Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah I think you're downplaying it now.

Bellingham would be a huge signing. He's 19 years old and he's one of the very best in his position, he is proven quality at such a young age, that's a player you could build your midfield around for at least a decade, probably more. He is easily worth the price being floated around.

Signing Bellingham is literally all upside, upon arrival he'd immediately be the best midfielder at the club by a distance. There is no "better value" than Bellingham, there are just cheaper and lesser players.

It's clear the club have been courting him, it's clear we really wanted him. They haven't decided suddenly that he's too big a risk to sign, the problem is they have apparently just realised that years of under investment in the squad has left us high and dry and now we can't sign him. There's a huge difference.

Bellingham would be a Liverpool player in next season if we really wanted it, but we can't because they've got us into such a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

"There is no "better value" than Bellingham, there are just cheaper and lesser players."

Wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Players develop at different rates, and maybe this is a time to be a bit smarter than buying the biggest fanciest thing out there - which is what the club has tended to be quite good at. We're still clearly decent at recognising talent, with many of the midfielders we were most closely linked to last summer having been brilliant this season - the only failing was not pulling the trigger on them.

The one truth in football is there are always more amazingly brilliant footballers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We were linked with a lot of midfielders last year, some have since done very well, some haven't, apart from Tchouameni, we don't really know how close we were to signing any of them, or if we were really interested at all, the reality is no midfielder was signed despite there being great value out there, instead holding out for a player we were always likely to be outsiders to sign, with no CL next season, suddenly Bellingham is not part of the plans, the irony is that had we signed a decent midfielder last summer, we would likely have been able to secure CL football next season and stand a better chance of signing Bellingham this summer.

Personally I don't mind us not signing Bellingham, as where we are right now, we need 3 midfielders, signing Bellingham would mean we would be unlikely to sign any more midfielders, but, had the club been a bit more savvy last summer, they could easily be in a position to sign Bellingham if they wanted, instead they have made themselves and the club look very foolish and naive regarding Bellingham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm amazed at the clubs sudden change in tactic. We deliberately held out and waited to spent big money on Alison and VVD. Both of those had massive impacts on the team and we're huge signings. The club now suddenly saying that is a bad policy is quite strange. It smells tbh. The whole risk that Bellingham is a flop is if he is injured. That's it. He's clearly an exceptional talent and baring injury will be a massive asset for any club. As for 100m being too much, we spent £48m on Naby Kieta ffs. I'd much prefer one Bellingham than two Naby Keitas.

Spent 100m on Bellingham, play a full reverse team for the European league/conference (if we even make it) and play the kids for the csrling and fa cup. The quadruple run killed us last year. As much fun as it was, winning the carling Cup doesn't make up for the situation we are in now.

if we don't have the finances to compete with orher teams then we need to be prioritise about what competitions we compete for, not what players we sign.

100m won’t be close to enough for Bellingham, he’ll be more like 150m+.

And the truer comparison for a big spend on someone like VVD would be if we had no defence at all at that time, and shelled out on Virg, without having the money to fill all the other defensive spots as well.

a signing like Virg (or Bellingham) works better when it’s the final piece on top of a solid foundation. Our midfield right now is pretty much just a void that needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. I think Fabinho’s total and complete capitulation as a player a few years sooner than expected is a huge influence - he would have been planned on as the defensive shield for another 3 years at least. But that’s now a huge hole that needs to be filled asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What pisses me off the most that the reasoning put out there by the club of why they didn't buy an alternative to Tchouameni last summer was 'we would rather hold out and buy Bellingham next summer'. We are willing to risk having a crap year, because we get our man next summer and kick on again.

And now this crap of 'we can't get him now, it's not worth it'. Then why did you mess us all around for the past year.

I had thought that the midweek PR stuff was just noise and telling us to look one way while they did something else, but now Klopp towing the company line as they are too scared to put the sporting director or money man out to bat is very annoying. They are putting Klopp to the slaughter, again, instead. Klopp has spoken out about the need to buy midfielders multiple times. But when the push comes to the shove, he is then told to reel it back in and act all happy with what he has got, and when he gets a cheaper alternative instead. The alternative to Bellingham has to be 1 other superstar, not Mason Mount. With all due respect to Mount, he would be a very good signing IMO, alongside Jude, but instead of him is just a waste of time.

Bajcetic. Having him back will be like another new signing. 😂 we didn't have a defence at the time of signing VVD and Alison. They elevated those around them. That's what world class players do, they make everyone around them look far better. If he goes for £150m fair enough, but he won't. He will go for around £100m and the excuses will come thick and fast when that happens as well.

Also rebuilding from the ground up with one world class player is much better approach. If we had signed Bellingham last summer we'd be cruising to the top 4 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I could be wrong but don't think dortmund would sell last summer because they sold Haaland but agree with the rest of your post

Ah we had Matip, Gomez (when he was still a good CB), Trent, and Robertson there. We have absolutely no equivalents in the midfield right now. Bajcetic is a great squad option, but he really needs a top class DM at the club to allow him to grow instead of putting all the pressure on an 18 year old.

We desperately need 3 midfielders (probably 2 instant starters and a squad option). When Virg joined, we desperately needed one top tier defender to tie the other existing assets together.

You're not wrong that had we somehow bought Bellingham last summer (when he explicitly wasn't for sale) instead of, say, Darwin, we might well be in better shape, but we didn't/couldn't (I'd argue Enzo is a better one to mention, as he was actually available, and was being closely tracked). Under the circumstances that we're actually faced with right now, we need much more than 1 midfielder, so I understand finances being managed to not leave us with one rolls royce surrounded by a rake of ladas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Seemingly the embargoed part of the press conference this morning is very fiery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The standard of reporting and questions being asked at this press conference is atrocious in my opinion.

They do not get to main point of the transfer problems at the club and how the club have seriously dropped the ball in signing some decent midfielders.

"Klopp could leave Liverpool and join another club and spend the money there" **** amateurs...who in their right mind thought, "that was a good question."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Given the fall off in Fabhino I think three midfielders for 150m is better than Bellingham + a backup MF.

Would you rather Fabhino (from this season), Bellingham (130m) and one of Henderson/Thiago/Elliot/Back Up (20m) or Ndidi (30m), Mount (50m), McAlister (70m) with Henderson, Elliot, Fabhino and Thiago as backup?

The above are just examples but I'm sure there'll be plenty of names thrown out but three new players just stocks us better and makes sure we have better cover if we do get a few injuries.

And this is coming from someone who was banging the Bellingham drum three years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I trust Klopp and Co to identify an alternative to Bellingham , what I don't get is if Liverpool FC was a social media company owned by Elon Musk, he'd have 100m supporters paying in 10 pound a months, for a 'RED TICK'' , we'd then have 1 billion a month to spend on players.

We have fan power, but it's not harnessed .

Musk buys twitter '' hmmm I think I'll charge people 8$ a month for a blue tick'' boom he now earns enough to pay for a Bellingham. Not Rocket Science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

No. Just no.

if we end up in the position of begging your average fella on the street to donate money so a rich club can pay another rich club a huge fee for a rich footballer, then we should really wind the whole thing up.

literally the last place people should be looking to give charity in their lives is to a wealthy profitable top tier football club.

I was so set on Jude that it's hard to pick the 3 other guys but it is probably the more sensible option this summer, reluctantly, like yourself. Last summer was a different story.

It being 3 guys, at least 2 have to bang and be great. That's double the risk.

They don't have to bang, they need to run and press and be able to make short passes 😁

Running certainly is a start! 😁

On your earlier point, I'm actually willing to give Fabinho the benefit of doubt and give him another season before completely writing him off. Even in the recent years prime team, he used to look tired in games, especially after March. He is getting exposed a lot this season. But at times, he has recovered some good performances or big 45 mins. For example having Fabinho Jude Mount is actually a strong midfield with plenty legs. or even a Fabinho Jude Thiago. Lots of control there for the correct game. But then having Fabinho Hendo Mount gets exposed and Fabinho Hendo Thiago gets more exposed than this season. Put the base in front of Fabinho and I am willing to give him a shot at another year. Maybe it's foolish but to be fair, these players deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt with the amount of effort that they have given the shirt. The key here is that it is Jude + Mount, and not just Mount. It falls apart if it is just Mount.

But this is very risky also.

I don't have the 3 players to pick, but for arguments sake, I will say Mount, Caicedo and the Ugarte lad from Sporting. 1 unknown and unproven player with potential, 1 who burst onto the PL scene this season and 1 very good PL player & CL winner. Lots of energy. But is the quality there? How will they handle the step up? How will they gel? Will they still need Hendo to start every 2nd game for the first 6 months and so on. I know it's hindsight but both MacAllister or Enzo last summer come in and completely change the team. For a fraction of what they themselves would cost this summer, but also a fraction of what the other players will cost this summer. Maybe taking the risk is what it is needed. Plenty of our big signings that were successes in recent years were risks - Gini, Robbo, Salah, and to a degree VVD & Mane too. Fabinho had that couple of years of CL football behind him, so we can equate that to Mount, Gini to Caicedo perhaps but Caicedo is more risky. Ugarte would be like Enzo in terms of experience. Is he ready to explode? Diaz, Nunez and others were ready to explode from Potugal in recent years, but plenty others have been too like Bruno, Ederson, Dias etc so perhaps he is the next one to give a go to. This is where we need Michael Edwards big brain to tell us 'I got this'!

That's why I'm suggesting someone like Ndidi (seems to be over his injuries) who should be available cheaply if Leicester go down. He can come in and replace Fabhino or they can rotate and ensure Fabhino gets rested and Ndidi isn't over used.

Or go 4-2-3-1 with two of Ndidi, Fabhino, Thiago in the two and then Mount, Henderson, Elliot or Carvahlo in the 10 spot. Gakpo or Nunez up top and Salah RW and Diaz LW.

That doesn't even allow for two other MFs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's very important that while the club acknowledge the need for a midfield overhaul in the summer, we also really need to sign another centre back in the same window or we're going to be having a very familiar conversation this time next year.

We only have Ibou to rely on, there are question marks above all the others (though I expect a better VVD next season). No matter how much we strengthen the midfield over the coming months, if we don't bring in another CB then we better pray that Konate stays fit for 95% of next season or we're not moving up the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Out

Milner

Firmino

Ox

Matip

Adrian

Keita

Gomez

Williams

Philips

Jones

Melo

Jota ( no league goal in over a year wtf)

Fair to say all these will be 100% gone this summer. Explains why we can't spend 150m on Jude, as if we did we'd not be able to fill the bench for games. We need 12 players this summer, not one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Both of you seem to be big Bellingham fans. Can I ask if you watch him play regularly? I have a feeling that you don't. Mainly because you would have seen that he has been average for quite a while now. He has the odd good game but is only ok mostly. Are you impressed because of his age? Maybe he's overplayed at 19 and that could explain his form, i'm not sure. To me, forking out that much money on potential is way too risky. Most young players with potential don't make it to world class and for £100 plus, you'd want to be guaranteed that he'll be world class. But it doesn't work that way.

Gomez was never a good CB and Robertson and Trent have always been poor defensively. Matip is fine when he has a world class player to guide him, he struggles without one though. My point was the a player like Bellingham makes a team competitive even when surrounded by ladas.

We went from having multiple world class players last season to only having one next season (Alisson). Trent and Robertson have potential to reach those heights again, but they need world class players around them to get there. The owners are the problem, and there lack of ambition. It's what has turned this team into one competing for EL places.

Sorry, but to me that midfield three is just depressing tbh. We certainly shouldn't be signing another sick note like Ndidi. We have plenty of those at the club already. As I said above, a midfielders three like that just shows how badly we are regressing. Mount plays for a team who are about to finish midtable and he struggles to get his game for them.

Decent squad player, he will never be world class and doesn't have that potential.

Seen him for England and Dortmunds CL game. The potential is clearly there and he has already put in performances of that calibre for England and Dortmund. When a player has played to a high potential you aren't paying for potential in my mind. At 19 he won't be perfect obviously, consistency, strength and stamina are all things he will improve on as he gets older. I'm impressed because I can't think of many 19 year old who have performed like he has in big games against excellent opposition. Can you?

I'm extremely confident he will be world class, baring injury.

• Advertisement

Ndidi gas been very good again this season and looks to be over his injuries. He's a brilliant DM and he also provides plenty of flexibility as ha can play CB to a high standard as well.

Mount has been dropped because he's refusing to sign a new 7 year contract. He had been playing very well earlier this season and he will give our midfield that pressing ability it's badly missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Dortmund are deliberately looking for players they know they can sell for crazy money to the EPL rich boys. And they seem to focus on young talent that are standouts in terms of their athleticism. Jadon Sancho looked flashy and athletic in that Dortmund team, just like Bellingham, but then flopped in the EPL... I'm not convinced by Bellingham any more than I was by Sancho. I think he's overrated, and definitely overpriced. It's mostly his athleticism that stands out over anything else.

I remember saying something similar about Pogba, before united forked out a small fortune for him too. I wasn't convinced by his all round ability, just mostly his outstanding physical characteristics.

I think Klopp can find young players with good athletic attributes, without needing to pay ridiculous money for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Pogba had all the ability to be the best midfielder in the world but his effort and attitude stank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

"Gomez was never a good CB and Robertson and Trent have always been poor defensively."

We won the title and had the best defensive record in the league with all 3 of them starting basically every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Think he means up to the point we bought Vvd and I would agree with him. Neither Gomez nor Matip produced anywhere near their best until Vvd arrived to partner them. Trent was only breaking in to the team and Robertson wasn't long in the team. It's not like any of them were operating at the level we would later see of them until the arrival of Vvd. The arrival of Vvd certainly brought the level of performances of the rest of the back four up. Rebel's post suggests his arrival completed the back four but it did more. It completed the back four but also brought the level of the back four up as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

How anyone thought the midweek pr stuff was noise was baffling ..... It's 💯 where we are. To be fair it's not as cringe worthy as bringing VVD to the fairground but at least we got him in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Why do you think the club got the message out there? What was their goal?

If you think that was due to the excellent individual defensive talents of those three players then fair enough, we will agree to disagree on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

There's nothing individual about winning a league title, it's about having good players all over the pitch which we had, including those 3 defenders.

Presumably after the bid was rejected they felt the need to get some message out.

Robertson and Trent were excellent, but it nothing to do with their defensive side of the game. As I said, trent being classed as being good defensively is the first time I've seen that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I can't see any positive in it. No one's happy now. Klopp getting angry in press conferences.

Indeed, makes the club look quite amateurish which is not at all the case. They do nuts things with transfers though.

He's 26 and only twice in his career has in played more than 40 games in a season. He's only started 15 games this season in the PL. Given Klopps style of palyee signing him would be a crazy decision tbh. We need to learn not to sign people with poor injury records to play in a team that plays in the most physical deamdning style there is in football.

£50m and £250k per week for someone who can run around alot. No thanks. Hes never been a stsnd out plsyer in that Chelsea team snd its a team who havent ever really challenged for the title either. Look Mount isn't a terrible player but he's never going to be anything other than a good player. Is he miles better than Harvey Elliot? Better, but I don't think the difference is worth what it is going to cost for him. Again, if we had Mount in our team this year I don't think we'd be that far off were we already are. He's not a game changer and he doesn't even have that potential either.

• Advertisement

Your whole point relies upon the current midfield options being as good at their respective roles as Matip, Trent, and Robertson are, only needing one talismanic player to come in and elevate everything else. I just do not see that at all. We need 3 midfielders between starters and depth. Desperately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Naby Keita was one of the best midfielders in Germany before we signed him just like Bellingham is now. There is no guarantee that Bellingham will set the world alight in the prem if/when he arrives.

Yup, there's never a guarantee of anything in football. Pogba was seen as a sure thing going back to Utd, breaking the British record in the process, and we all know how that worked out. And sure poor auld Arthur was one of the brightest prospects in the world at Barca a few years ago. Now, Bellingham does seem to have quite a decent temperament, but you never know how injuries will creep into some of these ultra athletic uber-kids.

The odds are in his favour for sure though. A great addition to a good team, but wouldn't seem too wise to throw all the eggs into that one basket if that's the way the finances look, especially as his cost seems to keep shooting upwards.

Lol. Sure there's no guarantee of anything, so why bother signing any new player if that's the hot take. Let's just rely on the academy players coming through and keep the money in the pocket.

It doesn't. My point that good players like Matip, Gomez, Robertson and Trent can look extremely average when they don't have world class players around them. Your policy of not signing world class players and signing players who don't even have that potential is going to place us in the exact same position we are next season.

We are jow a team devoid of serious talent, buying more player devoid on serious talent isn't going to solve that problem.

...at no point did I suggest that we only go buy players who have no potential to be top class. That would be insane.

My point was that if we only have enough money to either buy one very very expensive very very famous high profile player, or multiple lower profile players that HAVE huge potential based on the clubs pretty decent scouting (we've done this before a whole bunch), that I entirely understand the latter approach given our present needs.

The point made is fairly clear - that player market is only a good idea if you can afford it. Man City for instance can afford to spend huge amounts on individual players, and if any of them don't work out, that's grand. Spunking your entire budget on one player when you need much more than one player is obviously far more risky, and puts far more pressure than is necessary for that one player to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

There is no guarantee we will get our lower profile targets either. It will certainly be interesting to find out who those players are. I am not exactly excited by Mount or Ndidi who have been mentioned in the last few pages. Have either massive potential yet to be unlocked?

Very few of the players mentioned have huge potential though. Also, our track record is now not looking so peachy. Again, the lack of elite talent is causing a highlighting that. Unless VVD is in word class form our defenders look average. Unless Salah is in world class form, our strikers look average. Unless Fabinho’s in world class form our midfield look average.

We need to qualify for CL next season. That has to be the only target ans everything should be driven towards that. Buying midfielders who can't perform at an elite level very quickly are going to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wouldn't let Jota go. We'd b down to four players for three positions.

Probably not Matip either, Joe can go if Ramsey is fit.

We should draw up a first XI and bench once those players leave to just to highlight how badly we need bodies now rather than one marquee signing.

Hell, Jude and two fine midfielders would be brilliant but we aren't spending 250m, especially after spending 130m on forwards.

Advertisement