Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Two Brothers by Jonathan Wilson.

About Bobby and Jack Charlton, very well written and interesting book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: The Mavericks Who Plotted Hitler's Defeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

A gangster's guide to sobriety by Richie Stevens - it's brilliant and more than a little scary how far you can slip.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Have to disagree with this tbh, I absolutely loved the first 2 books, they're just fascinating reads and so well written, so many little details from the time period. Aubrey and the Doctor are 2 great characters. I might just plough through all 20 of them after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,461 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Ship Beneath the Ice: The Discovery of Shackleton's Endurance by Mensun Bound

I am absolutely obsessed with Shackleton and was so elated when it was announced in early 2022 that his ill-fated Endurance was found in exemplar condition at the bottom of the Antarctic, I was so excited to see the pictures taken by the expedition crew. So when I heard that the man responsible for this amazing feat was writing a tell-all book I had to immediately preorder it.

Part 1 of the book deals with the failed 2019 expedition which featured as an episode on the season 1 Lawrence Fishbourne narrated "Histories Greatest Mysteries" (which I highly recommend watching). Part 2 is dedicated to the successful Endurance22 expedition launched in February 2022. Along with his fascinating narrative on day-to-day events, which is delivered in a daily diary form, Bound also links his unfolding story to that of Shackleton, the Endurance and her crew.

The book features some stunning shots of the Endurance from her final resting place by the cutting edge submersible employed for this groundbreaking discovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

'Tender is the flesh' -Agustina Bazterrica, a dystopian novella about a special meat eating Argentininan society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,461 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Murder Most Local: Historic Murders of North Cork by Peter O'Shea

I have now gotten through 4 out of the 5 books in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

In book related news Amazon are shutting the Book Depository website at the end of the month. That’s a real pity as it was a great site for obscure / out of print titles at low prices.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was heartbroken when they sold to Amazon... this is the final nail on the coffin. Sorry to see them go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

Anyone heard of or use Wob.com?

They seem to have free shipping in Ireland and have lots of used stock at good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've used them before, but the prices weren't anything to write home about. Also, the quality of the books didn't always match the description - e.g., I got some "like new" books, one was perfect, almost like it had just been taken off the shelf, the others (pop-up books) had moving parts missing or ripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I just finished the man eating leopard of rudraprayag by Jim Corbett. A fascinating true story. Highly recommend it. Anyone into nature, hunting would be glued to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

That's a shame. It was a great website for books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭indioblack

I'm struggling through AC McGrath's "Through a Glass Darkly". It's how he "moved from atheism to faith". For me it should have been re-titled "Through a Book Darkly". I'm about three quarters into the book and so far I guess he's saying that science is uncertain and so is faith - but he finds the latter more comforting.

I wish he'd used one chapter to simply chart some basic nuts and bolts explanations as to how he move from one line of thinking to another. I'm beginning to feel a bit stupid - there's probably a whole bunch of reasoning I'm missing.

So much of the book is taken up with his journey through academia in Ireland and England. So he's very, [very], clever and he's done well. OK. But all I'm getting is that he's moved from one vaugueness to a more acceptable vagueness.

I found myself skipping paragraphs and then pages, wishing that he would get to the point, [since the blurb on the cover focusses on his transition from an atheist to a believer].

I'll travel on to the end of this book and probably come to the conclusion that I'm a bit to thick to grasp what he's written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭megaten

Real annoyed by this, foudn them handy becuase it can be hard for irish bookstores to preorder a book unless its already on their wholesalers system. Heard blackwell's in the UK mentioned as an alternative? I also use Kennys.ie which ahs free delivery has a good enough selection as irish book selleers go.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

Dougla Murrays - The madness of crowds, very concise and rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭pavb2

I’d also recommend The Bounty Trilogy fascinating stuff, and yes Blighs journey when they were cast adrift doesn’t seem very widely known.

Batavia’s Graveyard by Mike Dash is quite shocking.

Not entirely a seafaring story but the true story, The Voyage of the Catalpa about six Irish rebels escape from the penal colonies in Australia is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

For anyone interested in the Bounty, John Boyne's Mutiny on the Bounty is a very funny fictionalised take on it told from the perspective of Bligh's cabin boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

To tell the truth , I haven’t read a book in a long while , though I seem to be collecting a little library to keep me busy when I get decent reading glasses .

latest one comprises my two main interests , books on Republican figures and history .

The Dream of the Celt is about Roger Casement and his time and experiences as a British diplomat in Southern Africa and South America , and his change from being a loyal unionist to being a leader of The Easter Rising . I imagine it’s something like a literary ‘The Motorcycle Dairies’

Currently re-reading The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker. It's a retelling of the Iliad from Briseis' perspective. Will probably go straight on and re-read The Women of Troy afterwards. Must go to the library and get myself some new stuff. Can't afford to buy books at the moment.

• Advertisement

I must get a new library card . There's books I want to reread. 2 are ‘bringing ou the dead’ by John Connelly ( a great book but crap film ) and ‘ The Big Nowhere’ by James Ellroy . I still remember when reading that and one of the main protagonists dies and I was shocked.

I was like "I've read all John Connolly's books and I've never heard of that". Googled it, the author is Joe Connelly, not John 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I enjoyed both the book and the film. You see the book incorrectly filed under ‘Irish Fiction’ from time to time.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Sorry . Joe Connely , my bad . Its a long time since I read it. Good book though 😊

I didn’t like the film at all . It’s kind of the same with every book I’ve read that’s dramatised. I have my own notions of what it’s like . And Nicolas Cage being in it didn’t help . The only one I liked was Lord of the Rings .

The Green Mile? Stand By Me?? The Shawshank Redemption???

I’ve never read those books. I don’t think I’ve ever read a Steven King book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

LA confidential is the follow up to The Big Nowhere. Definitely worth checking out.

iv read it and the black daliha . But I thought the big nowhere was the best . Ellroy has some outlook into LA , probably because of what happened to his mother .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just starting A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole it’s readable but at this early stage seems a bit quirky.

I’ve just finished Fingersmith Sara Waters and enjoyed it though it draws criticism for the:

Convoluted plot and same story told from two different points of view

Advertisement