Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That's true, I suppose it may collapse in on itself before then. I hope so!

I don't agree with him either (if I am correct that he believes the authoritarian isolationist right in the US is going to "win" that stuggle over next few years + gain power, at a federal govt. level anyway).

I have just been thinking over the last while that he will use Twitter as a tool to support them and win favour so he can be in a good position to be advising and whispering in ears (as well as making lots of money) when they take over the country (as one of a kind of class of US plutocrat/oligarch "friends" of what will likely be an extremely corrupt govt. ala worst of the Trump era, or exceeding that)!

That's what the changes are about, trying to make it "their" social media platform and set the correct atmosphere (perhaps another part of the right's "noise machine" in the US as I think it has been called).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think it's as complex as that. I think it's as simple as Musk is a rích, mouthy asshole that the... I dunno, conservative, broadly right-adjacent & social contrarians love. There has been this longstanding conspiracy that social media is controlled by "liberals" with some bias going on punishing those not towing a line (well, insofar as "bias against díckheads" can be considered a bias); the initial posts here after Musk's purchase of Twitter and subsequent firings were positively orgasmic that the "blue haired brigade" were being given the heave-ho; or gleefully posting tweets of women leaving Twitter (that weren't part of content or moderation departments, just women leaving/getting the sack). Here comes Big Brain Musk to give Twitter back to the boys.

Elon Musk is the poster-child for those with Victim Complex, and wouldn't read more into it than that. Mostly down to, as said, the fact Musk is an opinionated, rich ásshole who can say what he wants without consequence, coupled with whatever weird compulsion urges him to be so irrationally performative. And if not that specifically, has his own conspiratorial thoughts re. Russia, CoVid or whatever that other fringe groups love. He has become a lightning rod by dint of the fact he coincidentally possesses various opinions beloved of those railing against "woke" or the inescapable zeitgeist some would reject as predominant. All the while ignoring any aspects that mightn't vibe with that perception.

To whit: I wonder if those cheering about Musk "winning" the interview, noticed he admitted he voted for Biden? Oops. Nobody's perfect I guess.

Close to half the country voted for Mr Trump in the last US election, Mr Musk said, but he added: "I wasn't one of them. I voted for Biden."

In another part of the interview, he defended ending a Twitter ban on Mr Trump who had been removed in 2021 when the platform accused him of inciting violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

To be fair COVID showed us who the real authoritarians are. It ain't the right.

The left wanted people banned, shunned,fired, made examples of, locked up etc if they didn't go along with the virus fear fest.

The right were like meh il wear a mask if I want, il get a Vax if I want etc

Remember when the real authoritarians showed themselves . Example:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/05/cnn-fires-employees-covid-unvaccinated-office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Thanks, maybe am overthinking it (...!) and as I said I don't use Twitter much at all. May as well expand...

Have been reading about him showing his belly for Xi and praising of the Chinese "system" that lets him make money there, while he heaps scorn and abuse on current democratic US govt. and its useless regulators who all conspire to stymie profits etc.

Also the whole very disturbing vaguely pro Russia positions he has taken on Ukraine war, use of the technology he owns to press US defence dept. into giving him more money.

I think it's indicative of someone who really quite likes authoritarianism and corruption (as he's a sort of Superman/God King high above the rest of the plebs that are made miserable under such systems), thinks a lot more of it in the US would be just excellent for him and for business/profits and increase his ability to attach his companies to the gushing US govt. milk teat (biggest udder in the world). The US right are most likely to deliver all that.

He doesn't need to care what anyone thinks about him at all, or who leaves Twitter or doesn't order a Tesla if the US govt. is a corrupt managed democracy with dodgy "elections" and he's a connected "friend".

Nice re write of history there, the US right wing nuts were not "meh", the virus broke their brains (and brains of alot of people around the world!). Probably for rest of my life every time someone mentions it (Covid), donkeys like you will pop up start and wailing about the "muzzles" and the "medical fascists" etc. Please go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

We all remember who the authoritative goose steppers were and it wasn't the right.

You acknowledge this by not offering any retort backed by example. "Please go away". We all remember

Heres another example:

All of the democrats voted for vaccine mandlates except for two. Thankfully.

Did the have vaccine mandates in China?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't take long for the thread to get sidetracked by CoVid conspiratorial bollix. Oh how I missed all that.

/S

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,255 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop the Covid comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

There really does seem to be a conveyor belt of clowns working in the media these days.

Agenda driven smear merchants without a single interesting thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just like Muskys version of Twitter.

Musk knows how to appeal to his fans. About the only thing he can do right is to hook them. The cult of personality guarantee's the devotion.

Just feel sorry for the poor folks who gobble up all the crap from every grifter taking advantage of them yet somehow think they are the smart ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Will youtube be held to the same standards I wonder or is it just Twitter because Musk is now in charge?

The absolute vileness on youtubes comments section is worse than what you would see on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Not todays journalists. They are activists now in the guise of journalists who are so blinded by there own conditioning from an early age that they cannot see how biased they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Youtube absolutely should be held to the same standards. Has anyone suggested they shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Of course youtube should be held to the same standard however Twitter and the youtube comments section are not anywhere close to being the same thing, an example of this is there arent daily and even hourly articles all over the internet about what various famous people, politicians or random nobodies have said or posted in the youtube comments section are there?

The focus is specifically on twitter not because Musk is in charge but because of what he has said and done while being in charge.

'tis Whatabout.

YouTube's problem ATM is how it's punishing low-medium creators who increasingly find it hard to monetise their work - to the extent many prominent "education" creators have pivoted towards other services like Nebula. Over-zealous automatic moderation is de-monetising videos for sometimes arbitrary reasons, while the pipeline for challenging these strikes isn't great, a bit of a black box & takes time (which is not something those trying to make a living can have).

For example: recently YT changed the monetisation strategy to reduce income on videos with "excessive" swearing, which is ... interesting. I vaguely recall a history video-maker commenting that even mentioning "Hitler" got you demonetised (so in this case he called him "Mr. Moustache"!), though he has mentioned the name since so perhaps that was solved. Some channels have had their income fúcked by nuisance "copyright strikes" caused by trolls... that gets the video demonetised 'til reviewed - which can take long enough to put financial pressure on the Creator.

But yes, nobody's talking about YouTube here ... cos it's not a thread about YouTube. Going by the poster's other comments I suspect their annoyance with YouTube is more about "lefties" being offensively "woke", but YouTube does have problems - they're not the same as that of Twitter. Certainly the loudest complaints aren't with respect to engagement or antagonism of its comments (though that can be a problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

YouTube comments are in control of the channel owner. It's easy enough to delete individual comments, or block individual accounts, or filter for specific keywords or require all comments to be approved before publishing, loads of options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

From watching many big and small youtube creators the comment moderation tools they are given are by all accounts are absolutely terrible and its nowhere near as simple or easy to moderate video comment sections as youtube would like people to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’ve done it, not with a huge audience, but the tools are there. You can block comments, filter by keyword, require manual approval of all comments, block individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

YT creators can also assign other users comment moderator powers. So they do not have to waste all their own time playing whack a mole.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Have we gotten a sensible explanation for Musk’s offer price of $54.20 and why Twitter is the bastion of free speech when we already have anything goes cess pits like 4chan/8kun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The 54.20 price was a joke value based on "420" being a reference to the fact that 4/20 is supposed to be "National Cannabis Day".

Musk does it all the time - he uses combinations of "69" and "420" all the time because he is just so hilarious Dude!!!

He changed the price of the Tesla Model S to $69,420 for example.

He also likes to tell people that his birthday is "69 days after 4/20".

So basically, that price was chosen because Elon Musk has the sense of humour of a deeply unfunny 14 year old boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I'm hoping for his sake that I have my numbers wrong but does the 20c difference between $54 and $54.20 equate to about $160m on a $44 billion deal? Expensive joke to make considering it probably went without saying that Twitter would have accepted $54 (or substantially less).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Stock was priced at around $45 when he initially made the offer and given the state of their finances they likely would have accepted a lot less than even a round $54.

He probably could have opened with an offer around $50 and moved from there , but because he wasn't actually genuinely serious when he made the offer he went for the "meme-worthy" value of $54.20 so his fan-boys could have a bit of a giggle.

Then he got stuck with that price in the courts.

So he probably cost himself several billion dollars right out of the gate by trying to be a meme-lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Oh yeah, I'd just love to have him explain it when he's not stoned. You could just imagine him when he made the offer, sitting on his phone looking up the latest conspiracy theory and thinking to himself "this will show them". Then waking up the next day and coming up with his free speech idea.

Other geniuses that like those numbers.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/ftx-crypto-exchange-raises-420m-from-69-investors

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You forgot that he DESTROYED the libs so that makes it worthwhile.

To his devotee's anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I don't think he had any intention of "destroying the libs"... he wants genuine free speech, where everyone gets to express their views. And I think he fully realises that this comes with the dangers associated with a few loopy people getting through the cracks. But it's worth the risk.

I think he has genuinely altruistic motives. But I'm not surprised that certain people try to paint the opposite picture of him. He is the enemy of those who wish to shut down alternative viewpoints, and like to portray themselves as protectors of all that is holy and pure in the world.

The biggest threat to "the libs" is actually from within their own ranks. People like Musk are nominally on the left, but are frustrated with the way liberals are trying to suffocate and silence anyone who even dares to question their world view. When you behave this way, you're going to alienate people who really should be some of your strongest allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Nope given he is so quick to have accounts critical of him and anything he has decided to be flavour of the day given a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Your claims for Musk dont connect with reality in any way shape or form... demonstrates complete ignorance of Musks antics with banning journalists and accounts and silently down ranking accounts linked to positions Musk disagres with. The evidence is all over this thread.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

If that held any water, then Musk wouldn't have been accused of banning accounts critical of him, or indeed including his own tweets in the algorithms that promote tweets. He isn't an altruist even on a basic level given the price point he had Tesla's sold at.

Were he genuinely interested in Free Speech, he'd make Twitter a black box. He didn't, and it isn't.

Advertisement