Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Delvin Was on fire today.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

I bid to 1420 for 3 Charolais bullocks 380kg....didn't get them in skibbereen 2 weeks ago.... Absolute madness..7 month men buying at all costs....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

What did they finish at?

Too a degree yes but you either buy them or you don't at the end of the day. Whether there's anything to be made out of them is another debate entirely and although you or I (or the OP) wouldn't give it there's lots of others who will. There's a good chance they've been bought for the summer grazing job and will be showed again in the autumn.

That seems to be the run of those good CHx type cattle atm and you'll hardly buy them much less anywhere. If you want them you can only be the runner up so many times and they could well get a bit dearer if the growth took off next week and "grass fever" sets.

Granted you could buy a different type of a beast at a different price but a lot of them are only for bringing through to slaughter and don't suit being sold live in the autumn. I've seen bundles of FRx yearlings sold recently at circa 300-320kg at between €500-€550. However the lad that is buying the CHx most likely wouldn't take a present of those FRx. There's lots of men who like looking at good stock for the summer months and will pay accordingly. I see it myself with lad's, color and shape ect come before price.

I've an uncle who wouldn't let a horned weanling in about the place because he hates blood/skulling and wouldn't sleep worrying they'd bleed out after it. It doesn't matter if you landed with a good horned calf €300 cheap atm the very first comment he'd make is that he didn't want horned stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

They finished at 1430...yes I was glad... So easy to get trigger happy on phone 😁😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Killed a share of these good ch bulls last week. The top lads came into €2700.

With the grass ready to burst out of the ground Do I replace them with poorer limos at €1100 or maintain quality and pay €1400?

At todays prices There is €400-€600 difference between the two when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Would you mind giving a breakdown of how the 600e differential works out between the two types of cattle. Out of curiosity more than anything.

I would think there has been a decent twist for guys finishing bulls over this winter even with the high price of inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Is there much of a cut in base price if a heifer goes over 36 months old..?

Ch bull 500kg will make €2700 plainer limo at 400kg €2150.

Had some in that load last week that made closer to €2800 and some closer to €2000. All on the farm the same length of time and all ate the same amount of meal and silage over the winter.

The better bulls left a greater margin than the plainer lads.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Thanks for the explanation. One of the reasons I had asked is I had seen a number of my weanlings I had sold in october killed in the last month or two and went into good carcass weights/grades. These would be chx out of my bull. I had one lmx bull out of ZAG in the group who I thought was a very nice calf but went 300e less in the mart than the chx. Not killed yet either.Your explanation above gives some evidence why.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Cattle of ZAG are inclined to stay on the smaller side and don’t grow into big carcasses in my experience, usually very shapey tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

Processors acting the maggot again.

BIL has 30 odd aa and he being put off for 3 weeks now. I know of 2 lads with over 120 cattle between them can't get them killed.

Post edited by kk.man on

If that was my regular factory that was putting me off 3 weeks I’d be moving them on somewhere else fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Supplies are tightening so shop around. And likely to remain tight to end of June before grass cattle appear.

Processors might be trying to manage it from feedlots but I wouldnt stress. All signs are for upwards/stable prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

By any chance would the the factory be linked to Larry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I hate saying it, but why would factories put up prices more. They know lads will need to get stock moving and we all know they all end up in a factory somewhere. Also stores are expensive enough in marts, if they up the price in factories this will inturn increase the mart price thus making it more expensive for feeds lots to fill there sheds. I have seen it over the years pulling the price makes lads nervous and inturn they move on stock as they fear more price drops. The factories always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Yep, time and time again. When prices are rising lads don’t want to move for fear of selling cheap (understandably). When prices drop lads run.

the father told me a story years ago where him and the locals were getting say €5.95, but were hanging on for 5 cents to make it €6 euro a kg. They sold them in the end for say €5.50. We are at the mercy of the factories unfortunately. I heard of one agent around here tell a good customer that he thinks cattle will just hold their price but not rise

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Thats from Bord Bia comparing our prices with UK. Our processors are making serious money selling into that market. Remember last Apr/May when prices were rising above UK and we thought we were in control... looks a pretty tiny blip on the graph now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Factory controlled feedlots. They miscalculated the market last spring and feedlots were near empty come March/April so they were mad for cattle in both mart and factory. Feedlot cattle are the single biggest control factor the factories have. Feedlots are well stocked this year, they have been very active buying forward stores in the marts since December, hence I wouldn't expect a large increase in base price between now and June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was up in the big smoke last weekend and out with friends for dinner in a nice restaurant,there was a €15 euro supplement on a Steak!…….still had it to support the farmers🙂

Have noticed in local restaurant which does a great trade for Sunday lunches that roast beef has gone off the menu,replaced by a chicken dish.

So while farmers might be getting a better price for stock at the moment it’s translating into what’s happening in restaurants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Yea have heard that restaurants are struggling, energy and food costs increased but can’t raise the prices proportionally. Problem is farmers prices aren’t leaving big margins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

The meat in the average burger is about 70 cents max to the farmer. And in any pub that’s 15 quid and more.

farmer paid the same 70 cents for the meat for the roast sirloin that 15 plus on a Sunday.

a year ago the meat would have cost them 55 cents to the farmer.

(Back of napkin calculation but blamin the farmer margin for restaurants is madness).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It’s very easy to blame others. There’s probably too many steps in the chain in trying to make thing simpler. Each step has a cost

avreturantMost restaurant type burgers are are in the 6-8 ounce category rather than a 1/4 pounder. The farmer wound probably be reviving around the euro mark. The beef in a roast dinner by most restaurants would be similar it more than likely round than sirloin unless it's cow beef.

However it the supplement for a steak that is really wide of the mark. In most supermarket you will buy top quality ( signature brands, AA or HE) steaks for 9-11 euro for two of them. In reality steaks are costing a restaurant about 4-7 max ( fillet for the higher price) but they charge 30+++ for steaks.

Restaurant main problem is the rents they pay as well as energy costs. Even take away from branded stores( McDonald's, Supermac's, Burger King etc are charging 10+ for a meal deal. For decades low food prices allowed them excessive margins and allowed all other businesses to get a decent margin except a farmer.

You can go into any supermarket and buy two premium brand steaks for 10 euro, 2-3 trays of prepared sides( garlic/roast potatoes, roast veg, battered chips, onion rings etc 2.5-3 euro/ tray take them home make a bit of mash and pepper sauce.

Total cost for 4+ adults ( 4 steaks, 3 trays of prepared side dishes a few potatoes and a bit of sauce) for about 8 euro/ person. Add to that the bottle of wine about 10-12 euro( 30+ in a restaurant) and a few craft beers at 2 euro each.

You can buy trays of started 4-6 euro each( enough for 2-3 people and a cake for 10-15 euro. Total cost sub 25/ head. I. Reality now most people eating out ate skipping either desert or a starter ( possibly both) and will generally only get a glass of wine now.

A meal described as above would set you back 70-100/ head in a restaurant

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Know the owner of a good pub in Kilkenny. Does a savage food trade. Doesn't want lads in drinking all he wants is the 18 euro meal into them and off with them again. Drinks slow down the turn around on the tables.

It getting that way with many pubs. A pub about 4-5 miles away closes after last food is served at 9.30-10pm ish. Heard a story that it was closed 8.30 Tuesday of last week. They had virtually nobody for food that evening and closed after last customer left a little after 8 pm.

They have lost all there bar trade. It got to the stage if you ate going for a meal and few drinks you do not go there.

It's all very well to have that attitude but it will effect your business long-term. Heard of another fairly expensive restaurant that only gives you two ish hours at the table. Recently a few people out wanted to order another drink and we're told they would have to go into the bar next store.

Many pubs serving meals are buying starters and deserts that are prepared outside the premises by entities like Sysco Ireland ( formerly Pallas foods). The other crack is charging a service fee for tables of over 6 people.

Basically they have made business errors and they need too high a margin to survive. It was similar during the Celtic Tiger.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

When should you start feeding 2 year old + Fr bullocks on grass? Only out 2 weeks. Usually start at the June weekend but might go early this year. Overstocked but prices are good. A very mixed bag. All bought in. All advice welcomed and appreciated as per usual.

Advertisement