Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The guards totally own the blaming of Joanne Hayes. This couple may be guilty of a number of crimes but that's not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

He may not be too far out though as the suggestion seems to be that the mother of baby John had a father in the Gardai (who had passed away before 1984) but she also had a brother in the Gardai who passed away less than 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The parents need to talk, their son was brutally murdered, staying quiet isn't acceptable.

It's sad seeing Baby John's grave, I wonder who takes care of it and if his parents have ever visited it?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Balagan1

Very apt descriptions of both O'Carroll and Callinan. Just very recently watched the Kerry Babies episode of Crime and Confessions on RTE Playback https://www.rte.ie/player/series/crimes-and-confessions/SI0000012595?epguid=IH000414513 O'Carroll resorted to some foul language when interviewed and it was in relation to the IRA. He seemed like someone with PTSD and seemed to have no awareness of how he was coming across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yeah what's this about.

They should have come out years ago with the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The grave has been vandalised several times over the years. In 2004 on the the 20th anniversary of Baby Johns death the caretaker of the graveyard replaced a small wooden cross on his grave with a small granite headstone to which was inscribed 'I Forgive'. Soon after he did that someone smashed it with a sledgehammer. The caretaker believes it is someone local who is connected to Baby John that has been vandalising the grave over the years, Gardai have also said that they believe the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

They can easily say the deceased man only told them on his deathbed and at that point as Hayes had be cleared and apologised to, it was easier to say nothing. For that we are sorry and should have come forward.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭Xander10

If either of them cared one jot about the baby, they should apologise for not speaking up about with happened to their son.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But who do they need to talk to and for who's benefit?

They don't need to talk to us to satisfy our curiosity.

A file has been sent to the DPP, if there is any talking to be done it will be done in court to answer any charges.

That's the only talking the couple are obliged to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"A file has been sent to the DPP"

Has it, already?

The Times article says a file is being prepared, that could take months, years even.

Or are you just making stuff up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

This case reminds me of the missing postman, Larry Griffin, who went missing Christmas Eve 1929 while in a village pub with people he knew.

Whatever caused his death we don't know maybe he fell due to being drunk or was in a fight but everyone there, two Garda, school principal, publican and one or two others never spoke of it.

There was a search that lasted years, a collapsed murder trial, and endless media interest and yet a wall of silence.

The silence was such that an author who researched the matter believes that descendants of the conspirators know less about the case than readers of her book.

Here we have an infant baby, viciously stabbed to death, yet nobody speaks out. No comment 40 years later.

The parents still being together is extraordinary; infant death for "natural" ends a lot of relationships how a couple could survive the violent death of their child beggars belief.

How would a couple sit down and go about planning a family after something like happened baby John? How do you look at your other children, family photos and not break?

40 years later or not a Garda investigation is warranted, part of the criminal justice system has to be about saying to the victim "you matter, we will find out the truth and prosecute this case".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It was a witch hunt with corrupt gardai involved.

No-one in their right mind would come forward when they saw what the gardai did to an innocent person.

Could you blame them?

And gardai rarely are posted in the area they have grown up in.

If this story has any truth and becomes the main area of interest, it will be very embarrassing for the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Walter it may have been a witch-hunt ( Gardai corruption cannot be ruled out here) at the time but remember times have changed. The passing of a shocking 39 years though doesn't reflect well on this couple - as they grew older they should have had some sense of doing the right thing. I would imagine family relationships were already soured by all of this so protecting family members is not an excuse imo. It seems they fully intended to stay silent but thanks to DNA their secret became known. I would have alot more respect for them if they had come forward themselves.

So yes I do blame them for staying silent on the death of their baby.

I'm an adopted person too. You only have to submit your long form passport/adoption certificate on first application for a passport.

But good story, lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not making anything up, just used the incorrect wording.

But as I said, these people only have to talk if in front of a judge, they are under zero obligation otherwise.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Maybe relationships werent soured though, families can have a dogged determination to protect a murderer within them especially if there is a dominant patriarch or matriarch at the head of the family. Like its likely the murderer was a blood relative, someone they know very well. To come forward essentially meant shipping a relative for murder with a potential 20 year prison term for the culprit. At the time of Johns birth this couple would have been children or teenagers themselves and were placed in a cover up situation. Once the die was cast the easier thing to do was stick with the family line and say nothing even as they grew into adulthood.

The other aspect is that it is a crime to have knowledge of a murder and not to come forward. Once they turned 18 they became criminally responsible themselves as adults. So theres an element there that given they didnt come forward they are continuing to commit a crime themselves. So their fate was then tied to the fate of the murderer hence they are incentivised to continue on the cover up to keep both themselves and a blood relative out of facing prison.

Dont get me wrong I think the whole case is abhorrent especially what the Hayes family were put through. But its not hard to see how a cover up in the family was set down early doors and once that was in place people who knew just doggedly continued to stick to the family line through thick and thin.

It all started to fall apart in the last 6 or 7 years. Baby John's maternal grandfather, a Garda, had been dead a few years when Baby John was born.

Maternal grandmother died??

Sept 2018 a new investigation and "Gardaí were following up on aspects of the original investigation"

A local "Garda with links to the family" died " in the last 5 years", (so, since 2018)

Sept 2021, Baby John's body was exhumed for DNA (original DNA had degraded)

Sometime in the 18 months between the exhumation and March 2023- when the parents were arrested- a sibling's DNA was found to match both the parents.

Edit;

1976, 2017, and 2020 are significant dates here I believe

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yeah I can understand them staying quiet to keep the families reputation - it still doesnt make it right. I think within that family there would have to be very toxic soured relationships. Imagine having Christmas dinner with the person that murdered your baby? If relationships were not sour than this pair must be hard as nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Was Joanne Hayes or any member of her family ever prosecuted in relation to the death of the baby found on the family farm ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Why would she be? The baby died a natural death.

Joanne Hayes and her family have suffered enough without people 40 years from the event making up sins she is not guilty of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

My memory of the events is hazy. Was the baby stillborn and the body then hidden ? Would concealing the birth not be grounds for criminal prosecution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think I'd find it very hard to reconcile if I found out my parents did something like this.

I think I'd find it even harder to reconcile if I discovered my in-laws had a secret like this .

Your own children are going to be impacted, especially in a relatively rural location.

I'd say there's alot of angry people in the family right now. . .or maybe they don't give a sh1t haven't really seemed to care for last 40 years.

Post edited by Princess Calla on

yeah its definitely not right but with blood being thicker than water you can see how it would have went down. Undoubtedly the mother of baby John harnesses animosity towards whoever took him away from her and killed him. But killing him was a crime justified to her to cover up the family shame and Catholic guilt of a baby born out of wedlock in an era when these things mattered. And then the murder itself is even more shame and guilt on the family. And because all their fates are tied together the cover up endured for decades, even to the point that they watched on as the Hayes family were threatened with murder charges. I wonder would they have stood silent while Joanne get convicted of murder. Id say its likely because at that point they were very much in for a penny and in for a pound.

“It may end up that this garda was on the investigation team too.”

According to O’Carroll this Garda was “aware of the investigation” Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

To be fair I'd imagine there wasn't a garda in the country at the time who wasn't aware of the investigation if you mean the original one back in 1980s especially a garda from Kerry or stationed in Kerry.

I’d say it was his way of saying he was “close” to the investigation.

Plenty of people will do all sorts of awful things to protect a family member. I know this. Ranks are closed and the event never to be spoken of again. That isn't a uniquely Irish position but a human one.

However when the awful thing occurs in Catholic Ireland in the early eighties the secrecy becomes all the more urgent and the stakes higher. It's possible that John's parents did and do care about Joanne Hayes but the choice was taken from them and the movement of time makes doing the right thing all the more complex.

As for the actual murder of the poor baby, well it was vicious and hate filled. That makes me wonder about the person who did it. Incest, adultery, psychosis, we don't know. The birth of baby John seemed to have brought huge shame, major disruption, hatred towards the child for simply being born..why?

• Advertisement

And it happens in the "garda family" where "Blue Glue" has a specific meaning.

90% of gardai are above reproach , but the other 10% cause chaos

Advertisement