Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Couldn't agree more. I'd like to think all the hard physical work is done and the weekend was spent hurling, hurling, hurling. Our first touch can't but improve. Billy Drennan showed once again yesterday what he's capable of but he'll need the more senior players leading the way if he's to progress.

On a side note, silence is golden!

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Great to have a bit of positivity at last 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Spot on. I heard the minors are playing Offaly on Sunday at an Offaly venue. Maybe the minor team management should read John Mc Intyres article about our minor lads and the lack of respect they have for us in the Connaught tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

You still have not said what Boro players should have been picked. You seem to have a problem with Village players or Brian Cody picking Village players?. Do you honestly not think that KK could do with Conor Browne this year? And Mikey Carey Young Irelands as well. If both were still around they would be on the KK team. Who are the other Village players you have an issue with since Martin Fogarty left in 2013?

Brian Cody’s honesty and dedication to KK has to be admired from Day 1 to his final year where he did what was best for KK every time. The bitterness amongst clubs you are coming out with is what he stopped in 1998 and hence this started our greatest period of all time as he United clubs, players and the county board backed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'm fairly sure Mikey Carey is back in Ireland. Whether it's for good or he'll be back in Kilkenny who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Ah boy Delaney

conor Browne was never good enough to hurl for kilkenny he can’t pass the ball all he has is big and strong can’t hurl

luke Scanlon in there for 5 years

Matt Ruth son

he had his 2sons on it one

of them could not even get on a Fitz gibbon cup team

what he done in 2016 with his son and Jackie Tyrell was a joke stood on sideline with arms folded that’s by experts on tv and made no changes it was well hidden about the blow up in dressing room after all Ireland panel announced

you hAve a very short memory in how he treated some of the great kilkenny players

and any manager that does not have the decency to shake players hand when the come of the field Cody always said it was about the players it was always about him they way he treated sheflin was disgraceful

if the man that should have got the job before Cody if he did get it god knows how many all Ireland’s we would have won George Leahy what a manager he so far in front of Cody I remember when Cody managed village and the village lads laughed at him

Ah boy Delaney

i would not be that up to date with names w

hen you look at all the success

over the yEars

There is 2?players over the years that Cody really treated badly I think Dan o Neill was his name he played centre back a fabulous hurler and the under 20 manager mark Dowling

2 years ago when Murphy got injured we had no back up to Brennan the Boro goalkeeper not brought in and he was on team of the championship for 2 years he

said Alan Murphy acting as sun goal keeper what a joke

go on his record since fogarty left him and it’s full of failure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

you still have not answered the question on Boro lads that should have played for KK that he refused to play.

i just see a lot of bitterness coming from you and it’s very unfair and nasty. A real KK person could not have that bitterness after what Brian Cody and his selectors over all the years brought to KK. I don’t believe he treated Shefflin badly. Brian stayed in KK. Henry jumped ship for nothing other than money. I believe from what I hear the Village are delighted to have Brian back as manger and I am sure no money involved. The Boro I believe paid one of their own to manage them a few years back. You have to admire Brian’s loyalty to KK. Imagine the money he could be getting around the country when you see what Henry, Davy, Derek McGrath, Liam Cahill and others are getting for managing other counties. I can’t understand how you would care about another county unless money drives you.

The 2 names you mentioned were with KK in 1996/97 with different KK mgrs. neither played under Kevin fennelly in 1998 never mind under Cody later on. Not good enough.

since Fogarty left KK won 2 all Irelands and played in another 3 which most counties would be happy with. Won a couple of NHL and a bucket of Leinster finals. I am from a Junior club but what Cody did for KK j will never forget. As far as I am concerned he and his selectors picked what they deemed to be the best team always. I am sure you and I and others would all pick different teams but that’s the beauty of sport we don’t all agree but one thing is sure a good manager cannot afford to be bigoted towards any club. Brian Barry would have a few medals if he had to hang around. He to me was the second best Boro Hurler over last 25 years. Been honest I don’t know who else should have been on it from Boro. I hope with all their underage success that they will provide some Senior hurlers but I wouldn’t be sure.

• Advertisement

so your saying his sons were good enough

Brian Barry was dropped of kilkenny panel before he left

if your great Brian Cody had his way Tj Reid would not have won any all irelands he was going to withdraw only sheflin and Mickey Walsh got him to stay

looking at there performance for the under 20 last year and this year at least the get fair crack at it

last seven years 3 all Ireland lost 2 of them the greatest beatings kilkenny ever got

The longest run any kilkenny manager went with out winning a all Ireland

i leave it at this in the last 3 years Aidan Nolan was in there and taigh o Dwyer

dwyer got plenty of game time Nolan none

Dwyer had no right to be in there the only reason was he village man and there a family connection Nolan had great year with boro got badly injured in semie final

There is another one carried on panel for years Thomas Keogh

so you have

Keogh

Ruth

his 2 sons

scanlon

Dwyer

He played brown for years if your memory is good you might remember him being destroyed up in tullamore by Offaly

he was destroyed in the park against Clare at comer back brought out to half back eventually taking of when it to late

last years all Ireland very poor I thought the basic thing for a midfielder was to be able to pass a ball something he could not do

may least now lyng can go back to what kilkenny was always good at and that’s hurling the ball not hitting up in the air

Your comment about money and boro paying someone a load of hear say it’s like all the county managers nobody knows

The amazing think is anything I have said is fact it happened you not able to contract any of it

he went back in 2 years ago and they

got rid of him And everyone that was there pulled out because he back

11All Irelands

18 Leinster

10 league finals

over a 120 All stars in his time

7/8 hurlers of the year

You pick the negatives I will pick the massive positives. Like Ali “ He was the greatest” 😂😂😂 🍋 🍋🍋🍋🍋

Back to current times - Dublin under 20s come to Nowlan Park next Saturday on the back of two wins from two outings. Apparently Derek McGrath is having an influence on their success so we may be prepared for what that might be! Was he with Laois minors last year when they defeated us in the championship? Should we beat Dublin and Galway beat Wexford we'd go straight through to the Leinster semi final. I presume we'll have the three senior players with the under 20s again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Great win u20s, a belter of a match, great to see the negative tactics go out the window. Billy Drennan a class act again. The 2 Dunnes and Timmy Clifford are a handful also, Clifford is very direct. Leinster championship is turning out to be a cracker, 4/5 good teams in it. Lack of pace in the backs a negative but overall a very encouraging display of hurling. Great to see some badly needed new players ready to step up to senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

Collins at 14 for Galway was a joy to watch, best man on the field.

Such a game of two halves, I felt KK were blessed to be only 3 down at HT...couldn't really see the penalty, was towards the other end but a good few said it was very soft?

Huge transformation in the 3rd qtr, 9 unanswered points...Galway snapped out of it a bit after that but the damage was done.

Couple of great saves in the 2nd half from the GY goalie but then he was atrocious for Hackett's goal.

Drennan is an incredible freetaker, he must practice on very narrow posts, it's nearly always over the black spot.

Room for improvement in both teams.

I'd say both penalties were "soft". The wind had a bigger bearing on it than I thought during the match which meant both teams dominated when playing with the it. Kilkenny could have won by 10 or more. Hackett caught a great ball to the right of the goal, was clearly fouled, ball was cleared up the field and ended with a goal for Galway. Ted Dunne had been doing well at full forward but the mentors brought a different aspect to the attack and keep up the momentum by introducing Hackett.

Anyway, Dublin will be a big test.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

Our lads will have to prepare to come up against two sweepers, four midfielders and opposition players running the ball up the field in crowds with throws and short passed.

Very hard to play against.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any idea what happened to Tiernan Killeen? From reports, I heard he went down injured, without anyone being near him, and was carried off. Perhaps Galway's most influential player, a big loss when he departed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Maybe someone should tell Tom Ryan to calm down

https://extra.ie/2023/04/15/sport/gaa/tom-ryan-limerick-rivals

No idea, he just went down as you said. Galway could have done with him when playing against the wind in the second half. Kilkenny first out onto the pitch after half time and thundered into it. Could have won by ten points or more. They could very well meet again and we could have a different outcome, especially if our three senior panel players are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

Ref Killeen - Looked like he went over on his ankle from what i could see

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Wally will be out for another 4-5 weeks with his hamstring.

Gratz. Your spot on . Do I know you.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

You've an awful down on Cody. No manager is ever going to make the correct decisions all of the time. But his record speaks for itself. As for conor browne, whatever he's done to you must be severe. We could certainly have done with him in the league this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Correct and hogan is out for about the same with that hand injury.

I'm only guessing but I think the 3 u20 lads were kept with the seniors to see out the league and will now stay with the u20 for a few weeks. They didn't go to cork with the seniors for the weekend away.The u20s are playing before the seniors Saturday evening so hopefully people can head in and support them. Dublin are going well. If we win Saturday we should be into the leinster semi but the games will come fast and I'd prefer to let the lads give the next couple of weeks with the 20s because the knockout starts after Saturday and we could be gone early. Them lads give that group a huge boost obviously. Niall Rowe and Harry were also a big help and eoghan lyng much more comfortable at 6. Hopefully denis Walsh can get back aswell.

The seniors with all due respect should get up and running Saturday evening.The league final drubbing will be fresh in their memory. It was a very dissapointing performance by management and players. I'd expect Lawlor to go back to 3 with conor Whelan coming the following week although we'd like him at 6 he's one of the best full backs in the country. Tommy and butler probably play better with him in the middle. I know he's being tried everywhere but I'd put padriag at 6 and Reid and blanchfield on the wings. We've being very inconsistent in a lot of areas but a return of a miserable 5 points in the 2nd half the last day was embarrassing. The return of tj and Adrian to the front 8 will be a huge help. I'd like to see Adrian and Paddy mullen at midfield later in the year.But like Lawlor we need Adrian in both areas of the field.We need to settle on a midfield pairing anyway.Fogarty and Murphy done well against cork in the semi but this is an ideal game for Paddy mullen he impressed before getting injured.

Up front too many of our fowards are inconsistent. Billy Ryan,eoin Cody,mossy and Donnelly.Our movement was catastrophic in league final but our puckouts were nearly as bad. Alot of people including myself are critical of deegan but cody and Billy Ryan and a few others need to step it up big time.Deegan altho headless does the bit of donkey work that's required. He will probably hold his place Wing foward.

Tj should come back and its probably a nice enough game to get going again. He will move around the place but is still so important to how we play.

Scruff-the spotlight is on his puckouts now but they're only as good as the movement but I never liked the snow he puts on them. He should be able to ping puckouts.

Butler,Lawlor,Tommy

Blanchfield,padriag,Reid

Paddy mullen,fogarty

Adrian,Donnelly,deegan

Cody,mossy,tj

It's a toss up between a few players who are at a similar level. Kenny,Murphy,Billy Ryan etc.

Janey Brookeville no Boro lads on your team. For change and Marooned will still try blame Cody

• Advertisement

Ah boy where did you come out of all of a sudden. I didn’t mention anything about Boro lads being on the senior team I was only commenting on some village men being picked for being village men and not there hurling prowess. Go back in your box.

Advertisement