Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Good opportunity to introduce mason melia for pats, 3-1 + a man up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great goal to drag one back, Shams all over them but could've been 3-1 there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Easy win for Galway over Cabinteely anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Couple of home decisions going rovers way, luckily they didn’t cost us there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Disastrous result for City tonight.

Games were poor on Monday but great tonight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Great result and keeps us in with a shout. Two home clean sheets in a row and finally getting a goal hopefully gives us some momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Crazy, Crazy match but we get the three points. Some super saves by Lyness were needed. We weren't great against 10 men in the 2nd half but we did enough. Hopefully Redmond isn't out for the rumored 12 weeks, our defense is very shaky with Lewis and McGrath.

Hope whoever collapsed in the stand is ok, hate seeing things like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Cracking game to watch at Dalymount. Hope whatever medical incident happened in the stand isn't serious and the person recovers.

Shout-out to the bus driver for attacking the ref after being ignored before the match 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

We almost conspired to throw a great position away ! Very poor in the second half. All we needed to do was get on the ball, but we never did. Still, a great three points to get. Bring on the Rovers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Thought we were excellent against Rovers. With their quality they’re gonna score goals. It’s not a capitulation at all. We were the better team in the first half. Don’t think Bradley expected us to play 3 in the middle and didn’t deal with it well.

Then he changed it at HT and Rovers dominated the second.

Sometimes it takes a little while to get going though after coming up a level. Duff defo didn’t have us going the same way in series 1 last season, but Jaysus I wouldn’t trade him for anyone now.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Nah, I won’t act like I know your situation better than you. I’ve watched you once this season and it was against us when you were awful.

Maybe the similarities aren’t there and Healy isn’t up to the task. I thought he did well in a First Division with Galway and Waterford in it with decent budgets, but again, I was only following the results rather than watching the games so I will bow to the superior insight of those on the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We absolutely walloped Bray last night. We were clinical, professional and thoroughly deserved the 6 goals. We were superb all over the pitch, numerous stand out performers. Just need to keep it going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thought Shels were fairly solid against Rovers last night and the better side in the first half. Their second goal was a clinical counter attack. But Rovers really bossed it in the second half and it was no surprise we came back and got a point. Byrne and Burke have been great the last few games and would remind you why they've both got moves abroad and Ireland caps. If Johnny Kenny was more alert/sharp we would've won the game. He had two or three half chances that you'd have said Gaffney might have scored. Entertaining game though and good atmosphere hopefully it looked good on the telly.

Sam Curtis generating a lot of interest but he lacks a yard of pace for his position to my eye. He’ll need to transition infield to make the big time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Should have come away with a point there. You'd be forgiven for thinking Pat's were down to ten in the 2nd half (they certainly should have been).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Blues got the win last nite, that's the only positive.. Kerry played 10 behind the ball for 90 mins.. Even at that we should have had 4 or 5 goals win a bit of luck and better finishing.. Galway are on some roll at the minute, still if we win our game in hand we're only 7 points off them after the first round of games, we've definitely turned a corner and are playing better by the game.. Still a long way to go and lots of games to be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Unfortunately, that's the approach that has to be taken at times, when you guys had just scored 10 in your last two games, and a similar result to the Galway match could easily have been on the cards. Even if it's not showing points-wise, Kerry have certainly grown as a team in the last few games, they've gone from conceding 17 in the first 5, to 5 in the last 4, now we just need to get the balance right and have a bit more creativity going forward. Kevin Williams, Rob Vasiu, Seán McGrath, and Leo Gaxha have been the standout players so far, the biggest surprise being that Matt Keane has been fairly anonymous so far, given his experience in the division.

• Advertisement

Treaty have really dropped a level this season, definitely shouldn't be troubling Waterford.

We've really upped it this season. Last night was a canter and that was without Manning or Donelon involved. At the moment it's hard to see us dropping any points, obviously the time will come and the reaction will be the key to whether we win the league or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Don’t know how Shels keeper didn’t get a yellow card for all that time wasting in the second half. Duff certainly has Shels set up to be hard to break down. Once they went ahead with the lucky og they just defended with 10 men and Rovers build up was too slow to open them.

Second half Rovers were excellent and upped the pace completely, no idea how they didn’t get the winner. Only weak spot I reckon they have is Markus Pohm, in the second half he got several passes that just needed a decent cross but couldn’t beat the first man.

Great atmosphere though and great to see so many families there in a crowd of nearly 7000

Credit to Shels, they defended when they had to but were always dangerous on the break, reckon Duff is getting the best out of that team. No team will get an easy match against them.

I would honestly say Tallaght Stadium is the worst atmosphere in the league outside UCD. Best team in the league and best facilities for sure, but I do often feel like I’m at a rugby game (yes I’ve unfortunately been dragged into going to some of these against my will) rather than a LOI game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Unlike recent games Poom was operating out on the left in the second half and that clearly didn't suit him. I think he has been decent for Rovers but keep him in the middle. Trevor Clarke would have been ideal out there but wasn't even on the bench.

Re the Shels keeper he must have been bursting for a p*ss in the dressing room the amount of times he felt the need to go to the back of the net for a drink from his water bottle! Thought his kicking was poor and put it straight out over the side line three or four times. Also noticed he kicked the ball from his hands outside the penalty box at least twice in the second half. Narrow margins but keepers can get away with this as linesmen retreat towards the half way line with the defenders when they see a keeper going long.

It’s worth a mention that we are injury ravaged too. Boyd, Lukey Byrne, Gavin Molloy, JR Wilson and Coyle all real losses to a squad that would never have the ability to compete with the depth Rovers have in the first place.

Waterford were 1/25 pre match so kerry did well to keep it to one

Absolutely, feels different from the previous 2 seasons also. We're winning games comfortably, not resorting to sitting back deep and defending leads. We've goals from midfield that we weren't getting and we're dangerous on set pieces too. Brendan Clarke has been a huge signing though, his experience and organising is priceless.

Must depend where you are sitting? It was pretty loud where I was sitting, especially for the last 15 minutes. I couldn’t hear anything from the Shels supporters all game even though I was in the same stand so maybe it was the same for you?

• Advertisement

Ah ya the beating we gave them at least taught them that you can't just play an open game against the better teams away from home. Assumed they'd go to Waterford and just try and park the bus last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Very entertaining game in Tallaght. Tactically first half and for the siege second half. Though Rovers need to take more shots for all the pressure. Rovers could've won it, but a fair result was a draw and another stupid counter attacking goal on the edge of the Shels box with a free runner - same v Derry. So open at the back.

It is incredible though that Kearns wasn't booked. Doyle was onto him for timewasting from 30 minutes in, knew he was doing it and still didn't book him.

Yeah, second goal was a carbon copy of the Derry goal, quick counter attack after a Rovers attack, it’s where you can see Rovers are vulnerable when they commit so many players forward

I was in the away end. What I’m saying isn’t a criticism of the fans behind the goal. It’s more just the fact that the stadium is full around that and it’s pretty tame elsewhere. Added to some of the match day presentation.

Look, Rovers are filling their stadium most weeks and heading for 4 titles in a row, so I don’t think anyone will be too hurt over my opinion on this particular matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah the Derry goal sprang to mind immediately when they scored their second last night. Shels were dangerous on the counter in fairness.

I'd sort of agree about the atmosphere in Tallaght being a bit flat although I thought it was fairly good last night. Some thoughts:

- South stand feels quite far away from the rest of the stadium. Noise doesn't travel great especially on a windy evening.

- The reality of winning 3 titles in a row is fan expectations go way up. It is harder to get excited and create a good atmosphere going when you are in that position IMO.

- Could do with creating another singing section in the East Stand IMO. South stand is selling out miles in advance for most games and it's infested with kids. I think having a second singing section would help generate atmosphere - but leave displays etc to the South stand.

What's the plan with the north stand when it's done? It would be way too big to put just away fans in surely. It looks great but I reckon it will be the least appealing stand to sit in.

Most Rovers fans aren’t interested in joining another singing section, we have one already. Like most of my fellow east standers and I’d say people in the west stand we go along, take our seats and shout encouragement on a regular basis whether we’re defending or attacking.

North stand will be an overflow stand for the big games , reckon it’s main use will be for Ireland u21 and womens game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Drogheda's first choice XI back tonight.

Unfortunately, that includes Colin McCabe in goal. The worst keeper in the PD.

Sligo should be happy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As a Square end of the West Stand matchgoer...there will be migration from there if the press and vip areas get expanded in the West stand.

You'll need a good waterproof jacket though. Again, the roof does not cover the stand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Terrific point for Drogheda in Sligo. Ryan Brennan could have scored a hat-trick.

Are Shels the only club whose fans produce a currently active fanzine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

The Shels keeper was kicking from his hands outside the box in the first half too, we were right in line with it in the west stand. It was so noticeable that even my young lad said it to me and that sort of stuff normally passes him by.

Thought the Shels fans were very loud until they conceded, then they went a bit quiet. The south stand seemed quieter than normal but that may have been where were sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Disappointed with our point at Oriel.

Simply not clinical enough against what was a poor Dundalk side, until they made their 2nd half subs, which brought them into game. Dundalk 2nd was a shocking error on our part. Fell asleep.

We aren't playing well at all. And as bad as the pitch is at Brandywell, that oriel pitch is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Great weekend for Pats results wise. Everyone else around us dropping points. Nice. Feels like it could be a real rollercoaster of a season though.

It's amazing to see that we're 2nd despite the losing 3 of the first 5 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

As far as I'm aware, this is the only league, a college team competes in in western Europe. Why is that?

Stick to the college/university pyramid no? And I went to UCD, but they don't belong in the main Irish football pyramid, fans or not.

But having no fans, highlights their inclusion as a joke. Outnumbered every home game by away fans, ridiculous.

People will argue for their inclusion, but universities don't belong in the main Irish football pyramid imo

As far as I'm aware, this is the only league a college team competes in in Western Europe.

You're wrong about that. Not even the only league on this island where a college team competes.

People will argue for their inclusion, but universities don't belong in the main Irish football pyramid imo

Then it's a good thing that your opinion doesn't mean anything when it comes to the Irish football pyramid.

He didn’t say it but he probably meant the premier division in LOI is the only top division in Western Europe with a college team.

ucd serve a purpose but ultimately having a college team in your domestic top division is small time.

its nothing against ucd, it’s more an indictment of counties that are well populated but can’t sustain a team

And, again, he'd be wrong about that too. The Welsh Premier Division has Cardiff Met University in the top tier.

I understand that people aren't gone on UCD being in the top tier. I've no problem with that. But it's bizarre that some people (not all) blame UCD for that and not the shocking set up in other cities that should really be miles ahead of us. The way to keep UCD out of the premier division is to relegate us. Waterford had an opportunity in each of the last two seasons to keep us out of the premier division but imploded in both games (sacking their manager the week before the first playoff and skying a last minute gift of a penalty over the bar in last year's one).

This is absolutely fair tbh. UCD absolutely shouldn’t be in Premier Division IMO, but that needs to be because there’s 10 better teams than them, rather than because people don’t want it to be so. I mean I’d like Bohs to be removed also if it’s that easy to get rid of someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup - longest running in Ireland too. Next one out this Friday at Tolka or online (https://redsindependent.bigcartel.com/product/ri83)

Post edited by Gavin "shels" on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement