Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirewave and the Future of Irish Radio: Embracing Change for Quality Programming and Open Markets

Options
  • 15-04-2023 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone,

I recently learned that Eirewave, a radio station that previously operated in Ireland online, has made a move to Belfast in order to broadcast their programs in the UK o DAB+. It's interesting to see a station with potential not gaining much success in Ireland and choosing to venture across the border. This raises questions about the reasons behind such a move. Do any of you have insights or thoughts on this matter?

I've noticed that some radio stations in Ireland, like 8Radio.com, struggle with limited broadcasting time, only being able to broadcast a few days per year. It's frustrating to see our local stations facing such challenges when it comes to providing quality programming to their listeners. Perhaps it's time for a change in approach.

Perhaps it's time for traditional radio stations to rethink their approach by eliminating the lengthy 15-minute breaks per hour. By doing so, they could save costs and adapt to the changing landscape by transitioning to DAB+ broadcasting, which may result in reduced income.

I think it's important for us to support and promote our radio stations in Ireland and encourage them to stay and thrive in our country. Let's work towards a future where our radio stations can provide quality programming, attract more listeners, and contribute to the vibrant media landscape in Ireland.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They seem to be a UK operation. They are in England and Scotland on DAB. Have they any connection with Ireland? Their online output would be available worldwide, not just in Ireland.

https://www.eirewave.co.uk/how-to-listen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The OP says:

I've noticed that some radio stations in Ireland, like 8Radio.com, struggle with limited broadcasting time, only being able to broadcast a few days per year. 

I don't get that statement in the case of 8Radio.com. It has a schedule of programmes all year round, and, as it happens, it is currently running on a temporary license over weekends in Dublin.

Eirewave has gone through various phases/guises over the years. There have been previous threads about it on Boards.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058041906/eirewave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

IIRC they used to have an all-Irish format but I believe that is no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Neither the commercial operators or the BAI have any interest in promoting DAB. Leaving aside new cars where DAB has become standard, I can’t see Joe Public rushing to buy new receivers unless there’s a worthwhile offering to listen to. The days of plugging a box in the corner of the room and faffing about with a telescopic aerial are all but gone unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EmileD

Actually, I came across an article on RadioToday, dated from 2017, in which Simon Maher expresses his belief that 8Radio.com would greatly benefit from obtaining a full-time license. But things can change in 6 years 😀

Is 8Radio preparing to apply to the BAI for a full-time licence?

We would love 8Radio.com to get itself a full-time licence but only time will tell if that happens. Unlike 10 years ago, the ballgame has changed completely. Whereas with Phantom, the only game in town was the BAI, now the BAI are just one player in the market. We get the lions share of our audience online and that’s most likely where they will always be from now on because that’s where our target audience consume Radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 NiallCork1

It may be time for traditional radio stations to reconsider their approach by eliminating lengthy 15-minute breaks per hour. This could help them save costs and adapt to the changing landscape by transitioning to DAB+ broadcasting, which may result in reduced income. One example of a radio station that has taken a different approach is Eirewave, which is an ad-free station but is open to sponsorship, partnerships, and new ways of monetizing the station. It's certainly a time to rethink the business model for radio stations as the world changes. In the UK, all new cars have been mandated to have DAB+ radios for a few years now, so there is no need to purchase a new device. Hybrid listening, with DAB+ in the car and internet at home, is becoming increasingly popular in different countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

In general yes smaller stations have been hampered from getting licences always. Community stations are very restricted on power and move frequencies for no reason when told.

Commercial stations were mainly chosen based on how many jobs they would provide and many now play the same run of the mill middle of the road music.

The news requirement at the top of the hour and a minimum amount of talk content also hampers creativity.

Broadcasting costs, licence fees, temporary licenses, and various rules all hamper new entrants.

Existing stations don't want competition and with many stations merged there is less independent radio.

Phantom while not ground breaking was a good somewhat alternative station, unfortunately the costs exceeded income.

I could see a proper low cost approach for different music styles and a say 3 year licence with reduced talk could have potential. Many stations repeat their talk shows in the middle of the night to boost thier talk statistics and reduce daytime talk. However I expect the existing stations to resist this, jobs are on the line and advertising revenue will only be split more across more stations. Much of the advertising revenue has gone online these days meaning the big brands no longer are willing to pay for radio advertising as the core youth and early twenties markets no longer listen to radio on FM. The sheer amount of ads on radio is annoying where there is so many ad free alternatives, and those text in to win competitions really drive me away from radio.

Advertisement