Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

It’s always the same on here and Irish message boards. Geniuses insulting journalists and refs and believing their opinion from behind a pseudonym is paramount. Good to know you think it’s a low bar. I’ll continue reading them with aplomb. You can rip people apart on here from behind your screen in total anonymity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Totally agree on all that.

Ref may deem scrum to have stopped or not be progressing so will call use it to not have another stoppage and another scrum. Ifs nothing to do with not wanting to have more scrum penalties.

I asked what Law allowed the ref to decide that he didn't want to reset the scrum. The attacking team shouldn't be put at a disadvantage because the ref doesn't want to do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

This one since you want to be so aggressive about it.

Law 20.4 THE TEAM THROWING THE BALL INTO THE SCRUM

(e) When a scrum remains stationary and the ball does not emerge immediately a further scrum is ordered at the place of the stoppage. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession at the time of the stoppage.

(f) When a scrum becomes stationary and does not start moving immediately, the ball must emerge immediately. If it does not, a further scrum will be ordered. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession at the time of the stoppage.

few instructions to officials coming with refs meant to strictly adhere to timings around kicks at goal

• Law 8.8d Conversion. [The kicker] takes the kick within 90 seconds (playing time) from the time the try was awarded, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. Sanction: Kick is disallowed; 
    • Law 8.21: Penalty Kick: The kick must be taken within 60 seconds (playing time) from the time the team indicated their intention to do so, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. Sanction: Kick is disallowed and a scrum is awarded;
    • Law 9.7d: A player must not waste time. Sanction Free-kick;
    • Law 18.12 Lineout: Teams form the lineout without delay. Sanction: Free-kick;
    • Law 19.4 Scrum: Teams must be ready to form the scrum within 30 seconds of the mark being made. Sanction: Free-kick.

Also will be less reliance on TMO. Less involvement from water carriers

• Advertisement

RFU lowering tackle height at all levels

To support player welfare, the RFU Council agreed on Monday 16th January to lower the height of the tackle across the community game from July 1 2023.  

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/rfu-council-approves-lowering-of-the-tackle-height-across-community-rugby-in-england-2023

• Subscribers Posts: 41,479 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i dont know how they square this circle:

BBC rugby union correspondent Chris Jones

I understand the trial saw approximately a 67% increase in concussions, from an average of 0.6 a game in the regular Championship season, to 1 per match in the Championship Cup.

The number of concussions from upright tackles did fall markedly - as was hoped - but there was a drastic increase in concussive incidents around the breakdown, when both the ball carrier and tackler were bent at the waist.

i can see this being an unmitigated disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Didn’t we discuss this quite a while ago?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just watching France-Ireland (6N) from 2000 and O'Driscoll puts in a big, chest-high hit on Bernat-Salles. The French commentators point out that in the English (sic) championship you [were] allowed tackle high as long as it wasn't above the shoulders. Does anyone know if there were different rules about tackle height between countries at the time or were the just talking nonsense?

edit: think I'll go with nonsense as the same guys applaud 'a perfect tackle' by Pelous around Dawson's neck to stop him scoring.

Post edited by pickarooney on

Super Rugby to trial Yellow Card upgrade process for 2023

Yellow Card TMO reviews will take place after sanctioned players leave the field – upgrades possible to 20min red card

TMO interruptions will be restricted to serious clear and obvious dangerous play

Time limits will be enforced for kicks at goal, lineouts, scrums and rucks

Scrum half no follow round at scrum

Golden point (in 10min extra time) for drawn matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

The scrum half ruling could be huge. Players such as Ardie Savie attacking from the base of a scrum without having to deal with a scrum half lurking will be interesting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How far can the scrum half go? The centre line of the scrum?

Once the scrum begins, the scrum-half of the team not in possession must have both feet behind the ball and be close to scrum but not be in the space between flanker and number 8 of opposition or they can go back to offside line at their number 8s feet or return to 5 metres back with their backline

im not sure what i make of these new law variations coming in at super rugby.

first off, one of the basic tenets of the game should be that the referee is the ultimate arbiter of the game. By allowing the TMO now be the main decision maker on any "iffy" red card offences, this will naturally, through human nature, result in referees being quicker to brandish yellow cards in possible red card situations, and leave the ultimate decision to the TMO

the lesser TMO interventions in open play is to be welcomed.

im a fan of the 20 minute red card, so no issue there

the new scrum law will be interesting. i can imagine some unintended consequences where defensive teams will be more encouraged to wheel the scrum, because defenders will want to direct the 8 into the side with the extra defender (the scrum half). i general i dont think this will make a major difference to the running of the game, but it does take away particular skill of some scrum halves, and rewards the poorer no 8.

golden point is great craic and great viewing.

I agree about TMO influence. Wont agree about 20 minute red cards. red cards especially serious foul play should always see team down to 14 for remainder.

Golden point at this level will be interesting to see

English womens coach wants a change in law for kicking conversions for women.

He suggested if a try is scored within 5m of the touchline in women's rugby, the kicker should have the option to take the kick from 10m inside the touchline to reduce the distance to the posts.

Think it should definitely be changed. any try scored outside of the 15m line should be kicked from the 15m. thats the law with younger age groups here and should be looked at older levels

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Strangely was thinking about that today and moving the kick in from the sidelines. Just no point in taking the kick if it hasn't a hope of making the distance.

Think it should definitely be changed. any try scored outside of the 15m line should be kicked from the 15m. thats the law with younger age groups here 

i havent seen that in leinster? where do they utilise that particular amendment?

Ive seen it in Munster and Connacht with u13 boys, u14 girls. Think it should be case for youngest age groups where kids realistically wont be near kicking ball over bar..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

bizarre that the english coach would suggest this when they have had one of the best goalkickers in the world (mens or womens) for the last number of years in emily scarratt, some of their other options like zoe harrison are pretty decent too.

not needed

• Advertisement

I dont see how its bizarre hes suggesting it. When he gives examples from his own team in games this season

it is bizarre seeing as they have had the best goalkicker in the womens game on their team for the last number of years, who has no problem with kicking from the touchline

they also have a 13 at the moment in Tuima who can kick from the halfway line if the school of kicking videos are to be believed

the example he gave was referring to holly aitchison, who doesnt regularly kick for her club as zoe harrsion (injured) is pretty good

I dont think its bizarre as well as he is speaking of the womens game overall and you do see it at womens games with kickers. and lack of kicks compared to mens games.

Look at the comments he made. stats mentioned in article about successful kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

The lack of distance place kicking may also mean that defending teams can offend more often, safe in the knowledge that penalty kicks at goal are not an option. For sides with the size & skills to defend lineout mauls this would be a huge plus.

kiera bevan the welsh scrum half has come out with similar thoughts to mine

ive already spoke on the fact that they have only kicked 8 out of 22 so far - its partly due to the fact that they are (were, she wont be kicking in the next game apparently) using an inexperienced kicker who isnt first choice for her club and is probably 4th or 5th choice at best if all options were fit and available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ollie woodburns red card (second yellow) in todays game.

My own opinion is that its a terrible call and something that happens in almost every try thats scored.

Anyone see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Anyone see the Olly Woodburn red? Correct decision technically but I feel like that sort of thing happens all the time without punishment.

Im not sure its technically correct, hes tackling a player, targeting the ball

And if it is technically correct then every try thats scored with a defender making a tackle is liable to have a YC shown

As far as the penalty try goes i cant see how the ref has decided he wouldn't have gone to touch anyway.

Mind boggling decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The player was already tackled though, can't dive on a man on the floor.

Advertisement