Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Glasgow have more wins, so now they are guaranteed at least 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

it goes by matches won, so Glasgow (12) cannot be overtaken by Munster (9)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

That makes sense and is reasonably positive for Connacht given they have same number of wins currently as Munster.

If Stormers win and keep Munster from picking up any points then Connacht will have a huge chance of overtaking Munster.

A win tomorrow for Connacht would put them level with Munster with Connacht ahead by 1 game won more than Munster. A TBP win would put Connacht ahead by a point. Glasgow wouldn’t be able to move up or down from 4th so they would surely put out their second string and focus on their away Challenge Cup semi-final the following week against Scarlets.

Big big opportunity now tomorrow, biggest game for Connacht in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

Think Connacht will replace Munster in 5th this weekend

• Advertisement

Cardiff's form all over the place but they've shipped a few heavy losses at home this season so the game is there to be won. Still a lot to be decided the final two weeks - will be cheering for ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Cardiff are a bit like us; look a proper team on their day but can have days they look awful.

Hoping this evening is one of their bad games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Today is a fantastic chance to convert some casuals into regular match-going supporters too. So many offices seem to be heading in today. I hope we don't **** the togs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think this exactly why the new stand is going to be crucial in taking Connacht to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Results elsewhere couldn't have been worse for us, need to take care of our own end now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Connacht keep it simple here and they will rack up a big score. Cardiff don't want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Why are some of the RTE commentators pronouncing it 'Mur-RAY'?

Really excellent, focused half. No silly errors, tidy restarts, and took our chances when they came. Halfbacks have been excellent and are completely dominating the kicking game. Discipline excellent with the exception of two needless penalties from bundee, Hansen bailed him out after the second one with some excellent presence of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

Some lovely rugby being played by Connacht. Try bonus point by half time.

Great half. Would recommend about 14 of the 15 minutes are spent focused on how often Connacht have squandered leads like this, sometimes losing and sometimes just hanging on. Can’t afford to give Cardiff a sniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Connacht have been great and well deserving of the victory, but if you're a Cardiff fan you'd be furious with your players. So many 'coach killers' out there today. Priestland missing touch from a penalty near the Connacht 22. Then knocking on one metre from the try line with no-one in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Delighted for Marmion.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Lot to like tonight.

Bundee was good but Kilgallon player of the match for me.

Simple thing I really liked; restarts! Catch it, set up a decent angle and then boot the thing out. Nothing complex but gets the job done!

So win/draw/2 losing bps should seal European qualification in Glasgow (aside from risk from Challenge cup winners being Scarlets/Treviso but hopefully one of favourites Toulon/Scarlets get it done). Potential for Leinster/Munster to do a favour beforehand but wouldn’t really expect it, Leinster fortunate enough today fielding very young team to be fair and if they play as poorly next week, they won’t get back in the game. Munster are locked into 5th spot and could make a raft of changes against a Sharks team that need the win.

Would have this spot a couple of months ago so hopefully they can finish the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Munster aren't guaranteed 5th spot... Connacht could jump ahead of them if they beat Glasgow and Munster lose. And also the Bulls could leapfrog Munster as well.

True and I suppose technically there is a minute chance they could miss europe too, though it would take Munster getting nothing, Connacht winning, Bulls getting five points and Scarlets/Treviso to win the challenge cup.

I still wouldn’t like to be relying on their results but I suppose they can’t take foot totally off pedal.

Leinster are obviously number 1.

I reckon Ulster will win easily next week and secure 2nd spot.

I think Connacht will beat a second string Glasgow side, Glasgow should be saving themselves for their Challenge Cup semi-final.

Munster are a totally unknown quantity for next weekend. If they win, it might set it up for Quarters like this:

QF1 Leinster V Sharks

QF2 Ulster V Bulls

QF3 Stormers V Connacht

Q4 Glasgow V Munster

Semis Potentially like this:

SF1 Leinster V Munster

SF2 Ulster V Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im in a whatsapp group with a few galway lads....when Galway Hurling seniors are going well, not a word on it....when they are dogshìt, the thing is hopping, the battery would be worn out.....

This thread reminds me of that!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sharks finishing 8th and winning the URC could mean that 7th place misses out on Europe too. I don't think Munster will take anything for granted and will go full force next week. They can rest players when the European semi final is on (and they aren't playing).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

Nice moment tonight was to stay behind as many did to thank all our players who were leaving. And all the other players hung around to say thanks to the fans. Great evening

The host broadcaster allways has a bit of leeway to put the best story in front of camera. Bundee tonight, whoever's in the news, exciting backs on debut, players who give good quotes on mic, etc.

From what I hear Bundee rewarded them with an f-bomb so they won't be able to reuse some of it. 🤣

As for all the discussion of permutations, the team can forget about them. Just go out to win next week and we'll get whatever reward we deserve at full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BleedGreen

Because that's how it's pronounced, has been clarified a few times already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

One advantage for Connacht next week, potentially, is that they will know the deal before playing Glasgow because that game is on after every other. So the permutations will have played out, and they will know what’s needed.

Advertisement