Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, totally throwaway bit of marketing, but I laughed so 🤷‍♀️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, this is limping. $125 million worldwide so any hope for a sequel seems hopeful at best. Such a shame because this really was a fun, refreshing blast of soemthing coherent and engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Enjoyed that. Gave me the feel of an old school adventure movie but also had old school CGI, a significant amount of it was very poor. Nice to see a few Irish locations used.

Didn't realise it was doing so badly but can completely understand. Despite the likely huge amount spent on advertising (it was everywhere) I was very cautious about going to it due to not knowing anything about DnD. I can imagine many didnt want to risk it so feel it will likely do better when it comes to streaming when people give it a chance - can see it being a go to family movie.

They likely should have spent some of the marketing budget telling people they don't need to know DnD to enjoy it or just taking DnD out of the title. I know they're stuck between a rock and a hard place not to annoy fans but seems like a waste for a good movie. It is nothing like the situation with Marvel characters, as the initial characters that went on the big screen were known beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just out from cinema, definitely 8/10 and liked that alot. Film and characters definitely had a charm that can be missing in these films. Would like to see a sequal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

An absolute blast. I loved it.

This is one of the things I was coming here to ask about so I guess that confirms it is them.

So it it is struggling at the box office. A damn pity. I was aware that there is people who are saying they live it and that there is positive reviews and for some reason I mistook that for it being a smash hit. I would really love to see more.

The showrunner for the tv series said it wouldn’t be connected to the movie but I also read that Paramount are saying it is. Which is true?

What was the Edgin doppelgänger made from? Was it a creature or was it mud brought to temporary life? Is it something that was shown earlier in the movie?

• Advertisement

I suspect when it hits streaming it'll do quite well 'cos word-of-mouth will have generated enough goodwill & curiousity - but at the box office it has become certified bomb, which is a damn shame. There's a small - very small - chance this persists in cinemas for a few more weeks / months and chips away at the gross. But those days of films living for months are long gone with only extreme exceptions like Top Gun: Maverick; chains will want to clear the schedules for the encroaching summer material.

Re. connectivity, I'd say both viewpoints are true, and neither are. There was that fun cameo of what looked like the original characters, but that felt more like an easter egg for long-time fans rahter than any confirmation of crossover.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

As a more general point , I dont think any kind of medieval style film can break the box office these days , the last duel , The Northman etc. even if they were near perfect movies will tend to have a capped peak. It seems like a genre more suited to TV. D&D was just too expensive, 30m should have been their budget not 150m then it would have been a successful film

Post edited by silverharp on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's an interesting question about the existing fanbase and whether they would have gone to see the film at all - Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast (the original company that created & published D&D), and attempted to pull an extremely stupid but Very Corporate USA move around the licencing at the start of the year. The fanbase response was very strong, enough that Hasbro/WotC abandoned the changes.

This is probably not the only challenge the film faced, but it can't have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought the red witch wizard undead villain was played by Fairuza Balk, but not, very much looked like her

• Advertisement

My sister’s kids would love it but it is a damn awkward time for me to take them.

How did it do here in Ireland? The Easter holidays must surely have helped.

I didn’t mean to suggest a crossover - just that when the group appeared I was certain the were dressed like the kids in the old cartoon and was looking here to see if I was right.

I thought she was Sophia Lilis and when Doric appeared as Sophia Lilis I thought she must be playing twins until she went to spy on the vault door.

The actress is Anthony Head’s daughter, Daisy.

I was scrolling YouTube for cast interviews and decided to see what Kermode thought of it - not a fan of critics but he is at least funny at times.

Anyways it was mentioned that his friends kid lives for D&D and told him that one of the guys behind Vox Machina and Critical Role gave it high praise. That lead me to becasue about the fan base and it all seems mostly positive - though I didn’t spend more than a couple of minutes on it so don’t take it as bible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

After viewing it, the film was enjoyable. The characters seemed to gell well, the CGI & set design were excellent (better than Amazon's LOTR effort) and the story mostly flowed almost without hiccup. I liked (having played one online) the way the paladin character was portraited, straight but with a repectful humour. Deserves a sequel.

$157 million worldwide after this weekend; man it's a horror show. Opening this around the Mario movie should surely get someone fired TBH?

Digital release coming tomorrow, 2nd of May; presumably appearing on the high seas about 2 hours after that.

Bloody idiotic decision. What were they thinking. This would have had fantastic summer legs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched it for the second time tonight and it's a really good movie. What a shame it is unlikely to get a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Now on paramount+

Still saddens me it underperformed so badly in the cinema. No it's not best in class, but a great romp and managed to ace the ingredients of the fantasy genre that often elude other films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It did $208 million worldwide so by all accounts a massive bomb IIRC; while audience response was broadly positive, unless this has been a hit on digital I'd say Wizards of the Coast will take the hit and forget cinematic adaptations for another 20 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Such a pity, great film. Really enjoyable but maybe only if your into the subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I knew it didn’t do amazing but I didn’t realise it was so low.

screening was packed where I saw it and it was in the second week.

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭McFly85

Considering how phenomenally well Baldurs Gate 3 is doing, it’s a shame that the release didn’t follow that, being in the cinema while D&D is at the forefront of video games could’ve helped boost the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Kids under 18 arent into D&D generally, so if you arent exciting that market youre going to face headwinds, its just a movie that falls between a lot of stools. Or their marketing failed to generate any interest independently.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Those playing Baulders Gate went to the cinema to watch DnD

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Finally saw this and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pity it didn't do better but I wonder if it did enough for one of the streamers to pick it up as a series? They do love an "oven ready" franchise

Advertisement