Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya for traders but will surely lead to an increase in supply as it means traders can then bring in any used car whereas currently they would only be bringing vat qualifying ones.

That might also then mean that some NI cars might free up alittle for the ordinary man and perhaps prices become abit more realistic.

It cannot be a bad thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasper1422

Hi,

I Plan on bringing a car back from the UK .

Is the customs and Vat calculated on the invoice price? If so ,I plan buying the car of my cousin so will a receipt he does out be ok for this?

Just wondering too what customs clearance company I can contact and what costs to they charge?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Duty - calculated on invoice price + shipping / ferry cost

VAT - calculated on invoice price

A receipt from your cousin is fine - you will need proof of payment, such as a bank transfer / revolut statement, which backs up the price listed on the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

so you could make up a price, agree transfer the made up price to settle a balance say...and use that for Duty/VAT purposes and pay less duty and VAT? ....Asking for a friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Revenue are not stupid. They are not going to just accept someone selling you the car with a substantial market value, for a miniscule amount for invoice purposes. That would be a red flag with them and they will investigate it. I don't think you or the person selling you the car would want to be under that microscope.

Yes, your friend could do this and would have no problem from revenue, as long as its within reason I'd imagine.

Why would someone living in the UK care in the slightest about what the Irish revenue commissioners do?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, you are correct, someone living abroad might not care or need to care but the person here bringing the car in could be scrutinized. Bank account records, money transfers, etc could be checked to back up what is being declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sirius88

Afternoon all,

Looking for some advice if possible.

My other half lives over the border and recently got a new car.

I've only recently completed my driving lessons and she wants to give me her old car as a runaround.

I'm currently living and working in the south and wish to register the car for VRT, but she already sent the logbook to the DVLA and revenue won't me proceed to VRT it without the logbook.

We called the DVLA and they said I'd have to contact the relevant authority here, but revenue are saying they can't do anything without the logbook.

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks all,

• Advertisement

It was a mistake sending the book to dvla.

I presume she put your name and an eire address. They won't issue a new logbook to a foreign address so it's kinda awkward.

I guess you can try form v62 and use your your name at her address in UK and see if they will issue you a v5c.

If they do, you just need to take that to vrt appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ginger22

They wont register it here without the V5. Your only hope is to get your other half with an address in UK or NI to apply to the DVLA for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sirius88

Thanks ginger22!

Do you know if the logbook should follow the car per se... I assumed she'd get the logbook back when the the DVLA knew it was being exported.

(also in order for me to register it here)

The DVLA are saying they won't issue a new log book to her address as the car is technically 'exported'. She'd have to re register it in the north order to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Hey folks,

I bought a 1991 car in Belfast last Saturday. I know the car was imported in 2017 but I have no documentation other than the log book and the person I bought it from bought the car mid 2021 so the date on the log book is after Brexit changes for import. I can see from the MOT history on the UK.GOV site that the MOT's done in 2017-2023 were done in Northern Ireland at it has a link to click on previous ones for the specific test centre in England but the ones from 2017 on have a message that test centres are not available from Northern Ireland. I am hoping this will be take as proof the car was in Northern Ireland before 2021 so I don't have to pay VAT and Duty. Anyone have any idea? If not I can try and get something else as I have an idea of who the previous owners are and who imported the car, its just the person I bought it from and the previous owner don't seem to have anything on paper any more and the person who imported the car has deleted all records of it at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Was there MOT's in NI between 2017 and 2021? If not what was the milage difference between the two MOT's you'll want to satisfy them that the car could not have returned to the UK in the mean time and have be used there.

Yes there were mots done every year in ni from 2017 until the current one on the car. I'm just not sure if this is accepted as the revenue site mentions other documentation.

Yes that will be fine. Just go to the vrt centre with it and they will send it to revenue for approval. Come back to me if it's rejected by revenue and I'll tell you what to do next but it should be fine.

Brilliant that's a relief, thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jackiebt

Thinking of buying a car in NI and importing it to Dublin. Is it worth the hassle? Are there any Free VRT calculator sites, a lot of them are asking for a fee. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭acmatman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html;rjsessionid=C7666D9FC2F93181556FE4C4FBC179D9?execution=e1s1

Sure isn’t the equivalent car about €20k here? So VRT at 40% would be about €8k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Hoping I can get some clarity on a UK car purchase (2011 MINI), I've read through the thread but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so to speak as I haven't imported anything since Brexit.

Customs Duty

I've seen both CarClear.ie and CustomsDeclaration.ie - anyone any experience with either? I'll be flying over and bringing the car back myself, do I need to have the car cleared before this? How long does the clearing process take? From reading the thread, this is 10% of the purchase price + shipping costs. If I drive the car back myself I'm assuming this is the cost of the ferry? Do they include the flight over too? Does this get paid to whoever clears the car for you?

VAT

How is this calculated / paid? Do I just submit it through ROS? I'm not VAT registered or the like. I think I need both VAT & Duty paid before I can VRT the car? Am I right in saying this is 23% of the Euro equivalent of the purchase price?

VRT

Done this a few times, about the only step in the process I'm familiar with. I've told the seller that I need the full V5 to register the car here and I've got a VRT quote (although this can't be treated as anything other than a ballpark figure) If I was to reserve a reg that's available, how does this work with NCTS?

Payment

Car is around £7k - having read through the thread, a few different methods have been mentioned - Revolut, Wise and CurrencyFair seem to be the more popular ones. I've opened a Wise account and uploaded my passport. If I transfer from them to a UK account, does it go through within minutes? (Their website calculator lists a 'Fast Transfer' option) I also have Revolut so this is an option too.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks.

If you're driving the car home, you do not need to have VAT and duty clearance prior to arriving here. Don't know either of those agents, I use Bell.ie who I've found very efficient.

VAT is 23% of the invoiced cost of the car - euro equivalent. Duty is 10% of the invoiced cost plus the cost of your ferry. You'll pay the clearance agent directly - you don't need to go near ROS.

You can't reserve a reg number for a used import anymore, VRT centre will need the original V5 and the customs clearance confirmation.

Have found Revolut the quikest for transfers lately - its been instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Just to add, if the UK car is VAT Qualifying then the UK VAT (I think 20%) can be reclaimed, there are agents out there that charge a fee, probably 1 to 1.5k to do that. Also the 10% duty is not paid on UK manufactured cars and an EU manufactured car reimported less than 3yrs from when it arrived in the UK. this needs proof, hard to get, but if you can prove date and place of manufacture in the EU is less than 3yrs from you presenting the car for import your sorted.

Look at NI, no VAT or Duty on cars pre 1stJan22.

UK&NI dealers can claim back 15% of the invoice price from next month as well so cars will be cheaper from then on. Probably worth waiting.

Cheers for the reply, hadn't heard of Bell.ie, will look into them now. Pity about the reserved plates, I think the long (11d13XXXX) look awful so was hoping to get a shorter one reserved. (We won't mention the €1,000 cost)

Just checked Revolut and see what looks like a local Sort Code & Account number so they could be a better option.

I don't see how this can make sense. Bringing in a reasonably low value car for UK and paying Irish vat, duty vrt and nox tax on top of the UK vat inclusive price.

Sounds like madness to me.

Sure the same applies when importing from the other 170 countries not in the EU.

Funny how no one has a problem with paying all these charges when buying from Japan, but when its from the UK its a different story?

VRT and Nox are ridiculous tho.

• Advertisement

In my case there are only 2 comparable cars for sale in Ireland, one is 2008 and one 2010 and both lave lower spec than the one I've picked up in the UK, and, even factoring in Duty, VAT & VRT, it's just about the same cost as Irish cars.

Advertisement