Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Really, I can't imagine anyone not being full after that menu, unless you have a massive appetite!

I couldn't finish everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ok well i finished everything on that menu but i wasnt hungry after it either so we have representation from all sides here 😁

Its not in the city but recently went to pickled in macroom. If you are heading out that way its a nice spot for a takeaway sambo and baked good (no seating)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

oooooh. Asparagus season! I'm literally looking up flights to Cork after seeing that. Did you get the wine pairing? Paradiso menu is always my death row meal.

Thanks for pic, did you ask for the dressing on the side, or does it come undressed like that? I find it hard to dress a salad myself in the tiny plate, prefer the kitchen to do it.

That asparagus is such a treat every year. Expensive but worth it!

Yes, had the wine pairing. Loved it and found it generous, but like all appetites, that's subjective. Lots of thought put into the pairings, which isn't always the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah the food of the aristocracy. What was the other name for it? Maid's piss or something like that. The smell from the piss pots that the maids used to have the job emptying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

i asked for it on the side.. always do - in case I don't like it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I adore Paradiso. It really is good value considering the quality and variety of food, and the preparation required.

I'm comfortably full after all of the tasting plates, and the food is not carb heavy either, so you're not stuffed with bread and such (but do try the red onion focaccia!).

Looking forward to trying the spring menu.

@the beer revolu, can I ask where you source your asparagus? I haven't seen Caroline selling any yet (not sure if she does?).

Yeah, I can understand the aristocracy link. It's a pure dose to grow, in my previous garden I had to be very patient for 3 years before you can harvest 1/3 of the spears. Expensive crop, in terms of the space and time it takes up. Less expensive than Wasabi though. I didn't even attempt that, it's a semi-aquatic. We don't even get real wasabi here I think, it's horseradish tinted with green food colouring.

Never heard asparagus called Maid's piss before, but yeah, asparagusic acid defo does make pee smell funny for the next few hours or so. I'm in france, and there are mountains of the white asparagus around here at the moment, they are really into it. I'm just blanching it, and eating with butter or mayo, but can report it has the same sulfuric effect. Lucky we have flushing loos now, rather than chamber maids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think there is a guy growing wasabi in NI.

I have a private source😊

I've never seen Caroline sell it, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Japanese is really exploding in town, 2 new restaurants and I see Soba are doing a full Japanese menu too under the name "saka"

This has been discussed in the new businesses opening, thread.

They really have taken off.

I'd love to see a Vietnamese restaurant open next

100%..

the city needs a decent Thai restaurant too.. still miss Banna..

Do Wok'n'Roll on Daunt Square do decent spring rolls or snacky food? I may have asked this before, but I have yet to try them.

Looking for handy quick food in the late evening (10pm to 11pm ish), that you can eat on the go.

I love Laodao of course, but they close at 9pm.

Not sure if these hours by W'n'R are realistic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Anybody know of a good burger spot that doesn't use brioche buns? Fecking sick of that soggy squishy dribbly bread.

Any nice places that do burgers in a good solid bap or something?

I was in Spitjack on Saturday. Just meh.

Had 3 courses.

Starter - Chicken croquettes, the size of cocktail sausages and the consistency was like baby food, the bread coating was also over cooked.

Main - Porchetta. The meat was absolutely delicious and plenty of it. It came with a warm potato salad which was awful, the herb was way too sharp in it and just didn't work with the dish. The jus/gravy that came with was a dribble around the rim of the plate. I just left most of the potato

Dessert - White chocolate and raspberry cheesecake, very nice but its a cheesecake like.

Service - very good but I felt absolutely rushed, 3 courses should be a little bit more drawn out.

€39 set price for 3 courses, which is decent enough these days.

I wouldn't be rushing back

Izz Cafe this eve - 110%.. flawless..

• Advertisement

Anything you would particularly recommend Sporina?

I do like that flatbread with spinach, have never tried that new chicken and rice dish though.

as its warmer now I had the flatbread with falafel, humous, rocket etc... DIVINE.. hmm.. and they give you extra tahini hmm

the chicken and rice dish is fab but more a cold weather dish

Izz sell their own sumac, which is very good. You can buy it in the Quay Co-op.

A slice of pizza from Frankie's.

Decent size, very tasty and good value for €4.50

This was the pepperoni and hot honey, with plenty of cheese and a lovely crispy base.

Would definitely go back for more!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

e4.50 for a slice of pizza?!

Jesus it'd want to be good!

I thought it was good value! 😁 It's a nice big slice with toppings, not a skimpy flat bread type of pizza though. Like, how much is a sandwich from Centra?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Went in to Geofood today on South Main St. Had been meaning to get in for ages. It’s really nice. The owner is so welcoming and chatty. She went through all the fresh food she had and what was popular and what she would recommend. Ended up having a lovely beef dish (can’t remember the proper name). There was a side of mash and she said it usually comes with feta cheese so we had that too.

My sister wasn’t having anything so she asked her would she like a coffee which was really good- proper Greek. And she brought out two pieces of tasty baklava for us. The whole thing for €14.

Highly recommend if you’re passing, I’ll be back in there soon.

Well done @what the hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to the Glass Curtain for birthday dinner - really enjoyed it - pricy, but I figured it’s a treat, wouldn’t be going there every weekend!

• Advertisement

That's some amount of cheese!

(not in a good way, imo)

I think pizzas in Ireland are generally terrible due to too much toppings, cheese in particular. But the Irish appear to love a heavily topped pizza!

I appreciate value as much as the next person but I wish outlets found a way to offer better value without loading on the toppings.

Advertisement