look like Larry King, says alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Greengrass53

Well done Joe. **** the begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Entrance like he's about to step in to the ring 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Thought biden came across v well,clearly love the place ,speech in ballina very good. Bit surprised at the english media reaction, way ott.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

never realised that biden had a stammer, probably explains his way of phrasing in some of the speeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Both Irish and American sides will be quite happy with how things went I think. From the Government's view they'll be happy that it passed off incident free and that naysayers decided to not turn up rather than be disruptive. They'll have been delighted that it's been all positive easy news all week, that a ceasefire broke out on domestic issues that will last probably until Monday. It's been a good week for them. Even Varadkar, who must have been a little nervous of the reception he might get from the crowd in Ballina for his Biden intro, was received politely. I have to say I'm glad Varadkar finally killed off the undocumented in the US issue with a long overdue public acknowledgement that a carve out for the Irish is not politically possible in the US, and that regularisation will be part of broader immigration reform (which is also not possible at the moment).

The Americans are probably happy enough. No major gaffes from the President and his slip in Louth has been largely forgotten. Those watching social media might have observed the memeification of the "lick the world" (it's a reference to an Irish play and could have done with being put into context) phrase he used in his Dublin Castle remarks - something that has already been twisted into "Crazy Joe, not fit for office anymore". They might not be entirely happy that his emotion at Knock was reported on either, though they can use that to show the human, father side of the man as well. That said WH press photography did release an emotional picture at the Hospice so maybe not.

They are probably most disappointed with the depth of coverage the visit has received at home. After the speech in NI, it's seemingly got little attention beyond "what the president does is newsworthy because he's the president", mentioned in passing and buried inside the papers. I think it was a missed opportunity not to at least obliquely reference re-election in Ballina as it would have sent the crowd into raptures, one of the easiest crowds he'll likely ever address.

It's been an easy week politically though for Biden, able to escape the Pentagon leaks fallout largely and receive "a welcome like a diety" as the Guardian put it. He looked at ease, energetic, and a man genuinely honoured by the whole occasion. It was lovely to witness it, we may never see the likes ever again.

I’d say Liz Truss is not happy?

Nah Musician Re: announcing in Ballina to a non American crowd you are running? Straight up Nah. The naming of that navy ship though was a nice announce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Lies lies and more lies.

We are expected to believe then that the US didnt blow up Nordstream 2, please.

Someone paid $8/month for Twitter so it must be true. After all they added a photo to their tweet so you know their opinion is pure canon.

The most credible evidence is that a Ukrainian special forces team did the deed. I recommend reading the German reporting on it (it's available in English). The Seymour Hersh article was uncorroborated tosh from a reporter dining-out on work he did half a century ago and in the media industry he doesn't get published any more as he's been known to concoct "sources".

And just as an addendum, it's been widely reported that there had been special forces from a number of Western countries in Ukraine since the outbreak of the war in an advisory capacity (in non-combat roles). That's not news at all and indeed not unusual in warfare - the USSR had military advisors in Vietnam for the entire duration of the war for instance.

Saw 2 vids from Beau about this today. The first was published yesterday, the latter from 5 months ago, referenced in the former.

Literally, Russia demanded oversight on US weapons in Ukraine - so we sent overseers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You have a problem with presidents who lie???? 😳😳😳

Advertisement